Basketball

The link contained therein with a report on the assault case makes for some disturbing reading.

Either way, RIP to a great basketball player.

RIP to Robert Archibald too.

Aaron Gordon was robbed in the dunk contest yet again.
... and after Aaron Gordon being robbed in the dunk contest I find myself wandering how on earth did the All Star game MVP Kobe award wasn't given to Chris Paul and instead delivered to a guy that, from minute 32 onwards, did nothing but 2 points, 2 assists and 1 rebound.

Now that the season is (rightfully so) interrupted why don't we make our top 3 NBA teams
Notice I'll only take in account players I've seen playing.

Team A:
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
FW: Larry Bird
FW: LeBron James
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Team B:
PG: Isiah Thomas
SG: Kobe Bryant
FW: Scottie Pippen
FW: Tim Duncan
C: Shaquille O'Neal

Team C:
PG: John Stockton
SG: Dwyane Wade
FW: Kevin Durant
FW: Charles Barkley
C: Hakeem Olajwon

Oscar Robertson was way before when I started to see ball (1987). Taken from what I saw in Youtube and recordings he was an utterly complete backcourt player and a human Swiss knife. But if I had to feature players before my time I would at least have to feature Wilt (perhaps even stealing Kareem's place at the 1st team) Russel and West. Those 3 guys were ridiculous (especially Wilt).
As for Curry he's a borderline contender because of his shot and the way teams have to defend him so close thus creating way more space. Perhaps would get Stockton's place in the 3rd team (although Stockton is a record holding machine)... don't know... it's a close call.

I think I'd take Nash over Isiah, actually. Isiah was a big-time player in big games, but I think he gets a bit too much credit for the successes of the Bad Boys Pistons. Chauncey Billups on the '04 Pistons was in a very similar position, best offensive player in an elite defensive team with no superstars, but he doesn't get similar acclaim.

I think I'd take Nash over Isiah, actually. Isiah was a big-time player in big games, but I think he gets a bit too much credit for the successes of the Bad Boys Pistons. Chauncey Billups on the '04 Pistons was in a very similar position, best offensive player in an elite defensive team with no superstars, but he doesn't get similar acclaim.
While the 2004 had Big Ben and all the boys forming a tight as nails defense, Billups had almost the same production as Hamilton and sometimes Wallace regarding the attacking process. And if it's true the two time champions Pistons from the bad boys (Dummars, Rodman but mostly Laimbeer) were even more physical (because ejections by cumulative flagrants only came to effect in 90/91) fact is in the attacking process a 6.1 Isiah Thomas was averaging on that two year run almost 18 pts and more than 9 assists, being by far the main piece of the Pistons' attack. That in the violent 80's was unheard of. Never before a small player dominated as much as this guy did. Isiah is my solid #2 pick as a PG. The only defects I can find in his career are the relationships with others on and off the court. Basketball wise this dude is off the charts and Billups while being a good player doesn't belong in the same category.

I'd go for an all time scoring team

PG : Allen Iverson
SG : Michael Jordan
SF : Kevin Durant
PF : Lebron James
C : SHAQ or Hakeem

I don't follow local basketball much, it's in decline for decades...good for the Netherlands tho.

Well things are not what they used to be :|
And as far as current trends are considered, it won't be getting better.

We don't invest in basketball as we've used to, it's not about the clubs and national teams, it's about having 4-5 free public basketball courts per neighborhood so kids can grow. We don't have that anymore.

Back