AMOLAD tour memories and opinions

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
Morning. I was rummaging through some paperwork and found the tour programme to the A Matter of Life and Death. It was nice to revisit that special tour. I saw them at Earls Court on the 22nd December. I remember the power going out and running across Waterloo bridge trying to get the last train home. I also remember getting up next day and having the Different World single arrive in the post. Their last proper CD and DVD single!

I really enjoyed the gig but my mates and family members were not convinced. They thought it was boring to play the whole album. What are your memories and opinions of the shows you saw?

Different World... Their last proper CD and DVD single!
Unfortunately, I'd say. Edit: we would have more live songs: from the album, TOAC or other songs from the tours after 2006.

One of Maiden's most memorable and special tours! I think it was a great decision to play the whole album live (since it is one of the band's best albums for sure) - their only mistake was not releasing a DVD from it. For the 2007 leg of the tour, they could have been more ''bold'' with the setlist though. I'm still sad that I couldn't go to the show in 2007 because I had an immediate commitment.

Last edited:
I saw them at Earls Court on the 22nd December.

I was at the same show. Watching them play football onstage, Bruce desperately trying to communicate with a megaphone, and them doing anything to keep the crowd entertained is a great memory. The evening before the gig was spent at the Ruskin Arms, the night after the gig at a nearby hotel from which I could just barely make the flight the next morning. Actually, I didn't make it, I was lucky it was delayed due to extreme fog. The IM Fan Club organised both meetings (I wasn't a member, but some of the people I was with were), and I think Dave Sullivan was at the after-show party, although I didn't talk to him.

AMOLAD was my first Maiden tour, the first gig I ever saw was Paris in 2006, I wrote down my memories here several years ago: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/ten-years-ago-today.45103/#post-627946

Nothing compares to the atmosphere of that winter. Following the tour online with my friends on this board and elsewhere and the growing anticipation of getting to see the gigs was an amazing experience. If I could re-live one part of my life, it would be that one.

I was at the same show. Watching them play football onstage, Bruce desperately trying to communicate with a megaphone, and them doing anything to keep the crowd entertained is a great memory. The evening before the gig was spent at the Ruskin Arms, the night after the gig at a nearby hotel from which I could just barely make the flight the next morning. Actually, I didn't make it, I was lucky it was delayed due to extreme fog. The IM Fan Club organised both meetings (I wasn't a member, but some of the people I was with were), and I think Dave Sullivan was at the after-show party, although I didn't talk to him.

AMOLAD was my first Maiden tour, the first gig I ever saw was Paris in 2006, I wrote down my memories here several years ago: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/ten-years-ago-today.45103/#post-627946

Nothing compares to the atmosphere of that winter. Following the tour online with my friends on this board and elsewhere and the growing anticipation of getting to see the gigs was an amazing experience. If I could re-live one part of my life, it would be that one.
Those sound like great memories. I had a similar experience following Maiden online in 2005. Plus watching the Rock AM Ring and Ullevi shows for me pumped up for Reading festival.

Saw them in 2006 in Camden, NJ — great show, loved that they played the whole album. The only bummer was that the tank didn’t inflate at the end!

Morning. I was rummaging through some paperwork and found the tour programme to the A Matter of Life and Death. It was nice to revisit that special tour. I saw them at Earls Court on the 22nd December. I remember the power going out and running across Waterloo bridge trying to get the last train home. I also remember getting up next day and having the Different World single arrive in the post. Their last proper CD and DVD single!

I really enjoyed the gig but my mates and family members were not convinced. They thought it was boring to play the whole album. What are your memories and opinions of the shows you saw?
I was at the next night at Earls Court, the last gig of the tour and Dave's birthday. It was one of fav Maiden gigs, and ive been to a lot. I loved AMOLAD so really enjoyed them playing the whole album. We missed the coach on the way home and i had to sleep at the coach station go back up north on xmas eve.

Saw that tour in Stuttgart and Dortmund. One of their most interesting tours so far IMHO. Cool stage, not so many "great hits", great merch.

Wished I could have seen this tour but I would have had to travel. Maiden ignored the Southeastern USA for many years.

I saw the Paris gig. It’s up to this day my best Maiden gig ever.
I didn’t do first to the barrier, but I was still on the pitch and I could see them just great, sound was great too, the benefits of a smaller closed venue instead of a big open stadium as Park des Princes.

After the concert we had a beer with other members from this Forum and we exchanged experiences each from their perspective, first to barrier, seated etc.

I now realize I had the chance to see Maiden in a closed venue, only 3 times in all. The experience is far superior compared to arenas, which I’ll try to avoid from now on as much as possible.

I'm still sad that I couldn't go to the show in 2007 because I had an immediate commitment.
On both dates?!
1669601100036.png

Of course there was only one gig in Sofia, in June. But this is the official site, so it must be true!

The fact that they played the whole album is precisely what made this tour so special.
And such a bizarre commercial decision they have released a ton of live albums, almost one per album after 2020 but nothing from this tour. The only live album that would be original and special, they skipped it.

Almost in par as if they were playing ATG next tour but not including it in the subsequent live material, talk mega clever! :D

I loved the album (top 5 Maiden release as far as I am concerned) and really loved the tour, with the bold move of playing it in its entirety. I went to both London shows and, as it has been already mentioned, the first one was particularly special thanks to the power cut and the band staying on stage to keep us entertained for half an hour. To top things, my better half and I met Bruce in London the afternoon of the show whilst we were doing some sightseeing. :)

Those A Matter of Life and Death London shows are, together with the Somewhere Back in Time shows of 2008 (Oslo especially), my favourite Maiden gigs ever and I have been to quite a few since the mid 90s.

What are your memories of the Dortmund show? I felt the crowd was completely out of control.
Basically this. I unfortunately have more memories of the Stuttgart show the night before and also of the train trip from Stuttgart to Dortmund. But it was very cool. I came much closer to the stage in Dortmund because I was there well in time. My plane from Hannover to Stuttgart was delayed, so I was late for the Stuttgart show.

Last edited:
It’s great reading all these memories. Thanks for sharing.

One can only hope that a live album will surface one day. We can hear Steve mixing ‘Longest Day’ on Flight 666. Also I seem to remember there being an unreleased live album with an acronym that could be linked to AMOLAD on Shirley’s website. This was about 10 years ago.

Wouldn't be surprised of a 20th anniversary edition live album coming out in a few years, only likely way for that live album to be released IMO

Pretty sure that the show was Donington on the Matter of the Beast tour, which wasn't a great show by their standards, and probably why it was never released to begin with.

It’s great reading all these memories. Thanks for sharing.

One can only hope that a live album will surface one day. We can hear Steve mixing ‘Longest Day’ on Flight 666. Also I seem to remember there being an unreleased live album with an acronym that could be linked to AMOLAD on Shirley’s website. This was about 10 years ago.

My fear is that ship has already sailed. :(

Back