Anybody knows what guitar strings H and Dave play?

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
I think I once heard H was using Ernie Ball strings, could someone confirm that? What about Davey? And do they play 9 to 46?
When I bought the Dave Murray Fender Stratocaster, I was surprised that it was fitted 9 - 11 - 16 - 24 - 32 - 42 by Fender. A very unusual factory setup, and I was wondering if this is really Daves texture.

Not interested in Janicks string collection?
Not really. Also I'm not interested in his guitars in common, he plays shabby strats and they look all terrible. Unfortunately i couldn't find the thread with the info on H's or Dave's strings yet... Any link maybe?

I think I once heard H was using Ernie Ball strings, could someone confirm that? What about Davey? And do they play 9 to 46?
When I bought the Dave Murray Fender Stratocaster, I was surprised that it was fitted 9 - 11 - 16 - 24 - 32 - 42 by Fender. A very unusual factory setup, and I was wondering if this is really Daves texture.

Unusual? That's they way Fenders are always strung from factory... Everyone plays 9-42.

9-42 has been the standard set on 25,5'' guitars since forever. Fender has used that for at the least 20 years on all their modern guitars. For vintage spec series it has been 10-46. You will find all Fenders which are not vintage spec at 25,5'' ship with 9-42, like this American Professional Strat:

A 9-46 set is a mixed set, "super light top, regular bottom" according to the string manufacturers. Non standard!

Personally, I use 9-42 as 99% of my guitars came with or 8-38.

9-42 is absolutely standard, especially for most metal/shredding guitars. 10-46 is probably equally common, don't think I've ever seen a 9-46 set as standard. Even Adrian's Jackson has 9-42 as standard, despite him using 9-46.

9-42 is absolutely standard, especially for most metal/shredding guitars. 10-46 is probably equally common, don't think I've ever seen a 9-46 set as standard. Even Adrian's Jackson has 9-42 as standard, despite him using 9-46.
My Adrian's Jackson Dinky US Signature had 9-46 on it when I got it three years ago.

I actually thought 9-46 was the standard as my guitar came with that set of strings.

Personally, I use 9-42 as 99% of my guitars came with or 8-38.

8-38!? Don't these go out of tune easily? I'm using a set of 10-54 myself, but I'm going back to 10-52 with the next string change. I mostly downtune a half-step.

I'm using a set of 10-54 myself, but I'm going back to 10-52 with the next string change. I mostly downtune a half-step.
One of my guitars is permanent tuned down a whole step, and with that one I only use Ernie Ball Slinky Top Heavy Bottom 10-13-17-30-42-52, and that works absolutely great. It's the perfect set of strings for riffing, leads and soloing when tuned down IMHO.

8-38!? Don't these go out of tune easily? I'm using a set of 10-54 myself, but I'm going back to 10-52 with the next string change. I mostly downtune a half-step.

Not really. It's like using 9-42 on a Les Paul or SG which I do all the time. My Yamaha SG (24,75") came with 9-42 from the factory. I don't downtune with that though, but it works fine in standard tuning on a Strat.

Have tried 10-46 on a Strat downtuned but I don't really see the point. It doesn't improve the tone or sustain and it makes it harder to control the vibrato and bends. I'd rather spare my fingers, and play guitar as I get older as well.

For reference, a lot of pro's are using light strings - especially on the top. Malmsteen uses 8-46 half a step down, Billy Gibbons is known for using 0.007'' on the high E, and Iommi downtuned with 8's...

Play with a lighter touch and it sounds great. Much more control over your technique.

Last edited:
Back