Arjen Anthony Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One etc.)

Apparently Arjen is done with Russell Allen. He was supposed to perform at the Ayreon Universe show last year but cancelled. I thought it was because of the van accident he was in, but he cancelled before it happened and Arjen said on FB that they will never work together again.

Which is a shame because he sounded better on Arjen's albums than in Symphony X in the past decade and more.

Apparently Arjen is done with Russell Allen. He was supposed to perform at the Ayreon Universe show last year but cancelled. I thought it was because of the van accident he was in, but he cancelled before it happened and Arjen said on FB that they will never work together again.

Which is a shame because he sounded better on Arjen's albums than in Symphony X in the past decade and more.

Damn. Do you have a source? I’d like to read this and better understand why. Russell has always sounded great with Arjen.

Just random comments he left on Ayreon's FB page. Arjen, that is, who controls the account. I read about it on Reddit and on Dream Theater forum. No one knows what happened exactly.

One of the comments:

T94NudV.jpg

Well, that sucks. So no more Star One then.

Maybe there’s some money issues along with personal reasons to

Arjen also said in a few interviews that if he were to do another Star One album, it'd be with different singers anyway. Fine with me, although I'd really like him to work with Dan Swano again. Changing singers every time is what makes Ayreon unique. Avantasia used to be like that too, before Tobi decided to use same singers almost every time.

Epica duo guest appearance here! :D And both of them will also perform next year with Ayreon.

I wish I got into Ayreon a bit earlier, I definitely would've tried to go see the next year's shows which are sadly sold out by now. Even if I haven't even heard Into The Electric Castle yet. But Arjen said they'll make it a yearly thing. It'd be a perfect opportunity to do Universal Migrator shows in 2020, for the twentieth anniversary.

Arjen also said in a few interviews that if he were to do another Star One album, it'd be with different singers anyway. Fine with me, although I'd really like him to work with Dan Swano again. Changing singers every time is what makes Ayreon unique
I’m expecting new singers and musicians for every Ayreon album, but Star One is/was the same singers in my opinion. But the bonus disc for the last albums had different singers, it felt a bit too much Ayreon-ish for my taste.

But I’m sure Arjen can make another awesome Star one album if he decides to do one

Watching The Theater Equation. The only complaint I have is them replacing Mikael Akerfeldt with Anneke... She butchered most of her lines. Not her fault though, apart from being different genders, they have really different styles, plus she can't growl. Horrible miscast.

Album will be released in September. Arjen finished recording everything way before the pandemic. Cover coming out next week. Double album, as usual. Arjen will start posting teasers of the singers next week.

It'll be less power metal, and metal in general than The Source. Fine with me - some power metalish songs were awful (Run! Apocalypse! Run!, for example).

No Floor, Anneke, Damian Wilson or Roy Khan. First album since The Dream Sequencer without Ed Warby on drums, because it wasn't meant to be an Ayreon album when Arjen started recording it.

Likely - Mike Mills and Dianne van Giersbergen.

Back