Blaze Bayley

But he was a limited option taken solely to satisfy Harris's current mood, at the time. He was never Dickinson caliber and he knows it, it was generous of Harris to give gig to Bayley in the first place, and I bet the financial exit package wasn't thin at all

Blaze was picked because he wasn't a Bruce replica - He was everything BUT that, which was what Steve was looking for at the time. Maybe that decision was made party out of animosity for Bruce (remember there was a lot of bad blood between Steve and Bruce when Bruce decided to quit) and who knows maybe the decision to go for Blaze instead of someone who could nail Hallowed like Bruce had done did come back to haunt Steve/the band out on the tours with Blaze and leading to him getting the boot...

Whatever Sanctuary didn't do to promote his career, if it was intentional, was Smallwood's pick.
I'm not sure how much influence Smallwood really had on Sanctuary's management of the BLAZE band between 1999-2001. Dave Thorne was put in charge early and it was he who secured the deal with German label SPV, etc. Blaze's opinion was that Thorne never did much for the band.

The band was later dropped by Sanctuary during the recordings of Tenth Dimension, because Blaze refused to pay a commission fee (At the End of the Day, Patterson). But we have to remember that Silicon Messiah was released on SPV and not on a label which belonged to Sanctuary - which propably means that they had the final call on its release date!

But at least Maiden were kind enough to promote it on their website back in the day.
176.jpg

Last edited:
Operation: Mindcrime ft. Blaze and Ripper:

This is really terrible. The production is terrible, the vocal melodies in the verses are terrible, the mixing is terrible and the vocalists are buried, the guitar solo is terrible, the video of them reading the lyrics in Bubba's Roadhouse Grill is terrible...God, it's so bad.

Hm. Aside from the extremely bad production...I don't know. Although I didn't have patience to get to the solo, song is a bit meh.

And because one bad video isn't enough for one week:

At least this one is just a bunch of live/candid footage, but those scrawling prompts just make it look like a cheesy press packet made solely to get Bayley more gigs. Oh, and the song is better than O:MC for sure.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geo...-trinity-tour/

"The three vocalists will be backed by the same group of excellent musicians throughout the evening in a show that promises to be loaded with memorable metal for the music masses to enjoy.
Fans can expect to hear such songs as 'Empire', 'I Don't Believe In Love', 'Eyes Of A Stranger', 'Living After Midnight', 'Breaking The Law', 'You've Got Another Thing Comin', 'Burn In Hell', 'Man On The Edge', 'The Number Of The Beast' and 'Run To The Hills', among others."

14102147_1255776217789228_2247151545361624652_n.jpg

Run to the Hills?? Run to the Hills???? :eek: :lol:

Operation: Mindcrime ft. Blaze and Ripper:

This is really terrible. The production is terrible, the vocal melodies in the verses are terrible, the mixing is terrible and the vocalists are buried, the guitar solo is terrible, the video of them reading the lyrics in Bubba's Roadhouse Grill is terrible...God, it's so bad.
Ah well, the distortion is much less audible on Spotify than in the video. But yes, this sounds very lifeless and squashed.

I do like the song (although the guitar solos are pretty redundant. They are the equivalent of musical farting), and this is Tate actually trying somewhat. Hell, put together the better tunes from his past few efforts and you get a pretty good album. :D

The latest album is coming out on vinyl.

I would have preferred Tenth Dimension (the artwork would look great), Blood and Belief, or maybe As Live As It Gets, as it is the only album he has not done any reprints of.
But I'm glad that we got a release of Silicon Messiah on vinyl.

Blaze%2BBayley%2Bblack%2Bvinyl%2Brecords.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it WILL be interesting to hear him do Run To The Hills...Much more interesting than whatever sci-fi album he's writing next :p

Ripper is the one that should be singing Run to the Hills.
Don't think the others can.

I agree. I'm sure Blaze can sing it..but it takes more to do the song justice..I think he should be thankful that they never did it on the two Maiden tours he was on.

I have never been a Blaze basher, and I haven't exactly kept up on his career.
But the vocals in the video Knick posted above are horrible; no one with any vocal training whatsoever would believe that man was a professional singer.

Yeah. I'm the same way, he's a nice guy. I like his vocals on Virtual and X-Factor...He had nice nights live too..but it's no secret that Blaze performed absolutely atrocious on some/many nights too..Out of tune and botching lyrics. Also late in the tours. I shudder to think how he would have done RTTH late in the set when he couldn't do half of the Bruce songs already in the set....

I'm sure that Blaze's version will be in a different key, at least one whole step lower than the original, and he'll sound fine. Weird, but fine.

Ripper would definitely do a better job in the original key, though.

Back