Any Bob Dylan Fans?

pilau

Nomad
I was wondering if any of you can recommend on a good Dylan compilation to start from. Thanks ;)

The Essential Bob Dylan should be your first choice, because it does not only concentrate on the early 60's, guitar/harmonica folk hero and the controversial electric rock star, but goes straight to 2000 and has a fairly good collection of his most famous hits. Obviously, some of his best songs are missing, but there's always only so much space on two CDs.

You could also check out MTV Unplugged which is a live album with the master in top form. As the title says, it's completely acoustic, so it does not do justice to the many facets of his long career - but then, nothing does.

I'd say if you get both those albums, you've got a pretty good gear to start with. :)

I love Bob Dylan, my first son is called Dylan (Janick and H both have sons called this), who, incidently was born on the day that Death on the road was filmed, i blame it on my dad!

Don't bother with compilations, go straight to the source:

Blonde on Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
Bringing it all Back Home

Those are only from his initial phase. There is much more to him than the messiah with acoustic guitar and harmonica.

Habberdasher said:
Don't bother with compilations, go straight to the source:

Blonde on Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
Bringing it all Back Home

The Great three  :) -Also 'Desire' is a killer, try it !

Perun said:
Those are only from his initial phase. There is much more to him than the messiah with acoustic guitar and harmonica.

Perun is right here, from the latest albums 'Modern Times' is a nice to start with

Speaking of Messiah, Dylan did in one point (around '76 I think) became a born again Christian and wrote Gotta Serve Somebody
-you can find it in the very good 'Slow Train Coming'

---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfXHi1oqEY

John Lennon replied with the song 'Serve Yourself'  :bigsmile:

----->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfXHi1oqEY

-----
EDIT : Dylan Compilation ?? It would be a 6-CD box to have them all, so start from these 6 mentioned better
The ultimate though, Dylan's Beast or Puppets if you like, is Highway 61 Revisited don't miss it, is a must  ;)

Ballad of a thin man (from the above) ---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYlhw3g4P8  :notworthy:

51JE05GZXCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The 3 I suggested were all from a 16 month period when Bob was popping amphetamines with Johnny Cash. His most famous stuff and analagous to Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave.

Later stuff like Desire (as mentioned) is excellent, as is Blood on the Tracks ('74, I think). I'd ignore the born-again and the rest of the 80s stuff (this is best represented in a compilation album). Time Out of Mind (from 97) is also quite good, consider it his Brave New World (Modern Times would then be Dance of Death). His new one is pretty weak though so we can't compare it to AMOLAD!

Hey Habberdasher  :)

Are you aware of 'Good as I Been to You' (1992 -covers) album ?? How do you find it ?

Not familiar with that one. Some of Dylan's catalog I find to be some of the best songs ever written, while other eras completely turn me off (i.e., Dylan and the Dead).

Conversely I would recommend the "I'm Not There" Soundtrack. Check the bands to see if you like any, but the covers of 'Stuck Inside of Mobile..." by Cat Power, "Man in the Long Black Coat" by Mark Lanegan and "Cold IRONs Bound" by Tom Verlaine are pretty awesome. Also it includes the title track by Bob Dylan.

Back