Blaze Bayley

Blaze Bayley just announced a "Tenth Dimension" tour in the UK and Europe in September and November:

1581366178023.png

Not too familiar with this album (his 2nd). "Kill and Destroy" is a good energetic rocker and "Meant to Be" is one of his best songs - but not sure how well that'll translate live.

Hopefully in the summer he'll do a tour (either the Maiden 25th anniversary, or this) in North America.

Blaze Bayley just announced a "Tenth Dimension" tour in the UK and Europe in September and November:

View attachment 11411

Not too familiar with this album (his 2nd). "Kill and Destroy" is a good energetic rocker and "Meant to Be" is one of his best songs - but not sure how well that'll translate live.

Hopefully in the summer he'll do a tour (either the Maiden 25th anniversary, or this) in North America.
He played a good few songs from Tenth Dimension on his As Live As it Gets album, and I thought they worked well. While he's playing a good few songs from Tenth, he's also doing stuff from the new trilogy and a few Maiden songs too.

Interestingly, for those of you who got into the Infinite Entanglement trilogy, he's been saying lately that he considers the Tenth Dimension album to be a prequel to the IE trilogy. Hopefully he'll explain his line of thinking, considering the two have thematic ties with things like an evil government seeking to crush the unnamed main character of TD and William Black of IE, they're both sci-fi concept albums, but story-wise I'm not seeing much of a direct link. Maybe I haven't dug into their lyrics enough.

View attachment 11411

Oohh I could be tempted by that, not sure how safe a Dublin registered car is in Ballymena though!

View attachment 11411

Ah, gotta love how he returns to Mäntyharju; relatively small municipality in Southern Savonia, Finland, with a population around 5800-6000. It's not too near to any "major" city, even though Mikkeli is very close, but I remember Blaze having good relations with the bar owner and he has mentioned Mäntyharju being one of the few places around here where he could get a show arranged back in the day when his previous band was split up and things weren't looking as good as they are now.

It's not too far away, so I might attend!

Last edited:
Blaze: ''The only thing I would change during my time with Maiden, really, is when we did ''Lightning Strikes Twice'' [from Virtual XI], we didn't rehearse it too much before recording it," he said. "Then, when I performed it live, I found I hadn't left room to breathe, so it was difficult''.

^he probably have in mind the chorus of the song. If I'm not mistaken, he once said that ''Heaven Can Wait'' was a difficult song for him to sing live.

He also said that Bruce is the sound of heavy metal singing!

All they would have had to do was switch “strikes twice” to a group vocal live. It would have worked fine and he would have had time to breathe.

Or ''strikes twice'' to be recorded as a group vocal in the studio version. That would have been a bit of experimentation for the band.

Blaze: ''The only thing I would change during my time with Maiden, really, is when we did ''Lightning Strikes Twice'' [from Virtual XI], we didn't rehearse it too much before recording it," he said. "Then, when I performed it live, I found I hadn't left room to breathe, so it was difficult''.
Steve and his penchant for writing unsingable lyrics ... ::)

All they would have had to do was switch “strikes twice” to a group vocal live. It would have worked fine and he would have had time to breathe.

There were a lot of choices during this era where the answers should be painfully obvious. The "Strikes Twice!" part is obvious for crowd participation or Steve doing that bit. Downtuning Bruce songs for Blaze was obvious on a third grade level, and getting Blaze a new monitor setup guy was the third so he could actually move around the stage on The X Factour.

Reactions: Jer
There were a lot of choices during this era where the answers should be painfully obvious. The "Strikes Twice!" part is obvious for crowd participation or Steve doing that bit. Downtuning Bruce songs for Blaze was obvious on a third grade level, and getting Blaze a new monitor setup guy was the third so he could actually move around the stage on The X Factour.

Which makes one think: why did Blaze wait for so long to raise these issues?

Which makes one think: why did Blaze wait for so long to raise these issues?
Think of it in the context of what Blaze walked into with Maiden in the 90's. He was replacing the voice of 80's heavy metal (one Mr. Dickinson). Blaze Bayley was the new guy at work to end all new guy's at work. I don't think it would have been a good look for him to go, "hey uh Steve man I know you're going through that whole divorce thing and your dad just passed but I'm having a bit of trouble here myself keeping up can we try things a bit different?". I don't know Steve Harris well, nor will I pretend to know him, but I'd imagine that wouldn't have flown too well.

Think of it in the context of what Blaze walked into with Maiden in the 90's. He was replacing the voice of 80's heavy metal (one Mr. Dickinson). Blaze Bayley was the new guy at work to end all new guy's at work. I don't think it would have been a good look for him to go, "hey uh Steve man I know you're going through that whole divorce thing and your dad just passed but I'm having a bit of trouble here myself keeping up can we try things a bit different?". I don't know Steve Harris well, nor will I pretend to know him, but I'd imagine that wouldn't have flown too well.

Fair enough, but the bottom line is that Blaze was completely out of his depth and not up to scratch in Maiden.

Agreed but I am not one to change history. I enjoy those two albums for what they are. The X Factor more so than Virtual XI. One has to question though: who would've even been up to snuff to replace Dickinson? Think about this too: Fear of the Dark and No Prayer weren't even hard albums to top. In fact, I think there's more depth in Sign of the Cross than those two aforementioned albums combined. But Dickinson was Maiden at that point (and is still Maiden, there can't be a substitute to the guy).

But I aint one to change history like I said. I'm completely lost at who could've even tried to do a better job than Blaze (who was both on the market and likely to have pleased Steve).

Back