Best songs out of each album that were never played live and deserve their live debut:

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Well... the topic is self explanatory. Here are my picks:

Killers - Prodigal Son:
This is a fantastic song though I completely understand why they never played it live. Its semi-acoustic slow-down format would sound completely off among the remainder of the wild Maiden reportoire back then.

The Number Of The Beast - Invaders:
Perhaps the worst chorus ever penned by the band, but put that aside and the rest of this track is simply brutal. Plus it features one of Mr. Harris' best bass works ever (IMO the very best).

Piece Of Mind - Sun And Steel:
A cool rocker and that's it... and chosing between a cool song and Quest For Fire is a no brainer.

Powerslave - The Duelists:
Could be the other two (no weak songs here) but there's something that gives this fencing aria a quite dramatic ambiance.

Somewhere In Time - Alexander The Great:
First off I don't want to sound like one of those ATG's zealots but let's be honest: even I that prefer at least 5 songs to SIT's epic must concur that's about time this huge body of work gets its live debut. Deja Vu's also a excelent track (once again all songs here are great) but the choice here is obvious.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - The Prophecy:
Only The Good Die Young is (like all the other 7 songs out of this album) one hell of a song, but this track is simply one of my 20 all time Maiden favorites. Adrian would have to give Bruce a hand at the pre-chorus.

No Prayer For The Dying - Fates Warning:
Tough decision between this one, Mother Russia and Run Silent (I really love all these tracks) and It really stuns me how the band prefered to include in their 90's set list boring takes and trash like Hooks In You in place of any of these songs.

Fear Of The Dark - Childhood's End:
To be fair it's a tie between this one and Judas Be My Guide. And regarding two particular turds they picked from FOTD to their live set (From Here To Eternity and Wasting Love) it's a crime this garbage robbed us the chance of listening to this couple of great quality tunes

The X Factor - Look For The Truth:
Great song from a great album with huge sing along potential. Judgement Of Heaven is also a enormous composition. But if it was included in the album (as it should be!) Judgement Day would be my choice any day!

Virtual XI - Como Estais Amigos? :
Obvious choice since it's the only song out of Maiden's eleventh album never to be played live by the band. But it is a really cool tune (though I prefer Blaze's acoustic version) and I would much rather listen to it than to fillers like DLTTEOAS, WTWC and that 9 minute long atrocity.

Brave New World - The Thin Line Between Love And Hate:
The only understandable reason regarding this enormous song being left out in order of various boring, repetitive and uninspired BNW stuff to be played is its final stretch. That's the only reason I'm not even more furious about their 2000 setlist. They could edit a bit of the last part in order to play it live though...

Dance Of Death - Montsegur:
Both this track and Face In The Sand are among my top 20 all time Maiden songs andhappen to be my two favorite cuts out of DOD. And if FITS can bear some logistical issues (namely excess of keyboards and double bass) there's absolutely no excuse for ditching from DOD's live setlist the amazing stronghold of medieval heavyness that is Montsegur.

The Final Frontier - Isle Of Avalon:
It's understandable that some good songs out of this one would never be played live, since it's a really cool album without a single filler and a handful of really lengthy tracks. That being said I would love to listen to both Isle Of Avalon and The Alchemist on stage.

The Book Of Souls - Empire Of The Clouds:
As I said before this prog metal stravaganza is not my cup of tea but I must confess the damn thing is really well done and features some great passages. Plus being able to see Dickinson singing the intro while playing the piano would be a really cool extra. When The River Runs Deep would also be a cool choice.

Well these are my picks. What songs would you go with from each album?

Last edited:
Killers: Prodigal Son
NOTB: Invaders (please no)
POM: Sun and Steel (please no again)
Powerslave: Flash Of The Blade
SIT: Alexander the Great
SSOASS: Only the Good Die Young
NPFTD: Mother Russia
FOTD: The Fugitive
TXF: The Unbeliever
VXI: none
BNW: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
DOD: Face in the Sand
TFF: Isle Of Avalon
BOS: Shadows of the Valley

Empire would be cool but I can acknowledge it would be difficult to recreate live. Shadows would actually work well live.

Number of the Beast: Gangland
Piece of Mind: Sun and Steel
Powerslave: Back In The Village
Somewhere In Time: Alexander The Great
Seventh Son: Only The Good Die Young
No Prayer For The Dying: Run Silent Run Deep
Fear of the Dark: Chains of Misery
The X Factor: Look for the Truth
Virtual XI: Como Estais Amigos
Brave New World: The Nomad
Dance of Death: Montsegur
The Final Frontier: The Alchemist
The Book of Souls: Shadows of the Valley

Killers: Prodigal Son (please no)
TNOTB: Gangland (because of the screams)
POM: Quest For Fire
Powerslave: The Duellists
NPFTD: Mother Russia
FOTD: Judas Be My Guide
TXF: Judgement Of Heaven
VXI: Como Estais Amigos (by default obviously)
BNW: The Nomad
DOD: Face in the Sand
TFF: Starblind
TBOS: Shadows of the Valley

Killers: none lol
TNOTB: Invaders
POM: Quest for Fire
Powerslave: The Duelists
NPFTD: Fates Warning
FOTD: Judas Be My Guide
TXF: Judgement of Heaven
VXI: Como Estais Amigos
BNW: Thin Line
DOD: Montsegur
TFF: Starblind
TBOS: Empire of the Clouds

Brave New World - The Thin Line Between Love And Hate:
The only understandable reason regarding this enormous song being left out in order of various boring, repetitive and uninspired BNW stuff to be played is its final stretch. That's the only reason I'm not even more furious about their 2000 setlist. They could edit a bit of the last part in order to play it live though...
The final stretch is the best bit, IMO. Its stands apart in the catalogue in its atmosphere. Its far and away the unplayed Maiden song I would like to hear live but I have a sneakin suspicion that it would be in that small band of Maiden tunes that sounds better recorded than live.
Second, and probably more fitting, would be Judas Be My Guide, this song would be a riot live.

Well... the topic is self explanatory. Here are my picks:
Killers - Prodigal Son:
This is a fantastic song though I completely understand why they never played it live. Its semi-acoustic slow-down format would sound completely off among the remainder of the wild Maiden reportoire back then.

Well, buddy, they did do Strange World (which is as slow or slower, hanky blower in 1979-1980 and again in Japan in '81), so the slow-down format as you say wouldn't be that off-putting or out of character. You're basically clutching at straws to find a reason, where none is. Still a true fuckin shame it never was played, as its a brilliant song.

Well, buddy, they did do Strange World (which is as slow or slower, hanky blower in 1979-1980 and again in Japan in '81), so the slow-down format as you say wouldn't be that off-putting or out of character. You're basically clutching at straws to find a reason, where none is. Still a true fuckin shame it never was played, as its a brilliant song.
There's no clutching around here. The mere fact it isn't based on acoustic guitars makes it way more playable live. Plus Strange World has that eerie/ surreal ambiance (a bit like a softer version of Remember Tomorrow). Besides that once again you totally missed my points: a) I freakin' love Prodigal Son (TBH it's my favourite Maiden slow down song); b) I would love to see it played live; C) there must be a reason why it wasn't on a concert setlist a single time and the only thing that separates it from the remainder of the IM/ Killers songs is the fact it's acoustic guitar oriented.

Prodigal Son
Gangland
Sun and Steel
The Duellists (although the other 2 would probably work better in a live setting)
Deja Vu
Only the Good Die Young
Run Silent, Run Deep
Childhood's End
(umm...?)
Como Estais Amigo
The Nomad
Face in the Sand
Mother of Mercy
When the River Runs Deep

Throw in Hallowed, Number of the Beast and Iron Maiden and you've got quite a set!

There's no clutching around here. The mere fact it isn't based on acoustic guitars makes it way more playable live. Plus Strange World has that eerie/ surreal ambiance (a bit like a softer version of Remember Tomorrow). Besides that once again you totally missed my points: a) I freakin' love Prodigal Son (TBH it's my favourite Maiden slow down song); b) I would love to see it played live; C) there must be a reason why it wasn't on a concert setlist a single time and the only thing that separates it from the remainder of the IM/ Killers songs is the fact it's acoustic guitar oriented.

Alas, buddy it is you who is missing the point at which I’m hissing.

The acoustic song theories are well known fan theories. Plausible, but fan theory nonetheless.

What I am after here with you, buddy, is your statement that Prodigal Son was too slow to be played in the raunchy n’ wild setlist of the Killer Tour.
My argument being that Strange World is much slower and was fuckin played.

The Number of the Beast: Gangland
Powerslave: Flash of the Blade
Somewhere In Time: Alexander The Great
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: Only The Good Die Young
No Prayer For The Dying: Run Silent Run Deep
Fear of the Dark: Judas Be My Guide
The X Factor: I cannot think of any song that they did not play live that I think deserves to be played live.
Virtual XI: I cannot think of any song that they did not play live that I think deserves to be played live.
Brave New World: The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dance of Death: Montségur
The Final Frontier: Starblind
The Book of Souls: Empire of the Clouds

Alas, buddy it is you who is missing the point at which I’m hissing.

The acoustic song theories are well known fan theories. Plausible, but fan theory nonetheless.

What I am after here with you, buddy, is your statement that Prodigal Son was too slow to be played in the raunchy n’ wild setlist of the Killer Tour.
My argument being that Strange World is much slower and was fuckin played.

You keep on missing the point... but hey! have it your way. Whatever suits you better.

Um, alright.

Obviously. Not an outstanding song but a decent one anyway and would have worked live too. Wouldn't quite change any of the recently played slower songs for it though.
The Number of the Beast: Ganglad, obviously.
Might have been picked for the live set, had Piece of Mind not been as solid album as it turned out to be. Would rock any day, in any set, but I wouldn't exchange the "biggest gems" for it.
Powerslave: A tough one here. Basically any of the three songs might do. Maybe my definite pick is Back in the Village for the very same reasons that apply with Sun and Steel.
Somewhere in Time: Alexander the Great, but they'll never play it live and to be honest I'm quite happy that I've been able to witness Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Sign of the Cross and For the Greater Good of God live and I really wouldn't exchange any of those three for ATG, I guess.
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: The Propechy and Only the Good Die Young might be equal as songs, but the latter would work better live. It's one of the very few songs that I really, really consider as ones that should have been played live. It would have been a perfect way to close the 7th Son portion of the set during Maiden England tour as well. So much wasted potential here. I'd go as far as to say that much more with this one than ATG.
No Prayer for the Dying: NPFTD contenders are pretty equal, but maybe Fates Warning. Run Silent, Run Deep would also do. Fates' chorus might be tad bit more "explosive" live, it's pretty outrageous and the studio production really kills some of it's power.
Fear of the Dark: Childhood's End has nice harmonies and overall very concert-friendly arrangement with some appropriate room for Bruce's emotional delivery, but overall, I might still prefer Judas be My Guide... Just imagine if they ever played it right after some monumental song. BOOM!
The X-Factor: None of the songs they didn't play really have that much potentially special live value, but maybe Look for the Truth. It could have worked very well, even if it's nothing to really feel sorry for not being played.
Virtual XI: Como Estais Amigos. It would have made a good live song, even if Blaze's off-nights might have made it sound occasionally very flat. It would have been interesting to see Janick's live-take on the solo. If they didn't play ATSS back then, this one might have had a chance. I'd still give it one, but there's just no real reason for it to be played, considering that similar spot on the set would be dominated by ATSS or Blood Brothers.
Brave New World: The Thin Line Between Love & Hate. Of the songs they did play, but only a couple of times, I think that Out of the Silent Planet would have had much more potential than was executed. But yes, The Thin Line takes the cake here. I'd still love to hear it, but yeah, over and out.
Dance of Death: MONTSEGUR. HELL YES. Demanding as it is, but it's an outstanding song that would have fitted in very well to the DoD stage show. I can definitely see why it wasn't played though.
The Final Frontier: Tricky one. Isle of Avalon would possibly be a tad bit more easier to pull off, since it's not quite as relentless as Starblind and there's a lot of potential with smoke effects (you know, mists of Avalon) and lights, but yeah... Maybe I'd still go with Starblind. As with Montsegur, it's easy to see why it wasn't played though.
The Book of Souls: Empire of the Clouds - like there really was a choice. From the more "realistic" picks, Shadows of the Valley has some catchy melodies, but I still think it falls a bit flat towards the end with kind of a false climax earlier in the song, so I'm not sure if it really worked quite that well.

One quick #MaidenFanFiction fantasy-example of the (show- and pacing-wise) appropriate use of some of the mentioned songs

SAINTS AND SINNERS FANTASY TOUR

1. Moonchild w/ giant candles during the intro, pyro
2. Sun and Steel
3. The Evil That Men Do w/ pyro in the end
4. Children of the Damned
5. Isle of Avalon w/ dry ice/smoke effects
6. The Number of the Beast w/ pyro
7. Lord of the Flies
8. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son w/ pyro, giant candles, scribe Eddie)
9. The Clairvoyant
10. Only the Good Die Young w/ giant candles during 7 deadly sins outro
--
11. Revelations
12. The Thin Line Between Love & Hate
13. Iron Maiden w/ Eddie
--
14. Judas be My Guide w/ starts with pyro
15. The Trooper
16. Wasted Years

Last edited:
Iron Maiden: -
Killers: "Prodigal Son" (only option)
The Number of the Beast: "Invaders"
Piece of Mind: "Sun and Steel"
Powerslave: "Flash of the Blade"
Somewhere in Time: "Alexander the Great"
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: "Only the Good Die Young"
No Prayer for the Dying: "Mother Russia"
Fear of the Dark: "Judas Be My Guide"
The X Factor: "Look for the Truth"
Virtual XI: "Como Estais Amigos" (only option)
Brave New World: "The Nomad"
Dance of Death: "Montségur"
A Matter of Life and Death: -
The Final Frontier: "Isle of Avalon"
The Book of Souls: "Empire of the Clouds"

Just a side note that these don't necessarily represent my favorite songs from each album that weren't played live. I tried to choose the ones that, I feel, would work best in a live setting.

Back