Best version of each Maiden album?

Unfortunately, we can't ask the buyer.
Unfortunately, no, it must be something rare on the cover. I can quote what the buyer (from Germany) sent me:

But you have the special edition that is worth 10,000 times more! And for that, I would gladly drive ... However, it is only worth that much because it is still in its original packaging, as you mentioned.

But you won't find what's special about it on your own. There is a unique feature on the cover, which is only present in an edition of 100 copies worldwide.

I can also post pictures of the covers. There is supposed to be something different compared to the regular cover.

Sounds like a scam to me honestly but yea post pictures and I'm sure someone on here could identify something "special" about it.

Honestly just looks like a standard copy to me. And this was an album that was heavily distributed in retail stores during one of Maiden's biggest tours and when people still bought CDs, so I kinda doubt there's anything rare about it.

From personal experience, selling CDs is tough. It's not like vinyl where there's a high demand for a low supply of albums in good condition. CDs are easier to take care of and generally stay in print longer.

You can also check Discogs to see what other CD copies are selling for: https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=21508&ev=mb&format=CD

Unfortunately, no, it must be something rare on the cover. I can quote what the buyer (from Germany) sent me:
Well, I'm not an expert but this looks like the regular CD to me. I don't remember there being some special or rare version that would be particularly valuable.

Makes me wonder what that potential buyer sees in it and why he'd be this enthusiastic to buy it.

Maybe I'm missing something though and someone else can explain.

Hello, I am new to the forum. My husband is a big Iron Maiden fan and bought the CD "Somewhere Back in Time" last year. For some reason, he bought it again. Now, we wanted to sell the extra copy, and an Iron Maiden fan mentioned that it might be a special edition CD with a unique cover and could be worth a lot of money. Question for Iron Maiden fans: Does this special CD exist, and what makes it special? How much is it actually worth?
I assume we're talking the Somewhere Back in Time greatest hits collection, not the studio album Somewhere in Time, to be clear? I have the CD version and vinyl version of this and the covers are the same. I'll sniff around on Discogs and the Encyclopedia Metallum to see if there's a unique version.

Edit: I wrote this while apparently 5 other posts were pending. So I got the info I need. I'll still check out Discogs, but this never struck me as a collector's item. This was just a "greatest hits" package designed to coincide with their 2008 tour.

C-c-c-c-combo Edit: I'm not seeing any version of this with a different cover. Metallum shows a "limited" version of this CD that has an ipod skin and a tour poster, but the actual cover is the same. Are we sure this is the one that has different cover somewhere?

My only guess was that there could have been some sort of lenticular version of the cover or maybe even a different hype sticker (I think the CDs were repressed at some point with LOTB hype stickers instead of the original promoting the 2008 tour). Even if the hype sticker is of value to people, I doubt it's that hard to find more sealed copies. But yea, Discogs doesn't show any variants, even non official ones.

I'm guessing whoever sent that message to @Indieee is some sort of bot or a scammer.

I have all the studio albums across various formats. Mostly the 2015 vinyls, and the one's I care less for on CD plus duplicate versions on both.

However, I would like to collect the first 7 albums on their original CD pressings since I'm told here of their superior mastering.

I'm going to start off with SSOASS as an '88 copy isn't that expensive.

I have all the studio albums across various formats. Mostly the 2015 vinyls, and the one's I care less for on CD plus duplicate versions on both.

However, I would like to collect the first 7 albums on their original CD pressings since I'm told here of their superior mastering.

I'm going to start off with SSOASS as an '88 copy isn't that expensive.
Keep in mind that every CD pressing up to and including the '95 2CD Castle Remasters contain the original album mastering. Those are the version I went for and I don't regret it one bit. They sound fantabulous and the bonus CDs include the bsides/single material as well, also.

Keep in mind that every CD pressing up to and including the '95 2CD Castle Remasters contain the original album mastering. Those are the version I went for and I don't regret it one bit. They sound fantabulous and the bonus CDs include the bsides/single material as well, also.
I'd go for the 2CD Castle editions if they weren't so expensive. The average Discogs price is around £25-30 per album. The original releases on the other hand are a little more reasonable for someone looking to collect all of them.

I never heard of albums being worth 10,000 times more if still in their original packaging. You'll get more money alright but it's not like toys being collected.

Yeah that guy is totes a scammer/cannibal.

Anyway, this thread saddens me. All this chat about best versions reminds me that I no longer have my 95 versions.

I got The Story So Far... Parts 1 & 2 box sets when they came out in 95 or 96. It contained the first 10 albums, all double disc with b sides, only 1000 copies of each box.

I've recently realised that I most likely lost most of the discs in a car theft 4 or 5 yrs ago. I've searched every nook and cranny and dusty cd pile in the house and there is little or no Maiden. There are cases everywhere but most are empty. I recall a rather large cd wallet/book that I used to keep in the car, full of Maiden. Nearly all my Maiden cds, in fact, the box sets, all albums live and studio from FOTD to TFF.

I'm glad that I'm not the sort to feel compelled to try and buy them all back. Those box sets are rare and valuable, I believe. I'm also a little livid that I've been denuded of such musical heritage and the cretin responsible possibly still lives and breathes.

I've bought Somewhere in Time, 1986 EMI release on CD from Discogs. Looking forward to how it sounds when it arrives.

I plan to buy the full set of 80s albums over the year.

Thanks to this thread, I ended up ordering all the 2015 remasters on CD, plus Live after death and Rock in Rio! I know I can listen to them on Spotify, but there's something special about physical copies. Looking forward to just enjoy them one by one during the summer:edmetal:

I've bought Somewhere in Time, 1986 EMI release on CD from Discogs. Looking forward to how it sounds when it arrives.

I plan to buy the full set of 80s albums over the year.
Let me know what you think of SIT! The '95 Castle version I have sounds phenomenal and that's the same mastering you ordered.

Finally, I received my 1986 original CD copy of Somewhere in Time. I'm just spinning it now, and it's definitely the best version of the album I've heard. The audio is ultra clear with none of the brickwalled compression of later editions. Looks like I'll have to purchase all the other original 80's releases to complete an audiophile set.1000012065.jpg

If there’s any Maiden album to own on original CD, Somewhere in Time is it (closely followed by Seventh Son). I can live with the new CD masters for the other 80s albums.

Back