"Black sheep" albums you like

If we're using the definition that NP gave in the original post, then yea. I agree. Deliverance is as far from "black sheep" as Opeth gets.

Riot, Privilege of Power

If you don't listen to Riot, that is too bad :) This one was kinda different, from memory. The previous album was kinda 'power metal-ish' and the ones before that were pretty solid 'hard rock'. Privilege of Power had a lot of horns in it, from what I recall. I liked it, but it was funky.

By "black sheep" albums I mean albums that are wastly different in style or quality from other albums of a band.
:
my least favorite Opeth album.
I get the feeling they just did Deliverance to please the Metal fans so they'd get away with an almost acoustic record. The concept is interesting, but poorly executed.
Is Deliverance their weakest album? I'm not sure, but I think it's definitely near the bottom
It doesn't take any chances and it feels forced, whereas Damnation feels incredibly heartfelt and emotional. It is clear where the band's mind was during these recordings, and which album they produced on auto-pilot.

LOL. Fact-checked!

I will agree about Deliverance. And for Opeth, I'd throw Heritage into that last as well. I like them both about equally, for different reasons. And I dislike them both about equally, for different reasons.

From another recent discussion on the forum, I think Maiden's Fear of the Dark is a "black sheep" album for sure. I like it a lot. There are flaws, but I think it has some great songs.

@Night Prowler

I didn't think by "quality" you meant level of success. I thought you meant the style, the sound, the quality of the album. Being "different" in terms of quality as in level of success doesn't make much of a sense, you know.

You gave Load, ReLoad, St. Anger as examples of a black sheep album, which fits the mold of stylish difference, but when you're listing three albums in the mold of success, I doubt they're "different" anymore.

Also, Deliverance being my least favorite Opeth album wouldn't make it "different" in terms of quality. It gets about the same points from me as Morningrise does.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, I didn't write anything different. Read again. A less good album which is still good isn't "different" than a good album.

Might as well call Blackwater Park a black sheep album if you're gonna list Deliverance, but whatever.

Train of Thought is probably my favorite Dream Theater album. Far from the most diverse, but it had an energy to it that most of their other releases lacked. LaBrie actually sounded decent -- even on the parts where he rapped or did his best Dave Mustaine impression -- as opposed to his typical annoying wailing. This is surprising, considering he normally sounds like a dying bird on metal-ish songs. The band has never really reached the height of Train of Thought since then, and let's face it -- Octavarium was less exciting than watching paint dry.

As for Deliverance, I think it's a solid album. Not great, not weak; just average. It was practically the same style that we heard on Blackwater Park, but with less quality and songs that could have been trimmed a bit (you'll rarely hear me say that, but in this case it's true). I'm one of the few who thinks that the title track is a tad overrated; it really just drags on until the last five minutes or so for me. Master's Apprentices and BTPISIO are solid songs, but could have used some fat trimming. A Fair Judgement felt necessary for such a brutal album, and overall is probably the best-written song on there. Wreath is mostly weak, and the instrumental interlude was kind of pointless if you ask me.

Train of Thought is probably my favorite Dream Theater album. Far from the most diverse, but it had an energy to it that most of their other releases lacked. LaBrie actually sounded decent -- even on the parts where he rapped or did his best Dave Mustaine impression -- as opposed to his typical annoying wailing. This is surprising, considering he normally sounds like a dying bird on metal-ish songs. The band has never really reached the height of Train of Thought since then, and let's face it -- Octavarium was less exciting than watching paint dry.

As an incredibly casual Dream Theater listener, I am not sure what most fans think about Train of Thought. To me, it is the gold standard to which I compare all other Dream Theater albums. Awake is good, so is Images & Words, but ToT is just great. I think Falling Into Infinity would better fit the definition of the term "black sheep" (which we are clearly all in agreement on :rolleyes:) when it comes to DT's catalog. Though, I like that album, too.

To me, Dream Theater themselves are black sheep, and Train of Thought was the one time they fit in with the herd.

Here's the deal with Dream Theater: Every album they make has a different sound, but usually spans several styles, dynamics, and moods. Train of Thought, for the most part, is a very one dimensional album. It's more or less them saying, "Hey, we can do this too!". The songs are long, but not really proggy. Where previous albums had long drawn out instrumental sections, dramatic time changes and atmospheric middles, the songs on Train Of Thought are long because they're standard structured songs that turn into shred fests. That's what makes it black sheep. Falling Into Infinity counts too, but for almost the opposite reason. It's them moving into a more commercial direction.

I like both albums though, Falling Into Infinity is cool because it's the only Dream Theater album where every song stands by itself and can be easily taken out of context but still work. The only album that could be put on shuffle and without being ruined, is the best way I can describe it. It's also their best sonically, because each song was approached differently. The problem is that the weaker material includes some of Dream Theater's worst songs. You Not Me is the go to one, but I think Burning My Soul could easily be my least favorite DT track. Other songs like Lines In The Sand, Hell's Kitchen and Hollow Years are awesome though.

Train Of Thought is an album I disregarded for a long time, too much wanking. I've come to appreciate it more for what it is this year. It's a good album to throw on if I'm in a DT mood but I want something really heavy. The shreddy Petrucci solos are also fun, the riffs are good and I enjoy every song. This Dying Soul is the only one that goes on too long for me.

Edit: I'd argue that the other "black sheep" is WDADU, but I usually forget that it exists.

Last edited:
Iron Maiden - The X Factor - Perhaps their best album and definitely a heavy metal classic. Bayley's vocals and the dark songwriting by Harris and Gers perfectly set the mood that permeates this album. Highlights: "Blood On the World's Hands", "Sign of the Cross", "The Unbeliever"
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI - TXF's even more maligned little brother album. While not being as good as its predecessor, VXI gets more listens from me because of its more accessible mood. Though it is not a flawless album, it is a very strong, fun and consistent album with no weak tracks (yes, I did say that). Highlights: "Futureal", "The Clansman", "When Two Worlds Collide"

I've seen this sentiment expressed a bit on this forum, and I'm a bit puzzled by it.
X Factor is pretty much crap, and not just because of Blaze.
But yeah, he's a huge part of why.
He sounds like he's got no business being on a Maiden record and he knows it. I can empathize with the guy, but still, come on. The vocals totally lack confidence, the production is as bad if not worse than No Prayer and Fear of the Dark. The song writing is mostly phoned in.

On the other hand, Virtual XI is a much better album. Blaze sings much more confidently on it, and even does alright from time to time. It's still the bottom of the barrel for Maiden, but, you can hear the roots of their evolution in this album. The production, the tones, the song writing, all begin to take the shape of things to come. Unlike The X Factor, I can hear Brave New World in Virtual XI in a few shining moments. I just hear Fear of the Dark minus good vocals in X Factor.

Last edited:
I really, really can't disagree more with the idea that the X-Factor is crap. It's dark and brooding, and yeah, maybe it's different, but it's different in all the good ways.

Back