Best heavy metal albums from each year 1970-1990

1970 - Black Sabbath - Paranoid (only metal album I have from this year)
You also have their debut.
1981 - Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Amazing album! And my non Ozzy era favorite Sabbath record (it even surpasses their debut, 13, Technical Ecstasy, Master Of Reality, and of couse Never Say Die... so it's my #5 Sabbath record). People normally adore Heaven and Hell but I love Mob Rules so much more. The only reason it didn't make #1 in my list was Killers.
1989 - Blind Guardian - Follow The Blind
Monster of an album, underrated as hell and my favorite from the band.

Last edited:
I like Black sabbath, but they are far from my favorite band. But they were like the only metal band in the world from 1970-1975, so their first six albums are my favorite metal albums from that time.
So:
1976 - Rising
1977 - Sin after sin (not very good, but again, still very few metal albums released)
1978 - Long live rockn roll
1979 - Overkill
1980 - British steel/Lightning to the nations
1981 - Killers
1982 - Black metal
1983 - Kill’em all
1984 - Morbid tales/Powerslave/Ride the lightning
1985 - Bonded by blood/To mega therion
1986 - Reign in blood/Master of puppets/Somewhere in time
1987 - Under the sign of the black mark/persecution mania
1988 - Operation mindcrime, blood fire death/Transendence
1989 - Death or glory/Agent orange

There are still many other good ones as well, especially during the 80’s

Looking at what happened in the 90's, we could consider 1990 to be classic metal's "heroic last stand".
Mmmm not quite... The first half of the decade was still really good when it came to some classic metal releases

1991:
Mettallica - Metallica (although I don't like it it's probably the metal album that sold the most ever)
Overkill - Horrorscope
Anthrax - Attack Of The Killer B's
Gamma Ray - Sigh No More
Ozzy - No More Tears
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Voivod - Angel Rat
Motorhead - 1916
Skid Row - Slave To The Grind
Armored Saint - Symbol Of Salvation
Fates Warning - Parallels

1992:
Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer (it was kind of a letdown for me, but it was the Heaven And Hell line up reunion)
Dream Theater - Images And Words
Holocaust - Hypnosis Of Birds
Mercyful Fate - Return Of The Vampire
WASP - The Crimson Idol
Testament - The Ritual
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Marty Friedman - Scenes
Kreator - Renewal
Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormbringer
Manowar - The Tryumph Of Steel
... and of course Fear Of The Dark (although I think it's Maiden's worst record)

1993:
Mercyful Fate - In The Shadows
Motorhead - Bastards
Gamma Ray - Insanity And Genius
Fight - War Of Words
Voivod - The Outer Limits
Overkill - I Hear Black
Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise
Annihilator - Set The World On Fire
Savatage - Edge Of Thorns
Angra - Angels Cry
... and live albums by Maiden, Slayer, Metallica and Dream Theater

1994:
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Dream Theater - Awake
Slayer - Divine Intervention
Testament - Low
Queensryche - Promised Land
Overkill - WFO
Helloween - Master Of The Rings
Mercyful Fate - Time
Savatage - Handful Of Rain
Running Wild - Black Hand Inn
Fates Warning - Inside Out

1995:
Iron Maiden - The X Factor (don't care what people say... it's a great record)
King Diamond - The Spider's Lullaby
Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
Ozzy - Ozzmosis
Kreator - Cause For Conflict
WASP - Still Not Black enough
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons
Motorhead - Sacrifice
Running Wild - Masquerade
Van Hallen - Balance
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Virgin Steel - The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell Pt 1
Coroner - Coroner
Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free
... and live albums by Testament and Overkill

Just to name some. As you can see there was lots of quality Hard Rock/ Heavy/ Power/ Thrash metal albums coming out.

Last edited:
That hurt.
What do you want? I simply can't stand those bands LOL. Nevertheless I must admit it: they had the merit of being part of a really strong revivalist movement in a time when almost every 80's Power Metal band not named Blind Guardian was struggling to maintain their quality status. Credit where credit's due.

The thing is, most of the mainstream metal bands, the stalwarts from the ‘80s, evolved a lot once the new decade set in. Metallica stripped down their sound not once, but twice, and became a hard rock band; Megadeth started treading into poppier territory; Iron Maiden stripped down their sound, and then — like Anthrax and Judas Priest — lost their iconic vocalist and tried to overcompensate for that*. And all the hair bands got tossed to the curb with the rise of the grunge scene. 1990 was pretty much the final great year for classic metal as we knew it during the ‘80s.

But, it was also one of the best decades for heavy music, and there was pretty much something for everyone there. In the mainstream scene, Pantera kickstarted the groove genre, Korn and co brought along an innovative approach with nu metal*, and industrial rose up like a bat out of hell. But it’s the more underground scene that’s really interesting. Black metal and death metal had probably their best decade ever, bands like Dream Theater, Iced Earth and Symphony X took up the torches that had been passed to them by the icons of old, and power metal really kicked into gear. As much as people complain about the decade, it was actually a great one. Metal was just undergoing an identity crisis that wouldn’t be fully fleshed out till the 2000s.

*The X Factor still rules though. Jugulator does not.

**Which I think largely sucks, but that has more to do with how many bands felt dumbed down. Not that metal bands weren’t dumbed down before — an infinite amount of Judas Priest wannabes just screaming about how metal is cool is almost as uninteresting as Limp Bizkit doin’ it for the nookie. Bands like SOAD and Linkin Park actually had a legitimacy and are examples of the genre done right.

First and foremost, 2 points:
*The X Factor still rules though. Jugulator does not.
Wrong. Both rule. ;)
As much as people complain about the decade, it was actually a great one.
Right. it ruled. Normally people who complain about that is because of this point yo accurately pointed:
all the hair bands got tossed to the curb with the rise of the grunge scene.
... and since I always fucking hated hair metal I simply loved it (am not a Nirvana, Hole, L7, Screaming Trees, Babes In Toyland or Blind Melon fan... but I'd rather listen to 1 hour of any of these bands than 1 minute of 99,9% of 80's hair metal. Plus Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains and Soundgarden were not Grunge. Stop it. The first has always been a Rock band and the latter Heavy Alternative Rock bands. :p

Now:
The thing is, most of the mainstream metal bands, the stalwarts from the ‘80s, evolved a lot once the new decade set in.
Metal was just undergoing an identity crisis
Most classical bands already had evolved as hell during the 80's. Killers and TNOTB, British Steel and Point Of Entry, Kill'Em All, Show No Mercy, Killing Is My Business, Fistful Of Metal, Feel The Fire, InThe Sign Of Evil, Bathory, War And Pain, Bestial Devastation, Morbid Tales and Endless Pain are (respectively) really different from Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son, Ram It Down and Turbo, And Justice For All, South Of Heaven, So Far So Good So What, State Of Euphoria, The Years Of Decay, Agent Orange, Hammerheart, Nothingface, Beneath The Remains, Into The Pandemonium and Extreme Aggression just to name a few. Sometimes people get caught up in dates with zeros. There was never an identity crisis... the 90's were just another decade when new bands continued to pour from the sky but particularly it was the time when various genres in heavy music got more mixed with other genres in a ratio like it never happened before in 20 years of metal.

industrial rose up like a bat out of hell.
Once again it all started in the late 80's: Pretty Hate Machine, The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste, L'eau Rouge, Gashed Senses And Crossfire. Not To mention the European veterans like Nitzer Ebb, KMFDM, Die Krupps, Laibach and Ensturzende Neubauten which are much prior to that. But yeah... those bands reaped what they sew basically during the early 90's (albums like Psalm 69, Broken, Only Heaven) that later would open up the road for Maryllin Manson and Rammstein.

Black metal and death metal had probably their best decade ever
Black Metal sure (the second wave). Now most big Death Metal bands that came out with full strength in the late 80's started slowly morphing into something else during the early 90's (1993 to 1995... somewhere along those years) either going prog Death Metal (Death, Pestilence), Death N' Roll (Entombed, Gorefest, Carcass), adding industrial and noise traits to their sound (Morgoth, Brutal Truth) and groove (Sepultura, Obituary, Napalm Death). I'm not saying those bands decayed... in some cases it was quite the opposite: they got even better. But by the second half of the 90's the Death Metal scene (so well outlined in its genre) was all mixed up and disintegrated as we knew it.

Korn and co brought along an innovative approach with nu metal
Although Korn brought themselves the door down with a bang with their debut, the genre only started to gain true hegemony once System Of A Down and Slipknot also released their debuts ... and the rise of the infamous Bizkit fuckheads was the last nail in the coffin. And that was in the turn of the decade (1998, 1999) and still lasted for a good amount of the 2000's. Fortunately it ended!

Last edited:
... and since I always fucking hated hair metal I simply loved it (am not a Nirvana, Hole, L7, Screaming Trees, Babes In Toyland or Blind Melon fan... but I'd rather listen to 1 hour of any of these bands than 1 minute of 99,9% of 80's hair metal. Plus Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains and Soundgarden were not Grunge. Stop it. The first has always been a Rock band and the latter Heavy Alternative Rock bands. :p

1 minute? More like 10 seconds ...

Metallica stripped down their sound not once, but twice, and became a hard rock band; Megadeth started treading into poppier territory; Iron Maiden stripped down their sound, and then — like Anthrax and Judas Priest — lost their iconic vocalist and tried to overcompensate for that*.

Maiden's strip down is questionable because FOTD isn't stripped down...it's regular big Maiden with epics and shit. Neither are the TXF/VXI periods...it's usually concluded on this forum that current Maiden style is rooted in the mid 90s, and it's the exact opposite of stripped down.

No Prayer marks the period where the band did not want to do anything big, and just play gigs. They did feel the pressure of keeping up with the releases. So they did a release that's recorded at home and mainly promoted at home. Musical direction wise, they should've done a low-key release as an excuse for a no-frills tour, like Metallica did with Garage. However I think there were cohesion problems in the band at that point and Harris did not want to slow down the train, so to speak.

I don't think Harris compensated for Dickinson's exit at all. Harris' writing for FOTD is not different from TXF. They did lose Dickinson as a songwriter.

Metallica didn't strip down in the 90s at all, they started using a producer instead of trial-and-error gluing of riffs. They went less aggressive (Maiden lost aggression in 1982 which is 7 years into the band, Metallica lost it after 9, they'd possibly even sooner if not for tragic death...people get older and less pissed about things). And consequently changed super-fast "complex" single riff for a more medium paced two rhythm guitar approach.

Metallica intentionally and famously stripped down in the St Anger period.

Megadave intentionally and famously followed what Metallica did to try and outdo them.

These bands had their own timelines and reasons to change I don't think it has to do much with being "the 90s".

Maiden's strip down is questionable because FOTD isn't stripped down...it's regular big Maiden with epics and shit. Neither are the TXF/VXI periods...it's usually concluded on this forum that current Maiden style is rooted in the mid 90s, and it's the exact opposite of stripped down.
FOTD is bigger than NPFTD but otherwise it’s about as stripped down. A lot of the tracks are pretty straightforward — Be Quick, Here To Eternity, Chains Of Misery, Judas Be My Guide, Weekend Warrior. When they throw in extra stuff it’s more experimental than on previous Maiden albums (see: Fear Is The Key and The Apparition). The only songs on there that have the classic Maiden are the title track and Afraid To Shoot Strangers, the latter of which hints big-time at the next album. And even then no song crosses the 8 minute mark, which hearkens back to their earlier years, not to the final three ‘80s albums. It’s the final album not to have an 8+ minute epic too.

Yeah I wasn’t implying that the Blaze albums were stripped down. My comment about overcompensating isn’t to say that Steve radically changed his songwriting style. It was building up to this from the beginning. But the execution, the feel, the vibe is completely different. It’s so much darker and bleaker than ever before. Add to that the fact that it eschews both their classic polished sound of the ‘80s and their crunchier production of the first two ‘90s albums — it’s a different beast altogether, even though the DNA is still the same. Not to mention it’s longer than any Maiden release up to that point. That’s more what I mean by overcompensating. But again, it’s one of my favorite albums ever so I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. VXI seems more like after pushing themselves on TXF they wanted to keep the general writing style but make it feel more like a classic Maiden record. Obviously that’s not what happened (but again, I like the album).

These bands had their own timelines and reasons to change I don't think it has to do much with being "the 90s".
Oh yeah I agree with that. It all happened during the ‘90s, though, that was kinda my point. With all the classic bands having identity crises, people overlook how many great new acts were now on the table.

Back