Be The Producer of Maiden

I'd keep all the ideas that were created at the time of the Fear of the Dark sessions. And make a double album. New songs in dark blue.

01. "Be Quick or Be Dead" Bruce Dickinson, Janick Gers 3:21
02. "From Here to Eternity" Steve Harris 3:35
03. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" Harris 6:52
04. "Man of Sorrows" Dickinson 5:44
05. "Fear Is the Key" Dickinson, Gers 5:30
06. "Beyond the Lighthouse" Dickinson, Dave Murray 7:33
07. "Childhood's End" Harris 4:37
08. "Wasting Love" Dickinson, Gers 5:46
09. "Shadow Walker" Gers, Harris 6:56
10. "The Quatermass Experiment" Dickinson, Harris 8:40

11. "The Fugitive" Harris 4:52
12. "Chains of Misery" Dickinson, Dave Murray 3:33
13. "The Empty House" Gers, Harris 9:02
14. "The Apparition" Harris, Gers 3:53
15. "Judas Be My Guide" Dickinson, Murray 3:06
16. "Spheres" Murray, Gers 2:44
17. "Weekend Warrior" Harris, Gers 5:37
18. "The Strange Door" Murray, Harris 3:59
19. "Fear of the Dark" Harris 7:16
20. "Resurrection of Judas" Dickinson, Murray 15:06
Holy crap are these actual songs left off or just a crack pipe dream?

Holy crap are these actual songs left off or just a crack pipe dream?
Made them up with some subjects Bruce likes mixed in it (Lighthouse/Van der Graaff/Quatermass). Man of Sorrows is really from 1992. The demo.

Nice to know it looked somewhat realistic. :)

Is the production great? No, I don’t think you can say that. Does it fit? Yes. Yes it fucking does. The songs seem more endearing, the drumming is massive, the bass is audible - technically it’s not good, but it works with the material and I love it. I wouldn’t change a single thing on that album since perfection was already attained in 1995.

I'm with you on this one. The sound on that album is far from being perfect and I'm not saying I wouldn't do any minor or major tweaks if I had the change, but the sound definitely fits the mood of the album very well. Similar approach than with FOTD for example would have indeed killed some of it. Again, I'm not saying it's technically strong piece of production, but the overall sound and the feel and colour or whatever of it really fits the record and material very well.

The only major changes I'd make would perhaps be to fix the production of DoD and TFF could have turned out a lot better too, so it's pretty much those two I'd meddle with.

I am too lazy and uninterested to try to think of ways to rearrange preexisting albums. But if I were the producer of the next album I would ask them to come up with just 10 songs of an average 4 minutes in length = 40 minutes total, +/- 2 minutes. If they want a 6+ minute "epic," fine, just make a few other songs a little shorter. If they could discipline themselves to do that, I think they are capable of creating a true masterpiece. It's doable. The original "Iron Maiden" song is only 3.5 minutes long.

I am too lazy and uninterested to try to think of ways to rearrange preexisting albums. But if I were the producer of the next album I would ask them to come up with just 10 songs of an average 4 minutes in length = 40 minutes total, +/- 2 minutes. If they want a 6+ minute "epic," fine, just make a few other songs a little shorter. If they could discipline themselves to do that, I think they are capable of creating a true masterpiece. It's doable. The original "Iron Maiden" song is only 3.5 minutes long.

YES!

Lightning Strikes Twice
Futureal (Bayley, Harris)
Lightning Strikes Twice (Murray, Harris)
When Two Worlds Collide (Bayley, Murray, Harris)
The Clansman (Harris)
The Mercenary (Gers, Harris)
Dream of Mirrors (Bayley, Gers, Harris)
The Educated Fool (Harris)
Como Estais Amigos (Bayley, Gers)

Singles: Futureal and The Clansman. The Clansman single would feature an acoustic version of Como Estais Amigos as a b-side.

I would tell the band to cut The Angel and the Gambler and Don't Look to the Eyes of A Stranger, to be replaced by The Mercenary and Dream of Mirrors, which were saved for Brave New World. And also recommend the band to not record at Steve's home studio, Barnyard Studios. Another change would be to arrange some of the tracks in a lower key, for example Lightning Strikes Twice, When Two Worlds Collide and The Clansman. This would allow Blaze to sound better and less strained.

Agree. Just listening to Blaze doing Lighning a semitone down and it already sounds much cleaner (granted this is 20 years later sure)

A few off the top of my head:
  • I would remove or remix all the vocal harmonies from the reunion albums. Shirley completely destroyed songs like "The Thin Line..." and "Gates Of Tomorrow" with his god-awful "let's do a single take of the lead and harmony lines and slap them both on the album at the same volume" bullshit.
  • I'd take out those awful faster-tempo sections in "Dream Of Mirrors" and "Dance Of Death".
  • I would remix and remaster the last four reunion albums to clean up the horribly muddy production on Dance Of Death, get some more reverb on the drier vocals and guitars, and get more consistent levels on the instruments.
  • I'd put some more reverb on the guitars and vocals on Piece Of Mind.
  • I'd crank up the guitars in the mix across the board while leaving the bass at lead instrument levels.
  • I would change the band name on the Blaze albums to "'Arry and Davey's Iron Maiden Experience"

Interestingly, I think Brave New World is the last album that actually have well done vocal harmonies. Listen to Fallen Angel or The Wicker Man, they do sound planned and mixed in well. But yes, after that they are done far to sloppy, and the obsession of making everything live and so unneccesary. Harmonies on River Runs Depp or Death Or Glory sound like demos.

I'm with you on this one. The sound on that album is far from being perfect and I'm not saying I wouldn't do any minor or major tweaks if I had the change, but the sound definitely fits the mood of the album very well. Similar approach than with FOTD for example would have indeed killed some of it. Again, I'm not saying it's technically strong piece of production, but the overall sound and the feel and colour or whatever of it really fits the record and material very well.
Thank you for explaining it much better than I was able to. :)

The only major changes I'd make would perhaps be to fix the production of DoD and TFF could have turned out a lot better too, so it's pretty much those two I'd meddle with.
Yeah, DOD could use some work. TFF isn’t as bad, I think, as most say it is.

It worked out great for NPFTD so no reason why it couldn't again.

Is the production great? No, I don’t think you can say that. Does it fit? Yes. Yes it fucking does. The songs seem more endearing, the drumming is massive, the bass is audible - technically it’s not good, but it works with the material and I love it. I wouldn’t change a single thing on that album since perfection was already attained in 1995.

The rhythm guitar is non-existent. It doesn't ruin the record, but definitely takes away from its potential.

Okay, let's imagine for a while that I'm the producer and (possibly via shady means like locking them all up and depraving them of food the Beefheart way) I have absolute control over the band, in order to make a great album:

- First everyone who wants a credit should write some song by himself beforehand - try to have at least two or three songs written even if you don't want a credit; it can hardly hurt to practice in that regard. At least don't write in the studio.
- No "internal influences" - okay, one song might get an 'Arry co-write and have acoustic intro/outro, but not more.
- About only a third of the songs is gonna be recorded, so if we aimed for an album with, say, 10 songs, about 30 must be written to choose from, to get at least some form of quality control.
- Encouragement of shorter songs, but very carefully - no pro-forma shite like Gates of Tomorrow or Death or Glory, more like Rainmaker.
- Quality control of the lyrics - not being afraid to tell them to do better.
- If Bruce wants to write lyrics, oh, by all means yes, if he's willing to provide at least Powerslave-like quality, not otherwise.
- Encouragement of experimental tracks (like Isle of Avalon or the Legacy) but again - only using those if they're really good. Not being afraid of acoustic guitars or pianos or Hammonds... if it worked with the song. More cowbell ( :ninja: )
- Even as a prog fan - some serious trimming down - if they want to write a (pseudo-)"prog epic", then a prog epic it must be, not just endless repeats and bloated running time.
- Encouragement of the Amigos to write the best riffs they can come up with, possibly increasing the presence of guitars in general.
- Everything that is written and chosen for recording will be then thoroughly rehearsed, for a month at least, so they could play it in their sleep. Couldn't hurt to force them to rehearse meticulously even the older stuff and possibly some covers as well, just to really get into it.
- Keeping some of the outtakes as B-Sides. Also, some Lizzy covers, possibly?
- Keeping 'Arry as far from the producing and mixing as possible.
- Leaving the mixing to someone who knows what he's doing and solemnly swears to have no brickwalling, no clipping and a good dynamic range. Not for the audiophiles, but just for the albums to be listenable. No Californication or What's the Story Morning Glory.

In my book the album ripest for remixing or some serious work done is DoD. It's actually a pretty good album, but the sound quality is horrendous. When I'm listening to it in me earphones, my ears virtually bleed.

The album ripest for re-recording altogether would be TFF - not the rest, but re-recording Bruce's vocals would make the album three times as good, take my word for it.

I would tell Steve that his ideas on "live sound" and "live recording" and "live mixing that sounds great in his bloody car" are not needed in my studio. Then I would tell the band they will be tracking all the instruments and vocals properly so that I could mix the damn thing similarly to Brave New World. I would do this for the previous 4 reunion albums as well as The X Factor and Virtual XI.

Okay, let's imagine for a while that I'm the producer and (possibly via shady means like locking them all up and depraving them of food the Beefheart way) I have absolute control over the band, in order to make a great album:

- First everyone who wants a credit should write some song by himself beforehand - try to have at least two or three songs written even if you don't want a credit; it can hardly hurt to practice in that regard. At least don't write in the studio.
- No "internal influences" - okay, one song might get an 'Arry co-write and have acoustic intro/outro, but not more.
- About only a third of the songs is gonna be recorded, so if we aimed for an album with, say, 10 songs, about 30 must be written to choose from, to get at least some form of quality control.
- Encouragement of shorter songs, but very carefully - no pro-forma shite like Gates of Tomorrow or Death or Glory, more like Rainmaker.
- If Bruce wants to write lyrics, oh, by all means yes, if he's willing to provide at least Powerslave-like quality, not otherwise.
- Encouragement of experimental tracks (like Isle of Avalon or the Legacy) but again - only using those if they're really good. Not being afraid of acoustic guitars or pianos or Hammonds... if it worked with the song. More cowbell ( :ninja: )
- Even as a prog fan - some serious trimming down - if they want to write a (pseudo-)"prog epic", then a prog epic it must be, not just endless repeats and bloated running time.
- Encouragement of the Amigos to write the best riffs they can come up with, possibly increasing the presence of guitars in general.
- Everything that is written and chosen for recording will be then thoroughly rehearsed, for a month at least, so they could play it in their sleep. Couldn't hurt to force them to rehearse meticulously even the older stuff and possibly some covers as well, just to really get into it.
- Leaving the mixing to someone who knows what he's doing and solemnly swears to have no brickwalling, no clipping and a good dynamic range. Not for the audiophiles, but just for the albums to be listenable. No Californication or What's the Story Morning Glory.

In my book the album ripest for remixing or some serious work done is DoD. It's actually a pretty good album, but the sound quality is horrendous. When I'm listening to it in me earphones, my ears virtually bleed.

The album ripest for re-recording altogether would be TFF - not the rest, but re-recording Bruce's vocals would make the album three times as good, take my word for it.

I think you may are take it slightly to far, but yes I agree with you! The rule to write more songs then needed is absoloutley something that would improve the quality, and something that people tend to forget. For every 10 songs that make the album there is usually at least 10 more that didn't. That doesn't even mean those songs are bad, they are just not right for that release for one reason or another.

I would also tell Steve in 1989 that using the same producer and same equipment as Deep Purple on Machine Head doesn't automatically make an album you make with them an all time classic.

Stalin !

;)

Back