anyone know some good acoustic music?

i recently picked up a copy of accident of birth by bruce and i must say that i love it! especially the melancholy, acoustic/semi-acoustic tracks such as 'man of sorrows', 'omega', and 'arc of space'

does anyone know some artists/bands that play sort of dark/melancholy acoustic songs in the vein of those tracks i just mentioned? i mean they dont have to be exactly like what bruce does, it doesnt even have to be metal. but i really like those kinds of songs, so if anyone knows more of em then please let me know!

oh and i already have blackwater park from opeth so dont try suggesting that...i like it but thats just kind of a little too dark and not really so much melancholy..at least in terms of the guitar (opeth does really weird melodies)

i should mention that im looking for acoustic stuff from bands besides maiden/bruce, and im looking for bands that play music like this, not just individual songs from bands that arent otherwise acoustic

Try Balls To Picasso by Bruce just for the last track, Tears Of The Dragon. Its a wonderfully constructed song that deals with his departure from Maiden, full of emotion. The video is a little cheesy, but its a great song:[a href=\'http://www.screamforme.com/media/totd.asp\' target=\'_blank\']Tears Of The Dragon Video[/a]

Journeyman is a great song from some obscure band nobody has heard of. I think that same band also did a little known piece called Prodigal Son that is semi-acoustic.

I would reccomend you Blackfield. It's a band with a single album, called Blackfield. It's mostly acoustic, and very very melancholic. Also, some of Porcupine Trees' songs are acoustic and very melancholic, like A smart Kid, Stop Swimming, Waiting, Prodigal, Collapse the light into Earth...

Gordon Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen, Simon And Garfunkel, Cat Stevens... or are you strictly looking for "Metal Ballads"?

[!--QuoteBegin-runningfree+Jan 22 2006, 08:05 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(runningfree @ Jan 22 2006, 08:05 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] it doesnt even have to be metal

[snapback]127456[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think that answers your question...

hmm...well i tried listening to some blackfield and porcupine trees the other day...theyre ok...but i guess it just wasnt exactly what i was looking for...

maybe i was looking for some acoustic metal/metal ballads after all...

i dunno..but can anyone suggest some good ones?? (NOT maiden, and NO hair metal please...some not-as-well-known bands would be nice since there is a good chance i have heard the stuff from the more popular ones...)

thanks

Well Mr. Runningfree,

If you like those acoustic tracks from Accident of Birth, check out The Chemical Wedding. Jerusalem (which has an acoustic intro) is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs. Check out Tears of the Dragon also, which is a great, great song that is mostly acoustic, but has one of the sweetest solos in the middle from Roy Z.

Not exactly acoustic, but there is an Irish "celtic metal" band called Cruachan (my signature) that does fusion with traditional instruments like fiddles and stuff. Try listening to "The Middle kingdom", you will see what i mean with the fusion, there are heavy guitars and what sounds like recorders (!) doing melodies.

Im not sure if its quite what youre looking for, but Michael Kiske has some songs with a bit of acoustic on his solo albums.

DragonForce has a bit of acoustic on "Dawn Over A New World"

Ive also heard a few HammerFall songs with acoustic in them.

Iam, strictly speaking, not a massive acoustics fan, but I do rather like the solo works of Paul Weller. If you decide to look into this further, Stanley Road is, in my opinion, his most impressive album.

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Jan 30 2006, 01:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Jan 30 2006, 01:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For amazing acoustic music, try Neil Young's 'Harvest' album. Really good stuff.
[snapback]128094[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with this too. I have Harvest, as well as Prairie Wind and On The Beach, and my Dad has Freedom, although I don't think that one's too good.

Jeff Buckley would be my first recommendation. Not really 'acoustic' but clean electrics and amazing musicianship. One of my all-time favorite guitar players.

Others:
Nick Drake
John Butler Trio (Not exactly "melancholy", but everyone should hear him nonetheless!)
Jack Johnson

I still think Leonard Cohen is very likely something for Metal fans.

Back