• Lightning Strikes Twice

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Gates of Tommorow

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Montsegur

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
Indeed Perun,

I don't think it is used much anymore. It was a more prevalent strategy by record companies in the olden days. A record company could pick up some band they thought had potential and whom might have a hit on their hands and they'd take a chance on that band and do a hurried recording process, telling the band to scrape together a few more songs so that the record company could get an album, and the suspected hits, out on the streets and make money!

I think if it is still around today you see it in pop music. Those pop singers who has their MTV hits but no one remembers their full albums.

The only official Maiden filler I know is Genghis Khan and that's if I recall correctly. It's one of the best off Killers, too.

Yeah, I think I recall reading somewhere that Genghis Khan was written as a filler. About the only other one might be Wasting Love, which at the very least a single written for commercial reasons (although Maiden gave it their own twist). Other than that, I've always held Maiden in too high esteem to believe they'd put a song on an album purely for the purpose of a filler.

I voted on Sun and Steel - I love the heavy riffs at the beginning but to be honest with you "Piece of Mind" was never one of my favourites. (They made up for it with Powerslave) Just my opinion here. :)

Judgement Of Heaven :eek: no way this is a filler ! One of the best Blaze era songs..... so melodic tune and that twin-lead guitar harmony is amazing. Currently this song is in my Top 15 Maiden songs, but easily can jump into Top 10 without any problems.

Other songs that I think are NOT fillers from the list above are: Sun and Steel, The Assassin, The Fugitive, Chains Of Misery, 2 A.M., Lightning Strike Twice, Gates Of Tomorrow and Montsegur..... and to some extent Public Enema Number One, Quest For Fire and Look For The Truth.

Last edited:
The criteria for “filler song” from this list is suspect, but I’m going with “Sun And Steel”.

Judgement Of Heaven :eek: no way this is a filler ! One of the best Blaze era song..... so melodic tune and that twin-lead guitar harmony is amazing. Currently this song is in my Top 15 Maiden songs, but easily can jump into Top 10 without any problems.

Other songs that I think are NOT fillers from the list above are: Sun and Steel, The Assassin, The Fugitive, Chains Of Misery, 2 A.M., Lightning Strike Twice, Gates Of Tomorrow and Montsegur..... and to some extent Public Enema Number One, Quest For Fire and Look For The Truth.
Judgement Of Heaven :eek: no way this is a filler ! One of the best Blaze era song..... so melodic tune and that twin-lead guitar harmony is amazing. Currently this song is in my Top 15 Maiden songs, but easily can jump into Top 10 without any problems.

I agree with your point regarding Judgement Of Heaven and Montsegur. The only filler symptom they bear is the lack of live playing (but if that's the main requisite then 6 out of the songs on the poll were played live several times). I can't see how Innocent Exile, Twilight Zone and Invaders can be dubbed fillers also. Either you love or hate these tracks, fact is 1 of them was played several times live and was Paul's favorite track (plus Killers has no fillers you heretics!! :D), Twhilight Zone had a single of its own and Invaders is the opening track of one of the most influental records in Rock Music. To a certain extent also 2 AM, Lighning Strikes, Look For The Truth, Gates Of Tommorrow and even PEN1 are a bit more than the "filler" definition bears IMO. This only shows how subjective the concept of this label is.

IMO a filler can be defined a lackluster song embededed among its peers that, without sounding out of place and of doesn't bears an absolute crappy quality standard, seems like a build on leftovers from the other songs.
Here are examples of what I consider to be fillers - songs that are quite enjoyable but leave the impression that they would work way better as B sides:
  • Sun And Steel
  • The Assassin
  • Chains of Misery
  • Weekend Warrior
  • The Fugitive
  • Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
  • When 2 Worlds Collide
  • The Fallen Angel
  • New Frontier
  • The Man Of Sorrows
  • Shadows Of The Valley

Then there are stinkers (that can also be fillers) that well... are songs you really find crappy . And here's where personal taste enters IMO great examples are:
  • Gangland
  • Quest For Fire
  • Hooks In You
  • From Here To Eternity
  • Fear Is The Key
  • Wasting Love
  • The Apparition
  • The Angel And The Gambler
  • The Fallen Angel
  • The Mercenary
  • Age Of innocence
When it comes to songs you really dislike it doesn't matter how many times they were played live or if they had its own single. The only requisites for this category is you find the composition poor and have the immediate impulse to press the "next" button the second they hit your eardrums .

Last edited:
I agree with your point regarding Judgement Of Heaven and Montsegur. The only filler symptom they bear is the lack of live playing (but if that's the main requisite then 6 out of the songs on the poll were played live several times). I can't see how Innocent Exile, Twilight Zone and Invaders can be dubbed fillers also. Either you love or hate these tracks, fact is 1 of them was played several times live and was Paul's favorite track (plus Killers has no fillers you heretics!! :D), Twhilight Zone had a single of its own and Invaders is the opening track of one of the most influental records in Rock Music. To a certain extent also 2 AM, Lighning Strikes, Look For The Truth, Gates Of Tommorrow and even PEN1 are a bit more than the "filler" definition bears IMO. This only shows how subjective the concept of this label is.

Well these songs are ''weak'' in their respective albums only because the other material is so strong, so that's why some find them as a fillers, but they're not. They easily can be some of the best songs of any other band. Maiden standards are so high and that is also a factor. But I think with Maiden you know that every time when they releases a new album, the music is always top-notch and that's amazing really. And do not forget that with Maiden you never know when a song will become one that you will like.

Personal opinion, but still:
  • Sun And Steel
  • The Assassin
  • The Fugitive
  • Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
  • When 2 Worlds Collide
  • The Fallen Angel
  • New Frontier
  • The Man Of Sorrows
  • Shadows Of The Valley
  • No. :nonono:

And these songs stinkers:
    • Gangland
    • Quest For Fire
    • From Here To Eternity
    • Wasting Love
    • The Fallen Angel
    • The Mercenary ........ absolutely No.

Last edited:
Well these songs are ''weak'' in their respective albums only because the other material is so strong, so that's why some find them as a fillers, but they're not. They easily can be some of the best songs of any other band. Maiden standards are so high and that is also a factor. But I think with Maiden you know that every time when they releases a new album, the music is always top-notch and that's amazing really. And do not forget that with Maiden you never know when a song will become a one that you will like.

Personal opinion, but still:

• No. :nonono:

And these songs stinkers:
    • Gangland
    • Quest For Fire
    • From Here To Eternity
    • Wasting Love
    • The Fallen Angel
    • The Mercenary ........ absolutely No.

No Absolutes here... Like I said before:

Only stated mine.

I made this thread over 6 years ago. Why on earth did I consider The Fugitive, Public Enema Number One, and Judgement of Heaven to be filler songs?

Back