Blaze Bayley

I loved Blaze when the band first came out, two great albums and then the cracks began to show with losing Jeff Singer over playing Maiden covers
I think playing Maiden covers was just a very small part in him deciding to leave, the same with other band members:
The steady line-up has changed, why has Rob and Jeff left the band?

Living and breathing this kind of music takes a lot of commitment and although Jeff was fully committed we couldn�t give him the security he needed at the stage he was at in his life so he decided to leave. Rob just said he didn�t enjoy it anymore and wanted a change.
- Blaze, interviewed for the release of Blood and Belief, in 2004.

Singer then took other gigs within the music industry and later joined Paradise Lost (and is currently playing with my Dying Bride).
Naylor left Blaze and became an airline captain. But if things had worked out for Blaze, they would have stayed longer, the same for Wray and Slater.

Last edited:
I remember at the time Singer specifically mentioning it, he didn't mind doing Man on the Edge as it was a hit and associated with Blaze but they started doing songs like Sign of the Cross that Blaze didn't even write.

Yes, I have read that too, but I think that was just Singer expressing his frustration for the whole project in a simple way - the lack of commercial success after 2 albums and some personal issues with Bayley were the real reasons.

In "At the end of the day" it is mentioned that he wanted to leave after finishing the "Tenth Dimension tour" in the late summer of 2002, but that he was convinced to stay in the band for a bit longer, to record "As Live As It Gets".

So clearly, there were issues before Blaze were planning to play Sign of the Cross (he didn't do that during the Tenth Dimension tour).

Last edited:
they will finally play it live…just in India :lol: and later will be dropped and replace for Wrathchild because the tempos are very difficult and…well it doesn't works live
But to appease the fans, the lyrics to "Wrathchild" will be altered.

Born into a scene, in a part ancient of Greece
In a land called Macedonia
His father was the king, his mother was a queen
And at 19 he took the throne, yuh

Now he spends his time riding all around
So much to conquer, can you hear that sound?
He founded Alexandrias, and beat the Persians
If you cross Alex, you're surely done!

Cuz he's Alexander
Yeah he's Alexander
Oh he's Alexander
He's comin' to find you
Ooo yeah yeah!

Some say it doesn't matter, ain't nothin' gonna alter
The course of his destination
He wants to command all of the land
Or else he'll just go crazy!

A trip into India wounded his pride
And no one knows how he died!

Cuz he's Alexander
Yeah he's Alexander
Oh he's Alexander
He's comin' to find you
Ooo yeah yeah!

:ahhh:

But to appease the fans, the lyrics to "Wrathchild" will be altered.

Born into a scene, in a part ancient of Greece
In a land called Macedonia
His father was the king, his mother was a queen
And at 19 he took the throne, yuh

He founded Alexandrias, and beat the Persians
If you cross Alex, you're surely done!

Cuz he's Alexander
Yeah he's Alexander
Oh he's Alexander
He's comin' to find you
Ooo yeah yeah!

Some say it doesn't matter, ain't nothin' gonna alter
The course of his destination
He wants to command all of the land
Or else he'll just go crazy!

A trip into India wounded his pride
And no one knows how he died!

Cuz he's Alexander
Yeah he's Alexander
Oh he's Alexander
He's comin' to find you
Ooo yeah yeah!

:ahhh:
:applause::applause::applause:
He's coming to get you ...

I listened to Infinite Entanglement today. The trilogy is no mean feat. Kudos to Blaze for pulling it off, a trilogy concept where the story is well written, interesting and backed by great music (at least, two out of three LPs are great. The third is a bit of lackluster). They would've been perfect with Andy Sneap's production...

Speaking about Sneap, this is one of the albums he produced just before being hired for Silicon Messiah in 1999:

Also featuring Jeff Singer on drums (Sneap then suggested him for BLAZE, which Bayley agreed on).
Silicon Messiah was mainly a heavy metal record, but one that used similar producing/mixing techniques as Kill II This, a band of the U.K nu-metal scene at the time, which makes it sound unique.

Last edited:
Speaking about Sneap, this is one of the albums he produced just before being hired for Silicon Messiah in 1999:

Also featuring Jeff Singer on drums (Sneap then suggested him for BLAZE, which Bayley agreed on).
Silicon Messiah was mainly a heavy metal record, but one that used similar producing/mixing techniques as Kill II This, a band of the U.K nu-metal scene at the time, which makes it sound unique.
That was really interesting.

Didn’t Kill II This support Bruce Dickinson on The Chemical Wedding tour?

Back