BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Both matches are hard, because it's a battle of modern and boomer drummers.

Bill Ward in the 70's was a fucking monster. He bashes that kit like it owes him money (or more likely, drugs). But most importantly, his fills and timing is impeccable here. Shame that there aren't many (quality) recordings from this era. Also kinda annoying that the best videos have different lyrics from the studio versions so it's hard to get into them.

Martin Axenrot grew on me. With Bloodbath he's totally insane and fits their sound perfect. With Opeth... dude is giving his best there, but his style just doesn't fit the Newpeth style. Not to say that he's bad... most Newpeth stuff sounds better live because he has more freedom and no shitty retro production as an obstacle. Unfortunately for him, he's going against a legend, so won't be voting for him here.

Martin Lopez is one of my favorite drummers ever. His sense for improvisation live and inventive drumming in studio is unmatched in the genre IMO. Shame that he left before Newpeth era as that style would've fit him perfectly. He had his faults; upping the tempo too much live or trying to cram in too many fills and hence going out of tune... But he's still too awesome (for sure).

Phil Collins is definitely a legend, but In The Air Tonight is just about the only song of his I know from both Genesis and his solo career. Good song, good drumming, but I doubt someone could throw a video of him drumming that would make me vote for him against one of my favorite drummers.

This round is pretty savage. In the end I went with the classics (despite Opeth being among my top bands ever!), but it was really tough - I really wanted both Lopez and Collins to continue.

Lopez is a monster and one of my favourite drummers, indeed, but Phil was a real legend back in the day.

Also, I don't think it's fair to present him only through In the Air Tonight, a classic it may be.

These are really something else:

Also, Brand X.

EDIT: Oh, also ... I really couldn't help myself, here's Neil Peart on Phil Collins :D

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/20110400rhythm.htm

Last edited:
Thanks @JudasMyGuide Great tribute by our beloved Peart!

"Phil Collins was an enormous influence on my drumming in the '70s, and thus remains a part of my playing even today. His recorded drum parts with Genesis and Brand X in those years were technically accomplished, yet so musical - even lyrical. His rhythmic patterns were woven into the intricacy of the music, while lending a smooth, fluid pulse to the songs and extended instrumentals. His fills were imaginative and exciting, alive with energy and variety, while the refined technique was always in the service of the music. Even within those fills, Phil applied a jazz drummer's sense of dynamics, which also guided his ensemble playing, and inspired me to try to incorporate that sensibility into my own triple-f approach.

Plus, his drums sounded so good. Good-sounding drums are always the result of a good-sounding drummer, and speak of the player's touch. Phil's combination of that quality and the natural drive of his playing produced truly melodic-sounding drum parts - flowing and musical. One outstanding piece of work that reflected all of those qualities was the Genesis album Selling England By The Pound, from '73. In the summer of '74, just before I joined Rush, I attended one of the shows on that tour (at the Century Theater, Buffalo, New York), and it was simply a galvanising performance, by him and all of that excellent band. The music from that night's show echoed in my head long after, while Phil's vocal performance on 'More Fool Me', was a harbinger of a whole other career to come." [etc.]

Last edited:
Well, the lead singer and likely drummer are dead, one of the guitarists isn't well...

It doesn't look good.

Well, the lead singer and likely drummer are dead, one of the guitarists isn't well...

It doesn't look good.
‘Yeah, it’s always the same,’ said Reg Shoe bitterly. ‘Once you’re dead, people just don’t want to know, right? They act as if you’ve got some horrible disease. Dying can happen to anyone, right?’

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 108:
Martin Axenrot
Martin Lopez

Promoted after Round 108:
Bill Ward
Phil Collins

Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS, NIRVANA)
vs.
Ingo Schwichtenberg (HELLOWEEN)

Carl Palmer (ATOMIC ROOSTER, ELP)
vs.
Danny Carey (TOOL)

Dave Grohl is a great drummer with lots of energy, however, he didn't really bring anything new to the table and is IMO probably more known as a musician in general than just a drummer.

Ingo had a shorter career, but set the blueprint for power metal drumming. He had speed, style, fills, double bass, pretty much everything that power metal drummers copied from him.

For the 2nd pair, I have no prejudice and basically decided on just these two videos.

Considering it's the 70's, Palmer really sounds ahead of his time in that video. Maybe too much wanking in the song, but he shows his chops very well in it. Even the shitty production doesn't hinder it.

Tool's music isn't interesting or energetic enough for Carey's drumming to appeal to me. It's better near the end in this song, but still not enough to beat Palmer.

P. S. Would appreciate some more discussion apart from just posting votes :)

I’m sorry, but could I change my vote? I think I’d like to vote for Danny instead. Not that Palmer isn’t awesome, but if I were to actually love Tool, it would be definitely mainly because of him.

I’m not kidding, I’d vote for him if had the chance.

Back