Best New Music - 2020 edition

Cornfed Hick

Ancient Mariner
I have been remiss in doing this thread this year. But it's not too late! Post a list, post a single release, metal/non-metal, rank/don't rank, whatever. No real rules. The point is just to share with the Forum your favorite new releases of 2020.

I'll kick things off. Here are a few of my favorites so far:

Kvelertak - Splid

The Strokes - The New Abnormal

and, WTF, I'll note the ridiculous but fun Eternal Champion too (cover/video NSFW):

I really don’t spend a lot of time listening to new music unless it’s from a band I love already. With that in mind, Nightwish’s HVMAN. :||: NATVRE. was even better than I had anticipated and I rate it among the best of their works.

Haven't bought much new albums this year, British Lion and AC/DC are pretty good, but this has been the discovery of the year for me.

@SixesAlltheway posted the album cover in the Now Playing thread and I just checked it out as a gamble because I liked the retro album cover. The whole record is great, it has a similar retro old school vibe to Ghost in going back to styles that aren't played much anymore. I went back and bought all their albums, the earlier stuff is a bit more Saxon/Priest/NWOBHM and is pretty good but that latest album is great.

My favorite album of this year was Grave Digger's Fields Of Blood. It was a strong return to form for them. Definitely their best album in a long time and a nice surprise for me.

The best stuff I’ve heard from 2020:

Mekong Delta - Tales Of A Future Past (prog metal)
- From everyone’s favorite GMAC underdog!
(Full album playlist)

Black Swan - Shake The World (hair metal)
- This includes Robin McAuley, Reb Beach, Jeff Pilson, and Matt Starr
(Full album playlist)

I’m also going to cheat and mention an album from late 2019 that I really got into this year, which is one of the very few doom metal albums I like:

Fvneral Fvkk - Carnal Confessions (doom metal)
- All clean vocals, brutal lyrical content about abuse and perversion within the Catholic church!
(Full album playlist)

Albums I had on repeat this year:

John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - K.G.

AC/DC - Power Up

Pearl Jam - Gigaton

I don't think I need to introduce any one of these, except maybe King Gizzard, but their latest release is as far from metal as it could get (still awesome, tho.)

As nothing else worth checking out is coming out until the end of the year... it's time for my favorite songs of the year - Spotify playlist:

I limited myself to one song per artist. Overall a poor year.

Top 5 albums:
1. Paradise Lost - Obsidian
2. Enslaved - Utgard
3. Dark Tranquillity - Moment
4. Anaal Nathrakh - Endarkenment
5. The Ocean - Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic I Cenozoic

No Schaffer / Barlow, NP?
No original songs there. I also excluded live recordings and covers from the playlist, it's just original stuff.

I’ve actually been (slowly) going through The Ocean and I’m interesting in this album in particular. How similar is it to their first three records?
I'm also going slow, but from the last album then backwards. Last two albums are absolutely amazing. I haven't heard the old stuff.

There will be two The Ocean songs (one from each of the last two albums) in The Crusade of Epics.

Paradise Lost get best album 2020 vote from me for Obsidian (kind of fitting that that should be won by a doom band in 2020?). A really cracking weighty album that draws on all of PL's previous musical exploits over the years, in my opinion, and is one of their most consistent albums overall.

Then it's probably a tie between Katatonia's City Burials (again, fitting) and Unleash the Archers' Abyss. Katatonia are very acquired-taste and mellow, think Opeth in an especially low key mellow moment, but with unusually soft vocals, so I won't recommend to passers-by, but I felt this album reakly, built on their previous one, with some very nice understated guitar work. They don't get enough recognition that. Not unlike Paradise Lost's 2020 offering, it sounds like they've pulled together highlights of their music from several distinct eras.

Abyss has a few really nice, promising tracks, on a par with Apex, but also a couple of corny ones which were a disappointment in comparison to the previous album, Apex. And they made a conscious effort to go a bit synthetic sounding and sci-fi, which I really didn't think much of to begin with, but it does work in the context of the storyline, and sounded tremendous in their live stream performance. It's an album meant to be listened to as a whole, they've said that's the intention, too, it's part 2 of the story they started in the previous album. That said, if you're going to pick out individual tracks, Soulbound is easy-access, and The Wind That Shapes The Land is a bit more epic, top form UTA.

I recently got Dark Tranquility's Moment, which is growing on me fast. Comes across as more low-key and melancholy than some of their other music, without being drastically different.

The other album that's been a keeper - and I keep forgetting this was actually is a 2020 release - is British Lion's second album. I maintain my opinion that it has a real hint of Unforgettable Fire-era U2 about it, and I do feel this band is getting more comfortable with who they are and more confident in finding their own direction. You realise they were almost shying away from stand-out guitar work in their first album, maybe because they really don't want to be compared and contrasted with Maiden. Which of course they are anyway. There are a couple of very nice sounding guitar moments here and there in The Burning. It's like: "Oh you didn't tell us you could actually play."

Gotta add one more which I just discovered recently, but which came out in mid-December 2020: Crescent Lament’s Land Of Lost Voices.

This is gothic folk metal from Taiwan, so it blends traditional Chinese instrumentation with symphonic metal, which is a potent and exotic sound. The songwriting is top notch and the production is crisp. The vocals are all in Chinese, but this didn’t bother me much. The main singer is a female soprano who usually sounds good, but occasionally has an amateurish quality to her voice. There are also some unfortunate harsh male vocals here and there, but I found them tolerable because they’re relatively rare and the rest of the music is bursting with melody.

I don’t listen to a lot of foreign language music, but this album got its hooks in me and I’m really falling in love with it. The balance between folk and metal is just about perfect for my taste. Check it out if you’re in the mood for something unusual.

Full album:

Video for the first single:

Leaving here my 2020 top 10 (2021 is almost over and there are still some great some great albums upcoming - and from the two songs I've listened to I bet my fav will be released at the end of this month):
  1. Paradise Lost - Obsidian (Doom/ Gothic Metal)
  2. PG. Lost - Oscilate (Post Rock)
  3. Napalm Death - Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeat (Grindcore)
  4. Obscure Sphinx - Thaumaturgy - Live (Sludge/ Post Metal)
  5. Sepultura - Quadra (Thrash/ Groove Metal)
  6. Ihsahn - Pharos (Alternative Rock)
  7. Iress - Flaw (Post Rock/ Stoner)
  8. Zeal And Ardor - Wake Of A Nation (Gospel/ Alternative/ Black Metal)
  9. Mark Lanegan - Straight Songs Of Sorrow (Alternative Rock)
  10. My Dying Bride - The Ghost of Orion (Doom/ Gothic Metal)

Last edited:
I can't believe I didn't include Ghost of Orion in my post. That was a slow grower but it's had a lot of playtime since I got it. Very mellow and good chillout music (if slightly depressing).

Back