Black Sabbath Survivor complete: War Pigs kick ass, film at 11

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• War Pigs

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Iron Man

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
Re: Black Sabbath Survivor: The Devil You Know round 5 (Feb 23-25)

I love all Martin era albums, of course some more than others. The Eternal Idol is my fave and I can't believe The Shining, Hard Life To Love and the title track are out already. When Death Calls is the best of the 2 Martin era survivors. It would be perfect with Dio singing it on Dehumanizer tour.

Do you have the live in Moscow DVD from the Headless Cross tour? Great verson of When Death Calls!

No, dude. I was about to get it sometime ago, but something else must have appeared and made me forget about it. But I got a good link to get this, anyway. Thanx for reminding me. I got a DVD from Upper Darby, Pennsylvania (June 9th 1989). It's worth for the hystorical value 'cos the sound and image aren't that great, but it's audible and very watchable, and Martin's voice is in top form. I got a boot from Montreal, may the first or second gig of the Cross Purposes tour and this very nice. There's Immaculate Deception live and When Death Calls, I think. Then I got the Malta 95 DVD, which contains WDC, but on this and Canada 94, Martin's voice is so opaque.

Forostar said:
Inspired by someone in the Deep Purple Survival. Get rid of the crack. Now! ;)

I believe that was my comment.  A confession: I wasn't familiar with either Anno Mundi or When Death Calls.  But I listened to them on YouTube.  A couple of times.  I stand by my vote.  But I freely admit I'm among the overlookers (as opposed to overseers) of the Tony Martin era.  So sue me.   

*sues cornfed*

Alright. Here is When Death Calls, live in Moscow. Enjoy! I thought it was pretty cool to see Cozy Powell (R.I.P.) in action, on this DVD.

Forostar said:
Alright. Here is When Death Calls, live in Moscow. Enjoy! I thought it was pretty cool to see Cozy Powell (R.I.P.) in action, on this DVD.

That's actually the YouTube clip I watched, plus the studio version here.  It's a fine song.  Yet, the fact that either of these Tony Martin tracks have survived to this point, but N.I.B., Children of the Grave and Falling Off the Edge of the World are all gone, is inexplicable. 

Dunno, there are more Ozzy and Dio tracks left, so I can't see why you have reason to complain. As someone who highly appreciates the Martin period, I naturally see things differently.  :D

I miss many tracks from the Tony Martin period, e.g. Glory Ride, Nightwing, The Headless Cross, and quite some more.

You just mentioned some Ozzy tracks which I like better than most other Ozzy tracks, left in this poll. Alas, I was not alone, and you weren't there. FOTEOTW is a great track, but I prefer the title track of Mob Rules.
From the Ozzy period some personal favs of mine are Under The Sun, Dirty Women and Megalomania.

Re: Black Sabbath Survivor: The Devil You Know round 6 (Feb 25-27)

Go to the top of the page and vote for your LEAST favorite songs!
Rules are in this post. Please read them if you don't know what's going on here.

"Winners" of round 18.5: Rock And Roll Angel, Anno Mundi :(
Round 18.6 has now begun.

Eliminated:
11. ?
12. ?
13. ?
14. Anno Mundi
15. Rock And Roll Angel
16. Shaking Off The Chains
17 (tie). The Turn Of The Screw
17 (tie). Follow The Tears
19. Eating The Cannibals
20. Breaking Into Heaven

A pox upon all who voted out Anno Mundi! :P

Interesting discussion here. I think no band has changed their style as much from singer to singer as Sabbath. It's all Black Sabbath because it's all Iommi, and Tony Iommi is Sabbath, end of discussion. But it still sounds like different bands.

As I've re-listened to it all during this game, I've gained much respect for the Martin era, which I hadn't remembered as being very good. I still think the Ozzy era and the first Dio era are the best. I think their peak is Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules. No Ozzy era album was as good as those, though SBS comes very very close. But since there were more Ozzy-era albums, they accumulated a larger total of great songs over that period, and so Ozzy-era wins for me.

Of the Martin stuff, I thought TYR was fantastic. Headless Cross and Eternal Idol were both solidly above average. The rest contained a few good songs each, but were only average (or worse) as albums. Perhaps the stuff will grow on me, but that's what I get after 3 or 4 listens each.

Re: Black Sabbath Survivor: The Devil You Know round 7 (Feb 27-29)

Rules are in this post. Please read them if you don't know what's going on here.

"Winners" of round 18.6: Double The Pain, Neverwhere
Round 18.7 has now begun. One more, then the Finals!

Eliminated:
11. ?
12 (tie). Double The Pain
12 (tie). Neverwhere
14. Anno Mundi
15. Rock And Roll Angel
19. Eating The Cannibals
20. Breaking Into Heaven

Re: Black Sabbath Survivor: The Devil You Know round 8 (Mar 1-3)

Tiebreaker! Three were chosen, but only one may die (for now).
Still alive: War Pigs, Iron Man, Wheels Of Confusion, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Killing Yourself To Live, Neon Knights, Heaven And Hell, When Death Calls

Eliminated:
11. ?
12 (tie). Neverwhere
14. Anno Mundi
15. Rock And Roll Angel
19. Eating The Cannibals
20. Breaking Into Heaven

Re: Black Sabbath Survivor FINALS: 10 songs left (Mar 3-5)

"Winner" of round 18.8: Fear
The Finals have begun! 10 songs left...

Eliminated:
11. Fear
12 (tie). Neverwhere
14. Anno Mundi
15. Rock And Roll Angel
19. Eating The Cannibals
20. Breaking Into Heaven

Last 3

Re: Black Sabbath Survivor FINALS: 10 songs left (Mar 3-5)

Gonna listen these songs again...
Bible Black, Killing Yourself To Live, Wheels Of Confusion

Back