Best Music of 2012

I thought Testament had the best release of 2012. Until Soundgarden released their reunion album in November - I hadn't even heard them save for Spoonman, Black Hole Sun and Beyond the Wheel, before.

Insanely good. Dare I say one of my current all time favorite tracks.

And their new video, courtesy of Dave Grohl .

Bones of Birds is a great track.
Yax, you should be joining us on the Games forum for Best Album Ever Survivor.
I'll be posting a new round tonight, Pacific time.
2009 -2012 poised to join the game in a few days.

I'll join. I must admit though, that out of the latest poll, I haven't heard around a quarter of the albums. ><

Dare I say one of my current all time favorite tracks.

Bones of Birds is a great track.

Hm. I guess I don't get it. It sounds fine, but a lot like other Soundgarden stuff. I wasn't as inspired by it as you guys were.

Thanks for posting it, though, and keeping this thread alive. Always on the lookout for new stuff -- or at least new to me, as Foro has introduced me to mid-90s music from The Gathering which I never noticed before, but is great.

For me, the best album from 2012 is 'Sounds That Can't Be Made' by Marillion.

'Gaza':

'Sounds That Can't Be Made':

Forgot to check that out. Not familiar with a lot of post-Fish Marillion but I heard that this one was good. I'll give it a shot

I hadn't really heard of this band in 2012, but apparently they were a big deal among the indie hipsters. You ever wonder what it would sound like if George Harrison sang lead vocals for Muse? Me neither. But that's what this sounds like. This is actually quite good, and stands out from the other indie hipster nonsense. Also better than anything on Muse's latest album. Worth a listen. This is "Elephant" by Tame Impala.

And here is a link to a live performance of the same song that sounds remarkably true to the record. Obviously a big Beatles influence here, including using Paul's bass.
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/tame-impala-elephant/n32934/

Oh yea, I remember hearing that song last year but never checked out their album. I should really do that, it's a great song.

Here are some more 2012 goodies:
Twin Killers - The Cathedral [Psychedelic]
While their full length album isn't due until later this year, Twin Killers released 3 songs from it last year. All 3 are very good but this one is my favorite. These songs are really quite unique in both sound and structure; there isn't really an obvious verse/chorus structure, but more of a stream of consciousness type sound. Because of this, these songs take a ton of listens to fully appreciate, which is why I'm kinda glad they were only releasing them one at a time for awhile.

Hiromi - Move (From Move) [Jazz Fusion]
I can't find much from this album on Youtube, but it's definitely worth looking for. The entire album is awesome and one of my favorites from last year. It's pretty basic in instrumentation being just piano bass and drums for the most part, but she uses a synthesizer every now and again. Even though the songs are very complicated, they're also very easy to listen to and the whole album goes by fast. Good for anyone who likes Jazz or piano driven music.

Wren - Soup (From Soup) [Electronic]
I posted Wren in my 2011 Music thread way back when. This is from the followup album Soup, which I actually haven't heard the whole thing yet because it isn't free :D (I'm still waiting for a physical release). So I can't comment on the whole album but I really like this song. The parts are more intricate than older stuff which were mostly just loops and the new vocalist he got is very good.

Ein Astronaut - Be Again (From Galaxy)
I posted about a collab I did with Ein Astronaut awhile back here: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-post-your-own-music-thread.20827/page-8#post-367819
But I forgot to talk about his latest album, which is maybe my favorite from him. His sound has really evolved and he gets better with every release. These video songs are cool because you get to see him make every sound that appears in the song. Yes, this isn't a traditional music video, it's him actually recording the song.

Back