Black Sabbath

27/365
SabbathMob.jpg

The Mob Rules – Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell

Turn Up The Night – A heavy riff opens up the second album of the Dio Era of a band that should have been known as Heaven and Hell. The opening riff alone is amazing and could have gone on for much longer; Dio’s vocals are higher than usual on this track. A nice and short rocker and a solid opener. – 9/10

Voodoo – Transitioning from the first track into a slower track Voodoo has some of Dio’s trademark fantasy lyrics and they are solid overall. Not an amazing track but a solid one. 7.5/10

Sign of The Southern Cross – One of the best Sabbath songs period. Majestic and atmospheric this track is a masterpiece by all 4 members of Heaven and Hell – 10/10

E5150 – An eerie instrumental track segues between the previous track and the title track of the album. It is a nice addition to the album but ultimately isn’t really required. It could have been shortened a fair bit and added onto the actual song instead. – 6/10

The Mob Rules – The roaring title track segues from the instrumental and kicks the album back into high gear. Amazing guitar from Tony, Vinny rocks the drums, Geezer puts in his work and Ronnie warns us about the Mob. An amazing track start to finish. – 9.5/10

Country Girl – A midpaced track kicks off side 2, fun lyrics about the difference between people. Not a super serious song, but one that really works overall – 8.5/10

Slipping Away – A nice guitar riff accompanied by Ronnie’s high vocals kicks off this track. A strong track overall but nothing amazing. The band is solid as with every other track just overshadowed by some of the other amazing tracks that preceded it. – 8/10

Falling off The Edge of The World – A weeping guitar opens up with Dio singing softly about ending it all, however the track quickly shifts into a heavy rocker which doesn’t hold back. The opening portion in conjunction with the second half makes this song yet another great composition for the album – 10/10

Over and Over – Slower and Moody instruments segue into Dio’s soaring voice. Overall this song is a solid one with a nice ending solo but I feel like the album would have ended perfectly fine without it – 7.5/10

Overall 84%

http://rockandrollgarage.com/tony-i...xa3AeX9u8V49LpnWuYwr8bVutw7Z-pwxa8bdgVD2eqopE

In an interview with Classic Rock Magazine, Tony Iommi said that Black Sabbath recorded an unexpected jam session with Led Zeppelin members in the time they were recording their classic studio album “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath”.

Iommi said:
“We were really good mates with Led Zeppelin, especially Robert Plant and John Bonham who came from the Midlands. Zeppelin had wanted us to be on their label, Swan Song, but we couldn’t make it work out.

“During the recording of the ‘Sabbath Bloody Sabbath’ album, Zeppelin came into the studio for a jam. John wanted to play ‘Supernaut’ [from 1972’s ‘Vol 4’] but we jammed instead.

“We were in the middle of recording so it fucked up the session. I know that it was recorded, and I’d love to hear it. The tape must be around somewhere.”

A few years back, Iommi talked more about the jam:
“We knew Robert Plant and John Bonham from back in Birmingham. We had checked Robert out with his early bands, and he’d told us he was joining The Yardbirds. Then one day we were in this club in London called Blazes, and the DJ started playing this song.

“So I go up and said, ‘What’s the name of the band that’s playing? That’s fucking Robert Plant singing, he’s a big shot in Birmingham.’ And she goes, ‘It’s The Yardbirds, but they’ve just changed their name to Led Zeppelin.’ I was, like, ‘Fuck me!’

“When we were playing clubs, John would sometimes come along and he’d want to get up and jam. The first time we said, ‘OK then.’ So he got up and played Bill [Ward]’s drums and just wrecked them.

“Bill was really pissed off, so after that anytime John came along and said, ‘Can I have a go?’, Bill would go, ‘No’ and not let him play.”

I’ve been hearing that the band is literally writing Ward out of their history on their website, including removing him completely from old photos. Did anyone else know of this?

I’ve been hearing that the band is literally writing Ward out of their history on their website, including removing him completely from old photos. Did anyone else know of this?

Yes, I seem to remember reading about that around the time Bill left.

When the final tour was taking place they removed Ward from pics on the website but now that is over if you follow the band on Facebook or Twitter they post pictures from the past with all four of them. They also post live clips quite a bit. I smell Sharon all over Ward's disappearance when they were doing The End tour.

Here is an interview with Vinnie Appice from January 2019. Very entertaining listen ... I laughed out loud a couple of times. I am going to have to search for the rest of this interview ;)

Back