Blaze Bayley, good or bad?

Which was the better album; The X-Factor or Virtual XI

• Total voters
I'll even go further: X-Factor is the best album that Maiden recorded in the 90's.
Well, I don't share your point of view here although I grant you that there are very good things on the 2 Maiden albums with Blaze.

I think being either more of a hard rock fan or a metal fan has something to do with liking TXF more than NPFTD and FOTD. It does not have to do with "heaviness" as much as with the overall mood (remember they took Helloween as an opening act in 1988 and My Dying Bride in 1995, that says a lot). Once again, I like 95% of what Maiden has ever released, but I would take "Hooks in You" and "From Here to Eternity" over "Blood on the World's Hand" and "The Aftermath" any day. ;)

Curiously enough, Blaze was particularly good at singing in a band (Wolfsbane) that was more "hard rock" than "metal" oriented. Which doesn't change anything to the fact that his voice was not suited for the classic Maiden repertoire - a matter of song keys probably: Blaze has shown with his solo career that he COULD sing metal.

Anyway, I really don't understand why he was chosen over Doogie White in 1994 (possibly Maiden had a "no Welsh" policy or something :D).

Anyway, I really don't understand why he was chosen over Doogie White in 1994 (possibly Maiden had a "no Welsh" policy or something :D).

This is what Harris is quoted in "At The End Of The Day - The Story of the Blaze Bayley Band" (http://metalboxrecordings.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=53) by Lawrence Paterson as saying about the decision:
After Bruce left, we didn't want someone that sounded like either Bruce or Paul; we wanted someone that had his own voice. There were other people that came along who were technically great singers, but they sounded like other people and you need someone that has their own sound. So I think he really suited most of the stuff, maybe there's a couple of songs he didn't suit but that would have been the same case with anybody.

A part of Gers take on it:
Part of the reason he was asked to join was his honest enthusiasm. He had so much enthusiasm for the music we were doing. I think Blaze actually likes harder stuff than i generally do, but he was so genuine in his love for what Maiden was about. When he was offered the job it was not just about his voice. There were others who could propably have hit Bruce's parts more accurately , but they didn't necessarily have the belief that Blaze showed. He was good on stage; I always found him an engaging frontman. His approach to things wasn't the same as Bruce's but why should it be?

I think anyone interested in the subject should read this book, because it gives a better insight into the whole situation than for example "Run to the Hills " biography did.

And btw, I voted for The X Factor. I think it is a great album. Not a perfect production and I think some of the songs are played to high for Blaze's vocal range (like some parts of Sign of the Cross) but I still like it very much.

Last edited:
Well, I don't share your point of view here although I grant you that there are very good things on the 2 Maiden albums with Blaze.

I think being either more of a hard rock fan or a metal fan has something to do with liking TXF more than NPFTD and FOTD. It does not have to do with "heaviness" as much as with the overall mood (remember they took Helloween as an opening act in 1988 and My Dying Bride in 1995, that says a lot). Once again, I like 95% of what Maiden has ever released, but I would take "Hooks in You" and "From Here to Eternity" over "Blood on the World's Hand" and "The Aftermath" any day. ;)

Curiously enough, Blaze was particularly good at singing in a band (Wolfsbane) that was more "hard rock" than "metal" oriented. Which doesn't change anything to the fact that his voice was not suited for the classic Maiden repertoire - a matter of song keys probably: Blaze has shown with his solo career that he COULD sing metal.

Yes, the mood from NPFTD is completely different from TXF, i'll not disagree. I don't know, i just have a better feeling with the TXF compositions, both on lyrics and instumental. BTW, i just love The Aftermath. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i also love NPFTD (specially Holy Smoke, Public Enema Number One and the title song). I think the only album that i don't like in Maiden is FOTD.

Back