Best New Music of 2018

IMO 2018 was a surprisingly great year for music. The reason I say that is because the amount of quality releases was distributed throghout a spectrum of genres like I haven't seen in years (from indie pop to grind core). Plus, there was a couple of bands I didn't knew about that literaly caught me off guard and out of nowhere.
Here are the first 5 examples (in no order):

God Is An Astronaut - Epitaph: I'm a longtime fan of this Irish post-rockers and if it's true I was expecting quality (and quality I got) I wasn't expecting the most polarized record of their carreer. The heavy parts are even heavier than usual and the ambient ones more soothing. Another great chapter in GIAA's legacy.

The Prodigy - No Tourists: Appart from a couple of avoidable high pitch modulated choirs here and there, No Tourist shows The Prodigy doing what they do like no one: taking you hostage in a breakbeat roller coaster of a thousand punches in the face per minute strobbing adrenaline.

Terrorizer - Caustic Attack: Speaking of a thousand punches in the face per minute... oh boy! Sandoval and friends' last offering is one of the best Grind Core records I've heard in years. Make no mistake: this beast sweats intensity so much that leaves all that gore drenched and pig squealling bozos sounding like a Disney soundtrack.

Judas Priest - Firepower: Really? How can it be that 42 years after their ground breaking masterpiece Sad Wings Of Destiny (with more than a handful of 10 out of 10 essential Heavy Metal albums in between) this guys still are able to record a monument to the gods of metal like Firepower? Simply remarkable!

Legend Of Seagullmen - Legend Of Seagullmen: In a year marked by the somewhat predictable new Mastodon record, Brent Hinds joins forces with Danny Carrey and presents us a true gem. There's something in this record that unlike Sleep's last one (a good yet overhyped record.. especially when compared with the rest of their catalogue) sounds truly retro.

Here are the remainding 5 and my album of the year pick:

Zeal and Ardor - Stranger Fruit: Get a little bit of Mike Patton a la Fantomas, Nick Cave, Black Metal, Garage Rock and Gospel music and you'll get the single most surprising and ground breaking album I've heard in decades. This mix had everything to go wrong. It didn't in any possible aspect. Amazing.

Bishop Briggs - Church Of Scars: Don't let yourself get fooled by the Princess Leya gone Hip Hop looks of this young lady. Beneath there's one of the best and more versatiles Indie rock voices and composing brains I've witnessed in years. Yes, the hype around Church Of Scars is totally justified.

Voivod - The Wake: Another excellent conceptual sci-fi album from the Canadian prog metal masters. It has multiple swings, heavy and quiet parts, dissonant and melodic moments and bears the quality seal of one of the best veteran bands still in the business.

Alice In Chains - Rainier Fog: The day Jerry Cantrell writes an album of questionable quality is yet to come as far as I'm concerned. Rainier Fog carries everything that addicts me (no pun intended) to this band without sounding dated or recycled. AIC reinforcing the idea they're still one of the best rock acts around.

And my favourite 2018 album is:

IHSAHN - ÀMR: Eremita and Arktis are gems only a genius hell bent to push metal boundaries towards can manage to pull out. But I wasn't ready for something like what Ihsahn managed with Àmr. It is complete, crafted, mind boggling, complex yet full of easy listening hooks grab you in an ultra addictive manner. If you have an open mind and like out of the box metal, do yourself a favour and listen to this masterpiece.

Some good music there karljant. I am not much into post-rock but that was one cool song.

Why open a new thread if we just rename this thread and people post all their new found good music of 2019 in it? It's the same result :lol:

These threads are often reviewed by people looking for year-specific recommendations, plus people will still be discovering music from 2018 for awhile. We traditionally open a new thread and I believe that's appropriate in this case.

Why open a new thread if we just rename this thread and people post all their new found good music of 2019 in it? It's the same result :lol:
AND has the benefit of people being able to scroll back and see recommended albums and good music from years gone by!
I would prefer to have a new thread for 2019 because in January we may still have retrospective discussion from the previous year's albums.

Back