Black Sabbath

I’m not really a Sabbath guy in general, but I’ve always liked Headless Cross a lot, and I sampled a few songs from the other albums in the set and they weren’t bad, so today I decided to take the plunge and order the CD set. Who knows, maybe I’ll get into the other three with repeated listens…

Hot takes after listening to the Anno Domini remasters:
  • Headless Cross: Great, as expected.
  • Tyr: Quite good.
  • Cross Purposes: Uneven, but has its high points.
  • Forbidden: Very uneven, but has a few solid tracks.
I’ll probably mostly listen to Headless Cross and Tyr long term, but I’m glad I picked up the set.

Headless Cross is definitely the best of those four with Tyr as a somewhat distant second. Forbidden is easily the weakest, although I can’t remember anything about Cross Purposes. I’ll have to go back to these albums, glad to see them getting recognition in this collection.

The best Martin album sadly is the one not in the collection, The Eternal Idol.

Got the vinyl box set, I had copies of them all in advance and didn't really want more CDs. Listened to them all today. Headless Cross and Tyr remain great albums. Cross Purposes was better than I remembered but still not top tier. And Forbidden wasn't as bad as I remembered but I actually prefer the original mix for the title track, but the remix did make it sound better overall.

I know little of the Tony Martin era but Headless Cross and TYR are really good (based on my first listen to these remasters). Tried Forbidden and... it's not good. Quite shite actually.

I actually saw Tony Martin live about 12 years ago in a tiny club with about 20 people in attendance. He still put on a good show and performed Stargazer as it was a few days after Dio passed. Still, I got second hand embarrassment from the shitty turnout.

Back