Alexander The Great

mtmccox said:
When, where, is there a footage?
2009 tour I think. And yes. The link should be somewhere around on this forum. I don't remember where though.

Is it so hard to just learn the song and play it? They are a great live band, and if they can play ROTAM that's almost 14 minutes long then they can play this one too. They have one more guitarist to fill the empty spots. I know that some members don't like ATG, but c'mon, do it for the fans.

I guess this song is the most desired one among Maiden fans worldwide.

If, when the day comes for their farewell tour, they decide to do a poll over which songs they should include in the set, I fancy AtG to be in the top 5.

Alexander the Great has its own atmosphere, fascinating melodies and great solos. Maybe some members don't like the song because of the lyrics. Lyrics are totally crap, maybe 'Arry is ashamed of his own lyrics for the song and don't want to play it. It's just a prediction though. I hope they will play the song at least in their farewell tour, but it's also not likely, sadly.

Night Prowler said:
Is it so hard to just learn the song and play it? They are a great live band, and if they can play ROTAM that's almost 14 minutes long then they can play this one too. They have one more guitarist to fill the empty spots. I know that some members don't like ATG, but c'mon, do it for the fans.

There's a big difference between ROTAM and ATG. Rime has been either runner-up or co-champ of Maidenfans survivors, while ATG is merely one of the top 8 songs on the recent album survivor winning Somewhere in Time.

Night Prowler said:
ATG is more complicated than Rime of the Ancient Mariner. In comparison, Rime is easy to play. ATG has many time changes and melodies and there is so much going on. To pull it off live would be something of a great accomplishment.

In addition, I saw an interview with Nicko a while back on Youtube pertaining to why this song has never been played live. He said as far as he remembered they had performed rehearsals for it along with other possible songs from the album for the Somewhere in Time tour but the band preferred the other songs, this seems to indicate that none of the band are particularly fond of the song, all in all I reckon it's pretty doubtful that it will ever be played live.

That or it was too hard. I find it very sad if the band makes one of, if not the most musically genius song they have ever recorded, and not be fond of it.

shandi777 said:
Steve won't even allow FOI let alone Alexander.  However, It's one of my favorites!
Those are two different situations. IIRC, FOI isn't played because they (H Bruce and Steve) can't agree on a tempo to play the song. It's to avoid conflict.

Back