Best songs out of each album that were never played live and deserve their live debut:

I'm not really getting the "acoustic guitars makes Prodigal Son less playable" argument. Off the top of my head, Children of the Damned, Out of the Shadows and Dream of Mirrors all feature some acoustic/electric interplay and all were played live.

To make this post slightly more relevant, I would also like to hear it live. :p

The 80's albums, they've played most of the good stuff. Only the Good Die Young, Alexander and Back in the Village (though they may have played that) are the obvious omissions.

Run Silent Run Deep, Judas Be My Guide, Starblind, Isle of Avalon, Shadows of the Valley and Empire of the Clouds are the only ones I'd be pining for from the other albums.

The rest of the non-played tracks might be a nice curiosity but lets be honest they aren't better than what was played.

EDIT: The Thin Line is a great track, and I'd definitely have preferred it to Dream of Mirrors, I'm just not certain how it would work in a set list. I'd definitely love to see it in a Live at Abbey Road style thing.

I'm not really getting the "acoustic guitars makes Prodigal Son less playable" argument. Off the top of my head, Children of the Damned, Out of the Shadows and Dream of Mirrors all feature some acoustic/electric interplay and all were played live.

there's loads more too, Wasting Love, Fortunes of War, Blood on the Worlds Hands, Dance of Death, Journeyman, Talisman and Book of Souls, probably a few more that have slipped my mind.

Last edited:
The 80's albums, they've played most of the good stuff.

there's loads more too, Wasting Love, Fortunes of War, Blood on the Worlds Hands, Dance of Death, Journeyman, Talisman and Book of Souls, probably a few more that have slipped my mind.

I didn't count stuff like Talisman, TBOS, DOD - all Jan's epics, basically - because they have the acoustic in the intro so it's easy to switch from the acoustic guitar to electric. Prodigal Son features acoustic throughout most of the song with the electric parts, which I gathered was what apparently makes it less easy to play.

I didn't count stuff like Talisman, TBOS, DOD - all Jan's epics, basically - because they have the acoustic in the intro so it's easy to switch from the acoustic guitar to electric. Prodigal Son features acoustic throughout most of the song with the electric parts, which I gathered was what apparently makes it less easy to play.

Point taken.

Prodigal Son was apparently played live in the early days so it doesn't qualify anyway :smartarse:
(And, on one hand, I'd like to hear it live too; on the other, this line-up would butcher it).

Oh Magnus ya oracle o’ faden Maiden - when was it performed?

And yes a live performance nowadays would be a monstrosity of an atrocity .
Gers and McBrain ain’t got the chops, buddy.

Oh Magnus ya oracle o’ faden Maiden - when was it performed?

And yes a live performance nowadays would be a monstrosity of an atrocity .
Gers and McBrain ain’t got the chops, buddy.

1978 as far as I know. Can't find my own post on the subject (linking, as far as I remember, to the Maiden77 FB page - the latter gone now anyway, so see this post by Foro):

Pre-Di'Anno live material would also be welcome. According to Maiden77, a FB-page run by someone who claims to be in contact with Dennis Wilcock, and other old members:

- - - - - - posted on 2 January 2015 ----
People often ridicule the original members saying they contributed nothing to Iron Maiden success but the list below shows that by the time Dennis and Terry left in 1978 most of the first two albums had been written. The Music and lyrics had been written and contributed to by Paul Day, Dennis Willcock, Dave Sullivan, Terry Rance, Bob Sawyer, Terry Wapram, Ron Mathews, Barry Purkis and Tony Moore.. Did Steve and Dave Murray write the songs alone the answers is no.. as confirmed by several ex members that we have talked to so far hopefully full details of who wrote what will become clear in 2015
The Ides of March (Killers)
Drifter (Killers)
Sanctuary (Metal for Muthas) (US Iron Maiden)
Prowler (Iron Maiden)
Another life (Killers)
Prodigal Son (Killers)
Transylvania (Iron Maiden)
Strange World (Iron Maiden)
Floating (Purgatory)
Wrathchild (Killers)
Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden)
Charlotte (Iron Maiden)
The Pit (Became Innocent Exile) (Killers)
Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden)
all played in 1978.......

- - - - - -

Most remarkable is the inclusion of Prodigal Son! This was the only one from the Di'Anno-era albums that was seen as a never played song.
Here setlist information from 2 gigs (new info, to me at least, in red):

- - - - - -
Iron Maiden Set list 4/4/1978 (posted: 2 January 2015)
The Ides of March
Drifter
Sanctuary
Prowler
Another life
Prodigal Son
Transylvania
Strange World
Floating (Purgatory)
Wrathchild
Phantom of the Opera
Charlotte
The Pit (Became Innocent Exile)
Iron Maiden

Some comments underneath:
-Maiden77: Steve Harris owns this recording i'm afraid
-Maiden77: The Ides was from a Tony Moore keyboard part as Dennis remembers but the drums and bass were added by Barry and Steve Maiden just had lawyers and Barry didn't
-someone else called Bladimir Metalclep:
I think this show was on April 8th and not 4th, at The Bridge House in Canning Town. Line up for this show Dennis Willcock, Barry Purkis, Steve Harris & Dave Murray. Those April shows at The Bridge House were profesionally recorded and some tracks were edited on vinyl. I got a double LP with Filthy McNasty, Roll Ups and Remus Down Boulevard.
10428555_10205536312678135_3321940684120339523_n.jpg

- - - - - -

- - - - - -
Line up and set list Saturday 18th June 1977 (posted: 2 January 2015)
Line up Dave Murray, Dennis Willcock, Steve Harris, Bob Sawyer, Ron Mathews
Ive Got The Fire
Drifter
Sanctuary
Prowler
Burning Ambition
Another Life
Transylvania
Strange World
Floating
Charlotte
Wrathchild
Iron Maiden

At the Teviot Festival Highway Road in Time was also played as part of the set.

- - - - - -

Killers: Prodigal Son
The obvious choice since all other songs have been played live.

The Number Of The Beast: Invaders
It is better than Gangland IMO.

Piece Of Mind: Sun And Steel
It is actually a fun song to listen to, far better than Quest For Fire.

Powerslave: Flash Of The Blade
A tough choice here since The Duellists is also good but FOTB would work better live.

Somewhere In Time: Alexander The Great
I'm actually still hoping they will play it someday.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: Only The Good Die Young
It would work perfectly as an encore closer, it's a real shame they skipped this.

No Prayer For The Dying: Run Silent Run Deep
Although I like Mother Russia more than this one, it fits more for a live song.

Fear Of The Dark: The Fugitive
Out of all the songs not played live from this album, this is my favourite.

The X-Factor: Judgement Of Heaven
I really like this one.

Virtual XI: Como Estais Amigos
Self-explanatory.

Brave New World: The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
It would be a good choice as 2nd encore; never liked The Nomad anyway.

Dance Of Death: Montsegur
A really, really, really tough choice to make; I like this as much as I like Gates Of Tomorrow. Its heaviness is what makes it a tad bit more fitting for a live performance.

The Final Frontier: Isle Of Avalon
It's truly a "hidden gem" from this album, an absolute masterpiece. Starblind/The Alchemist could have been chosen too.

The Book Of Souls: When The River Runs Deep
When I first listened to the album, after listening this song I thought "man, they are so gonna play this live and it's gonna be amazing!". Can't believe they left it out of the TBOS Tour.

Now if I was to make a setlist with these songs, it would be something like that:

1. Alexander The Great
  2. Flash Of The Blade
  3. When The River Runs Deep
  4. Isle Of Avalon
  5. Montsegur
  6. The Fugitive
  7. Run Silent Run Deep
  8. Prodigal Son
  9. Judgement Of Heaven
  10. Como Estais Amigos
  11. Sun And Steel
    ---ENCORE---
  12. Invaders
  13. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
  14. Only The Good Die Young

Yeah, slightly off-topic it was, but anyway. :p I wasn't too clear there though.
my bad... I thought you said they didn't played. And yep... Silent planet is a pretty cool song. IMO way better than Brave New World, Dream Of Mirrors or The Mercenary.

I would also like to hear it live
If you can't catch where songs like Jouneyman and Prodigal Son differ from Children Of The Damned, Strange World and Out Of The Shadows then ok. There's no point in beating this dead horse.
But once again I must stress: I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO LISTEN TO PRODIGAL SON LIVE! Hell I even like it more than any of the songs you mentioned before... And if it was sang by Bruce on the next tour I'm sure it would also sound wonderful.

Prodigal Son was apparently played live in the early days so it doesn't qualify anyway :smartarse:
(And, on one hand, I'd like to hear it live too; on the other, this line-up would butcher it).
Wasn't aware of that. Great, since it's one hell of a song and it's really cool it wasn't left out even though they only played it during the late 70's.

Last edited:
My fav setlist with songs that they never playd live would be:
1. Sun and Steel
2.The Duellists
3. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
4.Only the Good Die Young
5.Holy Smoke
6.Childhood´s End
7.Judgement of Heaven
8.Face In The Sand
9.The Pilgrim
10.The Alchemist
11.The Man of Sorrows

My fav setlist with songs that they never playd live would be:
1. Sun and Steel
2.The Duellists
3. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
4.Only the Good Die Young
5.Holy Smoke
6.Childhood´s End
7.Judgement of Heaven
8.Face In The Sand
9.The Pilgrim
10.The Alchemist
11.The Man of Sorrows
They actually have played Holy Smoke, Pilgrim and Long Distance Runner.

Back