AMOLAD tour memories and opinions

Wouldn't be surprised of a 20th anniversary edition live album coming out in a few years, only likely way for that live album to be released IMO

Pretty sure that the show was Donington on the Matter of the Beast tour, which wasn't a great show by their standards, and probably why it was never released to begin with.

They did not play The Longest Day on the 2007 leg of the tour. ;)

I have been told that the original plan was to release the (relatively lacklustre) Donington 2007 show with the AMOLAD tracks not played in 2007 as bonus tracks, but it was shelved.

Definitely not. I see it very possible to be released, even after Iron Maiden is no more, especially as part of Collector's Box or something.

True. I was referring to it being released as a standalone item though.

I would not be too happy with a 2007 + bonus release though, as the interesting tour was the 2006 one.

I would be pretty okay with them releasing the AMOLAD show that they have (I'm not actually entirely convinced the final form it took wasn't AMOLAD in full from '06 + the remaining Donington tracks as the bonus, rather than the other way around) as long as they also release the missing studio b-side covers they're still hoarding. We only got Hocus Pocus and years later Space Truckin'.

I don't see the big deal of releasing or not some covers. It's Hush & Angel of Death we're missing right? They will be definitely released one day, but again, so what?
The only exceptional covers I can think of are Cross-eyed Mary and Reach out.

Exceptional in the sense that they are adding something, the world is a better place with them in.

I'm the opposite, I think all Maiden covers are good.

The best pair are All in Your Mind and Kill Me (Ce Soir)

EDIT: I'm also looking forward to Angel of Death, as it's a Maiden style gallop anyway and I'm wondering of they'll do anything with the keyboard intro or just jump straight in

I'm the opposite, I think all Maiden covers are good.

All are are good, or shall I say "correct" but there's nothing special on them.
For example in Cross Eyed Mary flute is replaced by guitar and in Reach Out Adrian is the lead singer. Thus both of them add something in the music, not just making fans happy.

All are are good, or shall I say "correct" but there's nothing special on them.
For example in Cross Eyed Mary flute is replaced by guitar and in Reach Out Adrian is the lead singer. Thus both of them add something in the music, not just making fans happy.

I really like what they did with the covers they recorded in 1984, Beckett's Rainbow's Gold (their second Beckett cover and not their last!) and Nektar's King of Twilight (in reality a medley of two songs: Crying in the Dark and King of Twilight).

What an amazing show!

I was at the same night the OP mentioned.

A matter if life and death is top 5 Maiden for me and has been my favourite reunion album until Senjutsu came along. Now they are firmly even.

Playing the whole album was a bold move and one I was very excited about. I remember around that time it seemed popular for big acts to out and do a tour celebrating anniversary’s of considered classic albums and playing them in full. Maiden could have gone out a celebrated 20 years of somewhere in time in 2006 but instead chose to play their latest album in full.

I’m lucky to have been to a lot of Maiden shows over the years and when I look back at ticket stubs and programs it always takes me back to that time and a ton of memories, such as:

1. My birthday is in December so a week before the gig I was celebrating my 30th birthday!

2. Memories of earls court. Fantastic venue and such a shame it’s gone now.

3. I’d started a new job a few months before the gig. This takes me back as my life was so different 15 (nearly 16) years ago. Since then I’ve moved home twice, changed jobs a further 5 times. Met and married my wife :bigsmile:

4. The mate I went with to the gig wasn’t a big fan of the album when it came out and therefore didn’t really enjoy the fact they played the whole album. These days he’s grown to love it and regrets that he wasn’t able to fully appreciate the gig.

Also makes me think about the upcoming future past tour. Going with my best mate and we’re taking the wives. They aren’t really rock or metal fans but appreciate some of the stuff they’ve heard and are curious to see this band me and my mate are always going on about lol.

Incredible that it's been 16 years already.
Probably the last Maiden album I really loved, and with The X Factor (it's twin) my favorite after the classic era.
I saw them in Chicago, and I really loved the show. If not my favorite Maiden gig, it's up there close with the Death on the Road and Somewhere Back in Time shows. Mid 2000s Maiden were really in top form, both live and in the studio.
Playing the whole album felt really fresh, and I enjoyed it a lot because I was really into all the songsm Can perfectly see how it was a drag for people who didn't particularly care for AMOLAD, let alone casual fans. Most of the crowd was pretty dead until Fear of the Dark.

November 30th, 2006 at Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona (16 years today).

My 5th Maiden concert and my last one. My 2nd favorite. The best was Dance of Death.
I have no seen them since then because I don’t like greatest hits tours and I couldn’t go to the final frontier or book of souls tours.

Nice memories of the show . It was awesome. Sold out concert. I remember they play the first five songs in a row and they paused a few minutes meanwhile the 18000 fans chanted ‘oe oe oe Maiden Maiden…’ later Bruce said thank you to all people there because this was their best attendance in Spain ever.

It was awesome that they played the full album with five old songs at the end. It was cheaper stage and lightning set ( very dark) The sound was Ok and their performance was superb. I bought a couple of tour posters and the tour program.
What can I say? When you go to a Maiden show you always go out with a smile in your face :D

I saw this show twice, in fact it was the very first time I travelled more than 50+ miles to see Maiden and the first time I saw multiple shows on a single tour. I saw shows in both Camden and East Rutherford.

Camden was notable as Jer said - the tank did not work during Iron Maiden at this show. I recall Bruce saying something about blaming the local power company or something.

The East Rutherford show (same place where they filmed Rime for Flight 666 less than 2 years later) was delayed due to a water main breaking somewhere around the arena or something causing a back up. I want to say this show started about 30 minutes late as a result.

Both shows were glorious for me - AMOLAD was at the time and still is my favorite of their recent material, so having the opportunity to hear the whole thing was amazing. How many of us have seen Maiden a few times and had a show with 10 songs we'd never heard before? Doesn't happen all that often.

The crowd reception was certainly mixed from my vantage at both shows (I had seats for both, no floor). I'd say about 60% either loved it and rocked out or loved it and didn't care what they were playing. The other 40% were basically comatose from about The Pilgrim up until Fear of the Dark where the audiences exploded. In this sense, it was a super weird vibe even though I myself had a great time.

I still have my 4-5 shirts from this tour and the tour poster hanging up on my walls to remind me of two of the very best Maiden shows I've ever seen. I can't believe these shows were over 16 years ago, man time flies!

November 30th, 2006 at Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona (16 years today).

My 5th Maiden concert and my last one. My 2nd favorite. The best was Dance of Death.
I have no seen them since then because I don’t like greatest hits tours and I couldn’t go to the final frontier or book of souls tours.

Nice memories of the show . It was awesome. Sold out concert. I remember they play the first five songs in a row and they paused a few minutes meanwhile the 18000 fans chanted ‘oe oe oe Maiden Maiden…’ later Bruce said thank you to all people there because this was their best attendance in Spain ever.

It was awesome that they played the full album with five old songs at the end. It was cheaper stage and lightning set ( very dark) The sound was Ok and their performance was superb. I bought a couple of tour posters and the tour program.
What can I say? When you go to a Maiden show you always go out with a smile in your face :D

I think the dark light show was a perfect fit for the show. I particularly loved The Longest Day with that newspaper as the backdrop. Fantastic song, part of a fantastic tour.

Back