Any chance of these occurring ?

bornless1

Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.
1: Will "Book of Souls" feature an instrumental? ( if so, which track may it be)....

2: Will "Book of Souls" album be played in its entirety on tour? (ala A Matter of Life and Death.)

No to both. I'm pretty sure they're done with instrumentals. They meant to have lyrics on the last one but there was a problem with loss for words. (and possibly big horrors.) Heck, Steve didn't even want to work on improving Satellite 15.

A double album is too long to play in full. Maiden concerts usually run about 100 minutes, so there's time for the album, Iron Maiden and one encore song. I don't see that happening.

I think it is high time for an instrumental Maiden jam. I give it a 40% shot considering the amount of tracks. Tears of a clown gets the nod.

Although it would be epic as hell, and I loved the AMOLAD full album presentation on tour, BOOK' is too long for this . I'm seeing 6 tracks played live tops....

Let's see. Maiden only have 4 instrumentals tracks, most recent one being in 1984.

Transylvania was meant to feature lyrics, they ditched the lyrics.
The Ides of March was just an intro.
Genghis Khan wasn't written as an instrumental either, Steve just felt a vocal melody wasn't necessary.
Losfer Words, as the name suggests, also was meant to have lyrics.

So no, an instrumental is not happening.

It seems like they just throw instrumental bits into the long epics these days, which is a much better way of doing it IMO. The early instrumentals were fine but nothing too special, I'm glad they don't do them anymore.

If they did a double set, they could probably play the whole album, and a few older songs as well.

I don't think a whole track is happening, but with so many long songs coming I could see a long acoustic section somewhere. That 18-minute closing epic in particular is a good candidate.

I don't think a whole track is happening, but with so many long songs coming I could see a long acoustic section somewhere. That 18-minute closing epic in particular is a good candidate.
That's what I was thinking about. Probably at the start or as a prolonged part such as in Mariner only as an acoustic part

I was thinking about the possibility of them playing the Empire Of The Clouds live and after checking, the only songs they didn't play live that are the longest songs on their respective albums are Prodigal Son, Alexander and Mother Russia. However, they also played every single title track of an album live, and since that one is also longer than 10 minutes, then the chances of them playing both live are pretty low.

Don't let your head down, Empire actually is only 6 minutes long, fades out and comes back at 15:22 with nicko telling jokes til the end.

So there might be a chance

I think we're pretty much guaranteed the title track. The big Harris epic almost always gets played.

Edit: Sorry meant The Red and the Black. However the Gers/Harris epic seems like a safe bet as well. :D

I was thinking about the possibility of them playing the Empire Of The Clouds live and after checking, the only songs they didn't play live that are the longest songs on their respective albums are Prodigal Son, Alexander and Mother Russia. However, they also played every single title track of an album live, and since that one is also longer than 10 minutes, then the chances of them playing both live are pretty low.

Maybe. Then again, considering the fact that it is the band's longest song ever, they might feel compelled to play it live too. I'm still shocked that this came from Bruce and not Steve, since Steve's the one who probably spent a lot of time listening to "Supper's Ready" by Genesis back during the 70's.

Steve's the one who probably spent a lot of time listening to "Supper's Ready" by Genesis back during the 70's.

Steve already got that monkey off his back when he wrote Sign of the Cross.

As for Bruce, he's known to be a Tull fan, and I could see something like A Passion Play influencing him.

Yep, that's a 45-minute song.

Act 1 - Ronnie Pilgrim's funeral - a winter's morning in the cemetery.

I. "Lifebeats" (instrumental) -- 00:00
II. "Prelude" (instrumental) -- 01:14
III. "The Silver Cord" -- 3:26
IV. "Re-Assuring Tune" (instrumental) -- 7:53

Act 2 - The Memory Bank - a small but comfortable theatre with a cinema-screen (the next morning).

V. "Memory Bank" -- 9:04
VI. "Best Friends" -- 13:24
VII. "Critique Oblique" -- 15:22
VIII. "Forest Dance #1" (instrumental) -- 20:00

Interlude - The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles.

IX. "The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles" -- 21:35

Act 3 - The business office of G. Oddie & Son (two days later).

X. "Forest Dance #2" (instrumental) -- 25:55
XI. "The Foot of Our Stairs" -- 27:07
XII. "Overseer Overture" -- 31:25

Act 4 - Magus Perdé's drawing room at midnight.

XIII. "Flight from Lucifer" -- 35:24
XIV. "10;08 to Paddington" (instrumental) -- 39:22
XV. "Magus Perdé" -- 40:26
XVI. "Epilogue" -- 44:21

Let's see. Maiden only have 4 instrumentals tracks, most recent one being in 1984.

Transylvania was meant to feature lyrics, they ditched the lyrics.
The Ides of March was just an intro.
Genghis Khan wasn't written as an instrumental either, Steve just felt a vocal melody wasn't necessary.
Losfer Words, as the name suggests, also was meant to have lyrics.
However they were written or meant, they turned our as instrumentals.
So no, an instrumental is not happening.
I don't think I follow the reasoning here. "Things happened in the past, so not anymore."

It's been ages since they've done an instrumental and when they were done, they weren't even meant to be instrumentals. I'd be more shocked to see an instrumental on the album than to see a song about rainbows and unicorns.

Agreed that it was ages ago, so it's not likely. Still:
Not needing vocals doesn't mean that it was not meant as an instrumental, nor does it per se mean that it was meant as such. The band had some music ready, and afterwards it was decided if it would be instrumental or not.

More important:
You've pointed at the whole unpredictability of this issue. As you described, most songs that turned out as instrumentals (if not all) were not meant as instrumentals (in advance). In some cases, the whole thing started with music, but it did't have to be decided in advance if it had to be an instrumental. It was decided later. This is a natural process that probably more bands have.

So, because it's not clear in advance if a song will turn into an instrumental, there's always a chance that it can happen again. Unless they have deliberately decided that they don't want instrumental songs. If there is excellent instrumental material, it can be used in a long song, as Mosh pointed out.

Back