Best New Music - 2019 Edition

@Wogmidget do you have an opinion on this song? How does it make you feel? How does it compare to the rest of the band's material? Can you say anything to encourage people to play the video? This. Is. Not. Buzzfeed.

Wow, harsh.

I quite like it, and I think it bodes well for the rest of the album, even if gets a bit Dragonforce-esque at times. It's no Emerald Sword or Holy Thunderforce (but then again, I wouldn't expect it to be with only one founding member left), but I find it to be very listenable cheese.

That good enough for you, matey?

So far this year there have been good albums from Soilwork, Dust Bolt and Flotsam & Jetsam.

Today Evergrey, Swallow the Sun, Ancient Bards and Dark Moor have released new albums, plus there's another new song from Avantasia. So much to music to listen to on Spotify! :dancinggeek:

So far this year there have been good albums from Soilwork, Dust Bolt and Flotsam & Jetsam.

Today Evergrey, Swallow the Sun, Ancient Bards and Dark Moor have released new albums, plus there's another new song from Avantasia. So much to music to listen to on Spotify! :dancinggeek:
But what do YOU think of them?

I always make it a point to minimize the screen when sampling something new.

I like to hear the music, not see it. Eliminates any kind of conflict.

That being said, I'll have to pass.

It's tight, for sure. Well done, intricate and high flying.

But a bit too neat and sterile for me.

I'm not overly familiar with this band (I only know one album), but I'm quite partial to the way this song is structured. It's quite heavy and the instrumental mid-part has a certain hypnotic quality to it. I might check out the new album.

I'm not overly familiar with this band (I only know one album), but I'm quite partial to the way this song is structured. It's quite heavy and the instrumental mid-part has a certain hypnotic quality to it. I might check out the new album.
Do it, Perun. Evergrey have made some very good music since they returned from a hiatus and I think 'Hymns for the Broken' is my favourite album of theirs. I've listened to the new album 'The Atlantic' a few times so far and I'm enjoying it. I reckon this is their most proggy album to date, although they've always been considered to be a Prog Metal band.

So far this year I have been making an effort to listen to one new album per week - something which is very easy with Spotify. Here is the list of new albums I've listened to so far:

Ancient Bards - Origine (The Black Crystal Sword Saga, Pt. 2)
Avantasia - Moonglow
Beast in Black - From Hell With Love
Delain - Hunter's Moon EP
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
Dust Bolt - Trapped in Chaos
Evergrey - The Atlantic
Flotsam and Jetsam - The End of Chaos
Queensryche - The Verdict
Soilwork - Verkligheten
Swallow the Sun - When A Shadow Is Forced Into The Light
Within Temptation - Resist

The albums I've been most impressed by so far are the ones from Ancient Bards, Beast in Black, Dust Bolt, Flotsam & Jetsam and Soilwork. Avantasia's and Within Temptation's albums have been quite underwhelming.

There are plenty of interesting albums coming up too:

Cellar Darling
Eluveite
Hammerfall
Alter Bridge
Sabaton
Blind Guardian
Iron Saviour
Alexisonfire (?)
Bad Religion

And plenty more I'm sure.

New Baroness!! This video is rather stupid, but the song is solid, and gets great a little after the 3:00 mark...
Along with Ghost and (maybe) Power Trip, they are one of my favorite hard rock/metal bands of the past decade. (Note, they sound nothing like either Ghost or Power Trip.)

Last edited:
Digging the debut album from Idle Hands. Sort of a cross between heavy metal and gothic rock, with a tinge of post-punk/new-wave influence. Ghost fans will probably like this.

Been listening to this album for a month or so now, and I reckon it's definite AOTY material. well-executed, straightforward power metal a la early Blind Guardian. There's not a lot of variation in terms of lyrical subject matter, but honestly that's the only real nit I can pick. Good stuff.

I just stumbled across this little bundle of awesomeness; sounds like it's fallen through a wormhole from 1985. It's also power metal, but just a bit 'arder and more akin to some of Cheesevivor's US-based bands

Back