Anthrax

2Mins

Educated Fool
I kept meaning to open an Anthrax thread, with discussion points like:
1. Chile on Hell. Awesome live dvd and they throw in the double CD set too! That's being good to your fans (Maiden take note).
2. Worship Music is the best album by any of the Big Four since 1990.
3. I've seen them support some of my favourite bands (Maiden, Motorhead), and every time they've come out on top. They're a band that reach out for your attention, and every gig they perform like you would if you could be up there.

But then I just noticed on anthrax.com that, next Spring, they're going out on tour in the States supporting Volbeat! And it just made me sad. What is wrong with the metal-loving public?!

I would love to go bananas about Anthrax, because I used to love them, but I disagree with all of your points except that they are (/used to be) very good live.

Supporting Volbeat makes sense currently, since Volbeat is vastly more popular. It is sad, though.

On the topic of Volbeat, I really don't care for them at all. They're a perfectly mediocre band from what I've heard of them. The Pokemon of the same name is more memorable.

On the topic of Anthrax, I think Among The Living is seriously on the same level as stuff like Rust In Peace and Painkiller. Outstanding album.

No-one shares my love of Worship Music then? The riffs, the drumming, the actual, proper songs?! With big choruses and proper singing and everything! It's a beautiful, brutal work of art that album. Hoping they'll manage to get the next one out by early next year too.

Glad you both agree about Volbeat. It would be like Black Sabbath supporting Bon Jovi.

Volbeat is certainly mediocre at best. The lead singer sounds like James Hetfield singing through a Brian Setzer/Elvis Presley autotune machine.

As far as Worship Music goes...a few of the songs actually surprised me. I'm Alive and In the End are amazing songs. However, the rest of the album feels either misdirected, misguided, or forgettable. Joey's voice does suit a good number of the songs.

I am a John Bush fan through and through and I vastly prefer him in Anthrax to Joey (despite Volume 8 being mostly terrible). Joey had his time and place, and they recorded 1 or 2 classic albums with him, but his voice is so thin and dated that I can barely listen to it anymore. I wish Anthrax had continued to move forward instead of choking on their own egos and trying to recapture past glory.

The last album had a few great songs (Devil You Know, I'm Alive, In the End), but otherwise it was very meh for me.

I got into this band at the very wrong time, back around 2000-2001: John Bush is killing it, lead singer circle-jerk based on a double-vocalist reunion tour w/ John and Joey that fell through, We've Come For You All comes out and is amazing, Frank leaves, Joey Vera replaces him, John and Vera leave the band, Joey comes back, Joey leaves, more farting around, Dan Nelson joins the band, Dan Nelson is fired, John Bush comes back and plans to sing on the album, John Bush quits, Joey comes back.....UGH. The lead singer circle-jerk literally stole all of my enthusiasm for this band. I think Worship Music would have sounded vastly better with Bush's (far superior) voice.

Almost the opposite for me. I dropped out of metal from the early '90s to early/mid '00s, and only got back into Anthrax with Worship Music. So I missed all the pissing about with singers. From my point of view, they went: Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, State of Euphoria, Persistence of Time, Worship Music. That's a great run of albums!

Maybe I really need to give volbeat a good listen, but the few songs I heard, I just didn't care for. I'll be skipping this tour.

Maybe I really need to give volbeat a good listen, but the few songs I heard, I just didn't care for. I'll be skipping this tour.

Volbeat is interesting...the music is decent, but the mix has the vocals pushed so far to the front of the mix that it takes all of the "metal" out of the band. Plus, the lead singer sounds like James Hetfield in a rockabilly band.

I think the vocals are the one saving grace in an otherwise generic alt metal band. It's a bit Elvis Presley meets James Hetfield but I think it's kinda interesting. I'd probably get tired of it quickly though and the music is insanely boring.

The last album had a few great songs (Devil You Know, I'm Alive, In the End), but otherwise it was very meh for me.

I got into this band at the very wrong time, back around 2000-2001: John Bush is killing it, lead singer circle-jerk based on a double-vocalist reunion tour w/ John and Joey that fell through, We've Come For You All comes out and is amazing, Frank leaves, Joey Vera replaces him, John and Vera leave the band, Joey comes back, Joey leaves, more farting around, Dan Nelson joins the band, Dan Nelson is fired, John Bush comes back and plans to sing on the album, John Bush quits, Joey comes back.....UGH. The lead singer circle-jerk literally stole all of my enthusiasm for this band. I think Worship Music would have sounded vastly better with Bush's (far superior) voice.

I have to agree with this completely. I did enjoy Worship Music though.

Anthrax have been announced as the special guests at the 25th anniversary gig of the Cathouse Rock Club in Glasgow.

The band will play the 750 capacity venue on Thursday 26th November, just one day after supporting Slayer at the O2 Academy on the south of the river.

Tickets for the Cathouse gig, priced at £25 plus fees, go on sale on Saturday morning at 9:00am.

Source: http://www.metaltalk.net/news2015sg/2015283.php

Last edited:
Anthrax have been announced as the special guests at the 25th anniversary gig of the Cathouse Rock Club in Glasgow.

The band will play the 750 capacity venue on Thursday 26th September, just one day after supporting Slayer at the O2 Academy on the south of the river.

Tickets for the Cathouse gig, priced at £25 plus fees, go on sale on Saturday morning at 9:00am.

Source: http://www.metaltalk.net/news2015sg/2015283.php
Do you mean Saturday 26th?

EDIT: No, you mean 26th November! :ok:

Back