Blaze Bayley

He sounded really amazing on Afraid to Shoot Strangers, even adding a higher vocal line than in Bruce's version, at the end of the song.
(The sound is taken from the same concert as the Eternal Flame bootleg - Sweden 1995).

I don't get why the band couldn't do "Hallowed Be Thy Name" in this style for example? The guitars playing lower notes sound great!

I don't know, forgetting the lyrics to songs that were recorded on an album you sang on is pretty poor. That aside, while I like reading these things about Blaze, I'm always drawn back to the same fundamentally obvious issue: to my ears, he just isn't that strong a singer. I don't really understand the dogged defending. Maybe I'm missing something, can someone maybe post something of Blaze live with anyone (doesn't need to be Maiden) where the vocal performance is stellar?

Also, that video above has different video cuts: Dave's guitar changes colour. And Blaze doesn't even do shouting at the crowd well...

Dogged(?) defending?

We're just explaining what happened according to Blaze. We feel that, while on tour, he wasn't in an ideal situation to say the least. And some of us (maybe more than we both expect) like the majority of what he did with his voice on The X-Factor and Virtual XI albums, and on a number of his solo works (have you finally heard some???). Not as strong as Bruce, but different.

I am not sure if Blaze has ever been stellar live. But his solo career (and a number of Maiden) songs went good enough to enjoy.

Here my account on his live singing:

I have seen Blaze solo thrice, but also two times with Maiden, in 1995 and 1998.

What was it like? Well, back in 1995, it was only the second Maiden concert I visited. I had seen the band one time before that, and that was in 1992. I didn't see the band in the eighties, so I didn't have a huge "Bruce concert past" as many older people around that time. I was 20, and I was just terribly excited to see the band, and -in a time without internet- I was mighty curious about the songs. So the whole thing was more about the gig and the music, than about Blaze. To be honest, I'd seen Blaze on MTV (Ray Cokes!) doing Man On The Edge and Wrathchild and that went very good. Blaze had a different voice, maybe even a different approach than the other singers but as long as it sounded good, it was OK for me. The Di'Anno material certainly fitted his voice well. Also his own songs went pretty good. Someone earlier in this topic said that the TXF songs sounded so much better live than the studio versions. This was true, but believe me: this is the case with most Maiden songs.

Blaze came across as a humble and motivated person, with as much fire in the eyes as Bruce.
It showed he was in a band he loved and he respected the audience very much. I liked his performance, but the 1980s Bruce-era songs were hard to do for him. Too high for his range. Why do I say 1980s Bruce-era, and not just Bruce-era? You'll see that later. During the concert it didn't show that much (I was at least as focused on the other guys, and very in awe to see Maiden again), but listening to bootlegs it's easier to focus on it.

From the regular TXF-tour setlist the following songs went not that good or even very bad:

Heaven Can Wait
The Evil That Men Do
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Clairvoyant
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name

These songs went from pretty OK to very good:

Man On The Edge
Wrathchild
Lord of the Flies
Fortunes of War
Blood on the World's Hands
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Aftermath
Sign of the Cross
The Edge of Darkness
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
Running Free

From the non-Blaze era songs I particularly remember that he was very good in Wrathchild, Fear of the Dark and also Afraid to Shoot Strangers. From the TXF songs, I thought he did Man on the Edge and Blood on the World's Hands the best.

Three years later, Maiden was back. This time I stood closer to the stage and had a very good view on Blaze and the other moving band members. Blaze looked much more comfortable in his role as frontman and the band was (as always) on fire. I remember a particular awesome part in the set where Sign of the Cross, Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Hallowed Be Thy Name were played in a row! :blink:

This time I'll focus on the songs which went not good, or (very) bad:

Lightning Strikes Twice (he couldn't do the chorus)
Heaven Can Wait
2 Minutes To Midnight
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Evil That Men Do

Of course, in other songs he had some edgy moments, but such things are only notable on bootlegs. Again I was in awe of seeing the band, and I swear, that even though I realized that Blaze didn't do some songs that well, I was still happy with the performance and I didn't mind he was in the band. At the time I liked both Blaze albums, but now I am more critical with VXI.

Judgement:

Was Blaze a bad performer?
No

Was Blaze a bad singer?
No

Was Blaze a bad singer when it comes to 1980s Bruce era songs and other high parts in some other songs?
Yes

The setlist didn't do much good. Even though these difficult songs were less than the half of the set, these were the moments many people remember. Especially the people who only compared Blaze with Bruce and who didn't want to accept Blaze as a new singer, joining Maiden in a new chapter of the book.

Other aspects (taken from Blaze's official biography) Blaze had to deal with: failing techniques (soundwise), short rehearsing time, and he had to deal with an annoying roady, I think it was a monitor man.

Blaze himself did his utter best but he had to work in difficult circumstances and he had to deal with an enormous legacy. I really wish people would read his biography. It gives honest insight into his world at the time.

Despite all the criticism, right before and after he was replaced, the first time I saw Blaze solo, after his debut, I was immediately convinced that he was a good performer, and singer.

Last edited:
The sound in that videoclip is taken from Gothenburg 1995, but the footage of the band looks like it is partly from Sao Paulo 1996.

As of forgetting lyrics and CriedWhenBrucieLeft considering it to be "pretty poor", it happens even to the very best...
1:09 - I have seen many things, Santa Claus play guitar, oh my god help me up, i forgot were i am....

And speaking of Blaze, I think that he is very strong on his live album "As Live As It Gets".

Last edited:
As of forgetting lyrics and CriedWhenBrucieLeft considering it to be "pretty poor", it happens even to the very best...

Yep, on the various bootlegs I've heard, Bruce is very guilty of forgetting lyrics too. Donington '92 as another example, "The Evil That Men Do" had to be overdubbed because Bruce bungled the lyrics up quite nicely.

As for defending Blaze, I agree, the last several posts have been demonstrating factors that contributed to hobbling his chances of performing well on the tour. Nobody's saying he was as good as Bruce, and I doubt there are many who think he was a great choice for Maiden in the first place (album-wise, certainly debatable--live, on the other hand, I imagine few would say he was amazing while playing with Maiden).

I also agree that I don't know if Blaze has ever been stellar. He's a singer of average ability, but I really like his singing regardless. And basing how good he is solely on live performances from the Maiden days is just not a fair way to judge him. He was a much more exciting performer while with Wolfsbane, what with a sort of wildman persona, and a stronger, more consistent performer in his solo years due to singing every night within his range. I saw him in 2011 (along with 20 or so other people), and put on a brilliant show.

Yep, on the various bootlegs I've heard, Bruce is very guilty of forgetting lyrics too. Donington '92 as another example, "The Evil That Men Do" had to be overdubbed because Bruce bungled the lyrics up quite nicely.
And that would be an example of Bruce being pretty poor too. I never compared him to Bruce; you guys are just assuming I did/am.
As for defending Blaze, I agree, the last several posts have been demonstrating factors that contributed to hobbling his chances of performing well on the tour. Nobody's saying he was as good as Bruce, and I doubt there are many who think he was a great choice for Maiden in the first place (album-wise, certainly debatable--live, on the other hand, I imagine few would say he was amazing while playing with Maiden).
Yip, fair enough.
I also agree that I don't know if Blaze has ever been stellar. He's a singer of average ability, but I really like his singing regardless. And basing how good he is solely on live performances from the Maiden days is just not a fair way to judge him. He was a much more exciting performer while with Wolfsbane, what with a sort of wildman persona, and a stronger, more consistent performer in his solo years due to singing every night within his range. I saw him in 2011 (along with 20 or so other people), and put on a brilliant show.
Can I ask you all seriously why you think so few people turn out to see him live?

We're just explaining what happened according to Blaze. We feel that, while on tour, he wasn't in an ideal situation to say the least. And some of us (maybe more than we both expect) like the majority of what he did with his voice on The X-Factor and Virtual XI albums, and on a number of his solo works (have you finally heard some???). Not as strong as Bruce, but different.

I am not sure if Blaze has ever been stellar live. But his solo career (and a number of Maiden) songs went good enough to enjoy.

Here my account on his live singing:

I have seen Blaze solo thrice, but also two times with Maiden, in 1995 and 1998.

What was it like? Well, back in 1995, it was only the second Maiden concert I visited. I had seen the band one time before that, and that was in 1992. I didn't see the band in the eighties, so I didn't have a huge "Bruce concert past" as many older people around that time. I was 20, and I was just terribly excited to see the band, and -in a time without internet- I was mighty curious about the songs. So the whole thing was more about the gig and the music, than about Blaze. To be honest, I'd seen Blaze on MTV (Ray Cokes!) doing Man On The Edge and Wrathchild and that went very good. Blaze had a different voice, maybe even a different approach than the other singers but as long as it sounded good, it was OK for me. The Di'Anno material certainly fitted his voice well. Also his own songs went pretty good. Someone earlier in this topic said that the TXF songs sounded so much better live than the studio versions. This was true, but believe me: this is the case with most Maiden songs.

Blaze came across as a humble and motivated person, with as much fire in the eyes as Bruce.
It showed he was in a band he loved and he respected the audience very much. I liked his performance, but the 1980s Bruce-era songs were hard to do for him. Too high for his range. Why do I say 1980s Bruce-era, and not just Bruce-era? You'll see that later. During the concert it didn't show that much (I was at least as focused on the other guys, and very in awe to see Maiden again), but listening to bootlegs it's easier to focus on it.

From the regular TXF-tour setlist the following songs went not that good or even very bad:

Heaven Can Wait
The Evil That Men Do
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Clairvoyant
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name

These songs went from pretty OK to very good:

Man On The Edge
Wrathchild
Lord of the Flies
Fortunes of War
Blood on the World's Hands
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Aftermath
Sign of the Cross
The Edge of Darkness
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
Running Free

From the non-Blaze era songs I particularly remember that he was very good in Wrathchild, Fear of the Dark and also Afraid to Shoot Strangers. From the TXF songs, I thought he did Man on the Edge and Blood on the World's Hands the best.

Three years later, Maiden was back. This time I stood closer to the stage and had a very good view on Blaze and the other moving band members. Blaze looked much more comfortable in his role as frontman and the band was (as always) on fire. I remember a particular awesome part in the set where Sign of the Cross, Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Hallowed Be Thy Name were played in a row! :blink:

This time I'll focus on the songs which went not good, or (very) bad:

Lightning Strikes Twice (he couldn't do the chorus)
Heaven Can Wait
2 Minutes To Midnight
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Evil That Men Do

Of course, in other songs he had some edgy moments, but such things are only notable on bootlegs. Again I was in awe of seeing the band, and I swear, that even though I realized that Blaze didn't do some songs that well, I was still happy with the performance and I didn't mind he was in the band. At the time I liked both Blaze albums, but now I am more critical with VXI.

Judgement:

Was Blaze a bad performer?
No

Was Blaze a bad singer?
No

Was Blaze a bad singer when it comes to 1980s Bruce era songs and other high parts in some other songs?
Yes

The setlist didn't do much good. Even though these difficult songs were less than the half of the set, these were the moments many people remember. Especially the people who only compared Blaze with Bruce and who didn't want to accept Blaze as a new singer, joining Maiden in a new chapter of the book.

Other aspects (taken from Blaze's official biography) Blaze had to deal with: failing techniques (soundwise), short rehearsing time, and he had to deal with an annoying roady, I think it was a monitor man.

Blaze himself did his utter best but he had to work in difficult circumstances and he had to deal with an enormous legacy. I really wish people would read his biography. It gives honest insight into his world at the time.

Despite all the criticism, right before and after he was replaced, the first time I saw Blaze solo, after his debut, I was immediately convinced that he was a good performer, and singer.
Foro, I'll read all this later. I never said I didn't like (or anyone else didn't like) what he did on XF &/or VXI. Again, you're just assuming this is what I meant.

Also, no, I haven't listened to much of his solo stuff yet! :p

Of course Bruce had/has bad days too...but Blaze botched a lot of song lyrics during only two tours with Maiden....That just makes a bad impression no matter what. Especially when you're just starting out and your Dickinson's replacement...

Blaze was picked from a good, but nothing special, metal band who was riding a good wave in the 90s. Maiden just proved to be too much for him coupled with the other factors mentioned in this thread.

Botching lyrics in 3 or 4 tours would make a better impression?

Well if Bruce came out in 1982 and messed up all of the Di'Anno songs the fans would turn on him real quick. He didn't. Throughout his initial 10 year tenure with Maiden Bruce did make screw ups and botched lyrics too, yes, the difference is Blaze did it so much...and so early....

I think that Blaze gets a really bad rep nowadays (well, all the time, really), and it's not fair.

First of all, the band wanted a natural baritone to sing tenor material, on a rather heavy tour schedule. That alone would sink many singers. Seriously. Ask Johnny Cash to sing songs by Dio and he'll fail. That's no real assessment of the man's talent.

Also, the material written solely for Blaze didn't really take into consideration that he was just a regular (if good) singer, took from a B-band at moment's notice, suddenly trying to keep up with one of the biggest metal bands ever. He began to work on his skills and got much better as the years passed.

When all is said and done, Blaze is a good and very original singer. I like the sound of his voice, I think he's excellent when he sings his own material and my wife and my stepfather both prefer him in Maiden, because he's really exceptional, in his own way. I understand that sentiment. He is one of the many reasons TXF is one of my favourite albums and he can bring a tear to my eye if he wants to (Como Estais, anyone?). His solo career is absolutely excellent, probably not better than Bruce's, but then again, Bruce's solo career is currently higher in my book than Maiden, so it's not really fair to Blaze anyway.

I also relate to him more - the tears I mentined in the previous paragraph, those are his work only. I feel much more connected with him than with Bruce, who is mostly this übermensch figure. Blaze is much more emotional in my book. That's not necessarily better, just different.

So I would like for the dude to be finally shown some respect - I don't think anyone would fare better, given these cards in the beginning. Go put on Silicon Messiah and I'll hear some of your arguments then.

Unlike Paul, I consider Blaze on the same level as Bruce. He's just very different, but I enjoy him all the same. Bruce would never make TXF sound as it does in the end. Yeah, I would too be interested what would Maiden sound like with Russell Allen, but I guess I'll never have the chance to find out.

(and yes, you could blame my preferences on the fact that Blaze is closer to my natural voice, so I can sing his songs easier than Bruce's and sound good :p :D )

All in all, this all falls back on Steve. Blaze was a mediocre to good singer in his own band, Wolfsbane. Not suited for Maiden and Maiden wasn't going to make themselves suitable for Blaze. Steve made the wrong pick when Bruce left?

Can I ask you all seriously why you think so few people turn out to see him live?

The book points out a lot of reasons why Blaze slid downward since Maiden and kept sliding. I'm halfway through, and the thing kind of reads like a Greek tragedy, and I haven't even gotten to his wife's death yet. But I'd have to agree with one of his guitarists (I forget which one), who said in the book that Blaze's time in Maiden was a very good and a very bad thing. Very good, in that they got signed because of his name, but bad because he's forever attached to what is largely considered the lowest point of Maiden's career. Maiden fans should have been his core audience going into his solo career, but since he ended up leaving a bad impression on them, they were for the most part were happy to have Bruce back, and weren't about to follow Blaze after he was gone. Silicon Messiah proved he could lay down a great performance on record (and his solo tours have also been very favorable as far as his singing goes), but thrown up against Brave New World coupled with weak marketing, nobody heard it. He said that Silicon Messiah was pretty much his one shot to change people's opinions about him, and it went nowhere. Through financial issues, depression and bad choices, he simply continued to fade to arrive at the point where he is now: unable to afford to pay for a full-time band, and more than likely make enough to tour a little to tiny audiences, put out a record and DVD every now and then, and keep food on the table for himself, wife and daughter. He knows he doesn't have a ton of fans left, but even with 20 people in the crowd with me when I saw him, he seemed happy to be there.

It's a similar(ish) situation Bruce was in by the end of The Chemical Wedding tour. Though he was certainly pulling in audiences, he was gaining no ground whatsoever after releasing what he considered to be the best album of his career to that point. Wedding made about the same numbers Accident had. When I saw him on the Accident of Birth tour, he packed the place he played...but the place was still a bar. Despite his enormous talent and excellent albums released thus far, he certainly wasn't going to be the next Ozzy Osbourne as far as solo success goes. No doubt that factored into his decision to return to Maiden.

There's also a chance he was running low on money too, since I remember reading one live show review a loooong time ago where Bruce yelled at fans for taking the setlist sheets at the end of the show (which seems ridiculous, being printed paper and all).

I also relate to him more - the tears I mentined in the previous paragraph, those are his work only. I feel much more connected with him than with Bruce, who is mostly this übermensch figure. Blaze is much more emotional in my book. That's not necessarily better, just different.

This is generally how I feel about him too, and why I was pretty bummed about him being fired. He was the everyday fan with everyday talent who got into the biggest band in the world. He was the ultimate underdog, so it was easy for me to root for him. Bruce isn't so easy to relate with--he's got mountains of talent in everything he tried to do, more than most any fan out there. Calling him "ubermensch" is quite apt, actually, so you don't really root for Bruce, 'cause frankly, he doesn't need it.

Last edited:
I don't know what the book said about Silicon Messiah, but I really consider it one of the best metal albums ever made - up there with Powerslave and Heaven and Hell and Holy Diver and Stained Class and Master of Puppets and a whole host of other ones. It's a fucking shame it was released at the same time as Brave New World. Maiden could have done more for Blaze, but they fucking buried him when he was in and when he was out of the band, and it's a goddamn shame.

Yep, on the various bootlegs I've heard, Bruce is very guilty of forgetting lyrics too. Donington '92 as another example, "The Evil That Men Do"

I'd like to you to list those "various bootlegs".
Bruce is a world-class signer. He doesn't forget lyrics if he cares about the performance. In 1992 he didn't care and he didn't care too much about several Blaze tracks in 1999, and those were the only occasions where he botched anything.
I have all pro-recorded Maiden bootlegs. And tons of audience ones. There are several very bad performances (mostly due to exhaustion/illness) of Bruce but there's no botching.

Maybe we should not take (general) criticism on Blaze's singing that seriously, before people have given enough attention to his Blaze/solo career. Everything in correct order. :)

Last edited:
These days you mean? It wasn't always as bad as now. At this point, I can only say what I think that has happened:
- He released a few bad albums
- He played with insignificant (sometimes messy) musicians
- Management

Better read page 30, with also Perun's take.

Still, if he ever comes near, see if his you can be grabbed by the songs, his voice and the enthusiasm of the man himself. First, let's see how that new album will be.

Maiden could have done more for Blaze, but they fucking buried him when he was in and when he was out of the band, and it's a goddamn shame.

Yeah, they definitely could have done more for the guy. They weren't as dickish to him as Metallica/Jason for example, but still... 'Arry's refusal to tune differently to accomodate the singer he himself chose who had a different register... is a kind of backstab, much as I like and respect the guy otherwise.

Back