Anime & Manga

A

Anonymous

I'm a huge fan of anime like Naruto, Azumanga Daioh, Hunter x Hunter and Jubei-chan. So I was wondering does anyone here like Japanese anime or manga?

Eddie as a ninja, now that would be great! [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

yeah im into manga, when i stayed in Canada i got shonen jump over there. it was good. I still buy manga from the comic book store in town. My favourite being Ranma 1/2. I also like Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto and Shaman King.

I'm with LooseCannon.. Although I've never heard of Astro Boy. I like fantasy art though!

Astro Boy is a cartoon from my childhood, it's like...well, I can't explain it.

Astro Boy is a spikey-haired robot kid who flies around with red rocket boots...

Don't let my lousy explanation sour you... Astro Boy kicks fucking ass. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anime sucks sweaty donkey balls. It's completely worthless mind-numbing crap. The few times I've accidentally stumbled acrross it on TV, I've been bored to tears within 20 seconds. Terrible writing, terrible animation, terrible music, terrible everything. I can't understand what anyone sees in it. If I'm gonna watch cartoons, gimme Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Sealab 2021 or Family Guy!

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Apr 9 2004, 10:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Apr 9 2004, 10:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Family Guy! [/quote]
yup! family guy is good, even if it is fairly poor animation. Its funny! i woke this morning to my brother watching one of my family guy dvds in my room! i was like what the hell are you doing!? i didnt mind, tis good. I also like Futurama

[!--QuoteBegin-the_Clairvoyant1337+Apr 9 2004, 04:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(the_Clairvoyant1337 @ Apr 9 2004, 04:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] should I cehck them out? [/quote]
Yu Yu hakusho is a great manga! worth getting however ive only read the ones from shonen jump, not got the proper graphic novels.

Please don’t bump nearly 20 year old threads unless you have something relevant to add.

I do read a lot of manga - the last series I finished was Demon Slayer.
Cool! I watched the anime adaptation of it in June. Good stuff.
I've ordered a lot of manga in the past couple of months, including the last 20 volumes (that didn't get animated) of Bleach, the original Full Metal Panic, the first 10 volumes of Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and entirety of The Cain Saga/God Child. I'll probably buy physical copies of some of the manga that I pirated, lol. At least Black Butler and Pandora Hearts.

As for anime, I'm currently watching Naruto, Black Clover and Neuro: The Supernatural Detective. My plan to watch-list currently has around 140 shows in it, so I'll be spending a while with this hobby.

Why, the only anime (and manga) that I genuinely appreciated was Death Note, but from what I've heard and seen, it's not a particularly typical work of the genre. And what I liked about it was probably more despite any anime trappings I came across.

Tried out Neon Genesis Evangelion and although I understand what they were probably going for (at least I guess), it's not my style. Gave it up halfway through, cause I just couldn't stand how actually boring it was (though the theme song is absolutely awesome! So is both the opening and the closing one to Death Note, actually).

A friend of mine forced us to watch Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade and Adolescence of Utena, but I was definitely not a fan. The former I at least respected somehow, though I found it kinda boring (again) and annoying (what would Vertigo look like if you made it in Japan and Jimmy Stewart was not misguided and tortured soul, but a regular asshole?), but I hated the latter with a passion (especially the Nietzchean apologetics it tries to get into and all the surrealist psychotic-off-his-pills nonsensical symbolism and general unpleasant weirdness).

Wife tried to read Bleach, but I remember her not being really into it.

The most anime-like experience I genuinely enjoyed apart from DN were both installments of Ori I played in these past few months. And sure the developers themselves admit they were influenced a lot by Hayao Miyazaki (whom I've yet to discover), so I think it's fair to put it here.

I would like to at least try Miyazaki, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Code Geass, Attack on Titan and especially Haibane Renmei and Cowboy Bebop ... but I honestly don't know when, 'cause like I said, I haven't really liked the stuff I came across so far.

Also what doesn't help is the particular friend mentioned above - unfortunately he's a huge anime fan and quite a typical one at that. And having obscure anime references / analyses in pretty much every e-mail he sends tends to wear you off a lot.

Last edited:
Why, the only anime (and manga) that I genuinely appreciated was Death Note, but from what I've heard and seen, it's not a particularly typical work of the genre. And what I liked about it was probably more despite any anime trappings I came across.

Tried out Neon Genesis Evangelion and although I understand what they were probably going for (at least I guess), it's not my style. Gave it up halfway through. A friend of mine forced us to watch Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade and Adolescence of Utena, but I was definitely not a fan. The former I at least respected somehow, though I found it kinda boring and annoying (what would Vertigo look like if you made it in Japan and Jimmy Stewart was not misguided and tortured soul, but a regular asshole?), but I hated the latter with a passion (especially the Nietzchean apologetics it tries to get into).

The most anime-like experience I genuinely enjoyed were both installments of Ori I played in these past few months. And sure the developers themselves admit they were influenced a lot by Hayao Miyazaki (whom I've yet to discover), so I think it's fair to put it here.

I would like to at least try Miyazaki, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Code Geass, Attack on Titan and especially Haibane Renmei and Cowboy Bebop ... but I honestly don't know when, 'cause like I said, I haven't really liked the stuff I came across so far.

Also what doesn't help is the particular friend mentioned above - unfortunately he's a huge anime fan and quite a typical one at that. And having obscure anime references / analyses in pretty much every e-mail he sends tends to wear you off a lot.
Death Note is just fantastic. Probably my third favorite show after Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter (2011). There are definitely a lot of shows that are in some ways similar to Death Note but most of them don't come close to its quality. One of those that manage to do it is Code Geass, so check that one out. Attack on Titan is visually amazing but to me it has always been a bit overrated. Cowboy Bebop is a must see as well, although I wouldn't put it in my top 20.

Last but not least, Steins;Gate and Naoki Urasawa's Monster are pieces of art that everyone should watch.

Death Note is just fantastic. Probably my third favorite show after Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter (2011).
Death Note is my second favourite series after Assassination Classroom. Assassination Classroom is far better than it has any right to be. The plot is "students try to kill their teacher (a powerful many-limbed monster) to stop him from destroying the planet", but the show is a lighthearted trip through a school year. It's also the only series that's managed to make me cry.

I'm going to start watching the dub tomorrow!

Yeah, Bleach is rather boring in terms of both characterization and plot. I have no idea how it got so popular.

Death Note is my second favourite series after Assassination Classroom. Assassination Classroom is far better than it has any right to be. The plot is "students try to kill their teacher (a powerful many-limbed monster) to stop him from destroying the planet", but the show is a lighthearted trip through a school year. It's also the only series that's managed to make me cry.

I'm going to start watching the dub tomorrow!

Yeah, Bleach is rather boring in terms of both characterization and plot. I have no idea how it got so popular.
I recently completed the first season of Assassination Classroom and it was ok. I liked Nagisa as the protagonist and Koro-sensei was funny but it wasn't really all that interesting to me. I'll watch the 2nd season too but not anytime soon.

I thought you said that you liked Bleach earlier?

Back