Blaze Bayley

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
I don't think Steve has listened to any soundboard tapes for many years...maybe those are hidden in a vault somewhere.
I can imagine that Blaze was able to push him himself to sound very good through the auditions though. I think he rehearsed 5 songs with the band and then recorded vocals over backing tracks in the studio. Maybe Steve got the impression that no downtuning was needed from those.
Spot on. Playing 17 songs live night after night is a lot harder than in the studio. And I think they/Steve realized that Blaze was going to have some issues live because they drooped one of their hits (Run To The Hills), but they couldn't have dropped more of them. They wanted something different with him, but they had to choose some other songs to play live. Not downtuning, that's not Maiden's thing as we know. Steve most likely remembers the songs that worked live more or less and is being polite, but Blaze wasn't the right voice/range for Maiden, odd choice by him/the band.
Eh, while I get your overall point, that's not a fact. That's purely conjecture. No one knows how things would've worked out with another singer. Chances are a singer with a larger range would still have caused issues and Maiden's popularity could still have declined. In a sense, all roads lead to Bruce
Agree and not to mention that Bruce always will be the only perfect vocalist for Maiden. I doubt that with a singer closer to Bruce's voice the albums would have been more successful, Ripper Owens is a good example, and it's not like Maiden with Bruce would have changed their style even a bit for the 90's (even like AOB style, for example), although they kind of did that with the 2 albums and FOTD was a successful album. The decline in metal definitely played its role back then, in terms of (the end of the day important) sales too, and especially back then. I think we can say that the style/approach would have been the same, so I wonder how TXF album would have been received with Bruce on vocals. Ofc with some different songs co-written by him. Bruce would have helped, but the decline was for every older band.

And by that point there were plenty of bands like Blind Guardian or Iced Earth that were tuning to Eb. Those are power metal bands, so it wasn't just relegated to "extreme" genres.

Hell, Michael Jackson's Beat It was in Eb and that's from 83.
Motorhead too

Yes, it is Rubin who ruined it all. Now, it's nice to see the band having the chance to re-record the album entirely with a more powerful sound. :)
Didn't rubin fuck up death magnetic too?

On another note so many Metallica albums have horrible or weird production issues. Death Magnetic (clipping), St Anger (deliberate attempt to sound like crap), Justice (no bass).

While I certainly don't think downtuning would have meant Blaze would still be Maiden's singer nowadays (he 100% wouldn't), I do think the live arena is where his era stumbled the most. Had they downtuned, his tenure might have at least been remembered more fondly than it is, and we might've even gotten a live album out of it. Though he was hoping otherwise, I think the culmination of events (Bruce practically beating the press over the head with hints he would return to Maiden, the catalogue sale, the reunion madness that was all the rage, etc.) meant a third Blaze album was never going to happen.

While I certainly don't think downtuning would have meant Blaze would still be Maiden's singer nowadays (he 100% wouldn't), I do think the live arena is where his era stumbled the most. Had they downtuned, his tenure might have at least been remembered more fondly than it is, and we might've even gotten a live album out of it. Though he was hoping otherwise, I think the culmination of events (Bruce practically beating the press over the head with hints he would return to Maiden, the catalogue sale, the reunion madness that was all the rage, etc.) meant a third Blaze album was never going to happen.
Let me start by saying that I have a lot of love for Blaze. However, his biggest challenge was his lack of technical preparation. Although he had time to train before hitting the road with the band, he struggled with some fundamental aspects of singing right from the start. His vocal range, inconsistent pitch, and poor diction and articulation all played a role in his difficulties. While he's improved significantly over the years and is now a much better singer, stepping into Bruce Dickinson's shoes without solid technical skills was a formidable task. Perhaps Iron Maiden could have accommodated Blaze with different tuning, but Blaze definitely wasn't fully prepared to fill Bruce's role. Anyone who attended a Wolfsbane gig back in the day knew that Jase Edwards was the only technically proficient member of the band. While Massive Noise Injection showcased a strong performance from Blaze, there were still inconsistencies in his live shows even back then. Instead of spending two years recording The X Factor, they should have put Blaze through a year of intensive vocal training, focusing on perfecting the songs he performed well on good days, such as Fear of the Dark, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and Hallowed Be Thy Name. They could have dropped The Trooper and The Clairvoyant from the setlist entirely. There were several other songs Blaze could have delivered more effectively, like Infinite Dreams, Wasted Years, Phantom of the Opera, and Where Eagles Dare. I understand what Steve heard in Blaze's voice in the early '90s—it's an amazing voice. However, I don't understand why Rod and Steve didn't reflect on what made Bruce great, namely his technical approach to singing, and either choose a more technically proficient singer or help Blaze develop those technical skills.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I have a lot of love for Blaze. However, his biggest challenge was his lack of technical preparation. Although he had time to train before hitting the road with the band, he struggled with some fundamental aspects of singing right from the start. His vocal range, inconsistent pitch, and poor diction and articulation all played a role in his difficulties. While he's improved significantly over the years and is now a much better singer, stepping into Bruce Dickinson's shoes without solid technical skills was a formidable task. Perhaps Iron Maiden could have accommodated Blaze with different tuning, but Blaze definitely wasn't fully prepared to fill Bruce's role. Anyone who attended a Wolfsbane gig back in the day knew that Jase Edwards was the only technically proficient member of the band. While Massive Noise Injection showcased a strong performance from Blaze, there were still inconsistencies in his live shows even back then. Instead of spending two years recording The X Factor, they should have put Blaze through a year of intensive vocal training, focusing on perfecting the songs he performed well on good days, such as Fear of the Dark, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and Hallowed Be Thy Name. They could have dropped The Trooper and The Clairvoyant from the setlist entirely. There were several other songs Blaze could have delivered more effectively, like Infinite Dreams, Wasted Years, Phantom of the Opera, and Where Eagles Dare. I understand what Steve heard in Blaze's voice in the early '90s—it's an amazing voice. However, I don't understand why Rod and Steve didn't reflect on what made Bruce great, namely his technical approach to singing, and either choose a more technically proficient singer or help Blaze develop those technical skills.
I can't disagree with any of that. I've mentioned this before, but another thing that hurt Blaze is that he seemed to have lost his identity between Wolfsbane and Maiden. He was the wildman in Wolfsbane, and with Maiden, they didn't seem to want that. So, personality-wise, he was just kind of there. It became Steve's band again, with Steve doing all the interviews and Blaze chiming in, whereas with Bruce, he was the go-to guy for interviews.

One of the most impressive things about Bruce onstage was his command of the audience. Lots of audience participation, and lots of personality in his between-song banter. Blaze never had that with Maiden, especially with getting off on the wrong foot on the X Factour by being locked in middle-rear of the stage due to his backstage battle with the monitor tech. Why nobody had his back in that situation boggles my mind. Between songs, again, I think it was Blaze not knowing what his place was. He couldn't be the crazy guy swearing all the time, saying how sexy he is anymore, so...his banter between songs was utterly forgettable.

Totally agree about the diction, and going further, emoting. Blaze sang everything straight, with very little emotion put in compared to where Bruce, with his more theatrical approach, tended to look for opportunities to put the emotion of the song's story in there. I tend to think especially on the older material, Blaze was struggling enough just to hit the notes and get through the song that that was all he focused on.

Again, HUGE fan of the Blaze era here, and agree he grew as a singer and songwriter tremendously after leaving Maiden. As much as I love those albums and the shows I went to, Blaze was a poor fit for Maiden. Steve should have recognized his shortcomings and helped in that regard (Blaze was ultimately his choice, after all), and since Steve either didn't realize or was too stubborn about it, Steve and Maiden were a poor fit for Blaze as well.

Last edited:
Spot on, especially about Blaze's voice, but Hallowed and Eagles?

I can't disagree with any of that. I've mentioned this before, but another thing that hurt Blaze is that he seemed to have lost his identity between Wolfsbane and Maiden. He was the wildman in Wolfsbane, and with Maiden, they didn't seem to want that. So, personality-wise, he was just kind of there. It became Steve's band again, with Steve doing all the interviews and Blaze chiming in, whereas with Bruce, he was the go-to guy for interviews.

Although it was clearly Steve's band again (I bet he was glad he did not have to battle with Bruce anymore), Blaze did a lot of promotion for The X Factor (mostly with Dave Murray, if I remember correctly).

I remember hearing that Blaze got the gig in Maiden on Noisy Mothers, Krusher had jokingly accused Blaze of being "a little liar" as in a previous episode he'd denied having got the job.

Spot on, especially about Blaze's voice, but Hallowed and Eagles?
With the right vocal approach, this is how it could have sounded in the '90s:
I remember hearing that Blaze got the gig in Maiden on Noisy Mothers, Krusher had jokingly accused Blaze of being "a little liar" as in a previous episode he'd denied having got the job.
The industry's secret was that the company where Blaze reported costs for Iron Maiden was incorporated on November 16th, 1993, so most of us fact checked this back then.

With the right vocal approach, this is how it could have sounded in the '90s:

The industry's secret was that the company where Blaze reported costs for Iron Maiden was incorporated on November 16th, 1993, so most of us fact checked this back then.
Important to note, this is in C# minor, so instead of having to deal with B4s it's "only" much more manageable G#4s. In other words, it's three semitones lower.

This one?

Although it was clearly Steve's band again (I bet he was glad he did not have to battle with Bruce anymore), Blaze did a lot of promotion for The X Factor (mostly with Dave Murray, if I remember correctly).
I must've been mainly thinking of the VXI promotional cycle when I typed that. I used to scrapbook all the Maiden stuff I found, and I remember Steve seemed to be taking the lead on damn near every interview in the US and UK mags, but maybe that's just my recollection of it.

One other thing. Stage presence.

Blaze is brilliant and commanding on stage now.

He was a wild animal in Wolfsbane.

In Maiden he was sometimes intense sure, but mostly on the X tour he air drummed and on the VXI tour he walked back and forth looking like he lacked confidence.

I must've been mainly thinking of the VXI promotional cycle when I typed that. I used to scrapbook all the Maiden stuff I found, and I remember Steve seemed to be taking the lead on damn near every interview in the US and UK mags, but maybe that's just my recollection of it.

The promotion for Virtual XI was done mostly by Steve. At the end of the day it was his solo album, wasn’t it? :D

Back