Alexander The Great

Mosh said:
ATG is more complicated than Rime of the Ancient Mariner. In comparison, Rime is easy to play. ATG has many time changes and melodies and there is so much going on. To pull it off live would be something of a great accomplishment.

We also saw it on the 2010 leg of the current tour, where they started playing Paschendale and later let Dance of Death replace it, because they were not satisfied with how they were performing Paschendale. If they don't feel they can do a song justice live, they are not likely to play it. That may well bethe case with Alexander as well.

Oh right Paschendale. I don't get what happened there. They seemed to be doing fine with it on the DOD tour. Maybe they didn't rehearse it and should've. Hopefully they will at some point so it will be performed live again.

Didn't they say that they felt they were not playing it good enough to do it justice? Then they settled for Dance of Death which is simpler.

I don't know but I suspect that was why. But I thought that the reason they weren't playing it well, was due to a lack of rehearsal.

Fuck me, I always quite enjoyed ATG but have absolutely no wish to hear it live. I 100% agree with the band that it wouldn't work live. People need to let it fucking go already.

I agree to a certain extent, I think it would be good live, but I would rather see other songs in there.

Or Caught Somewhere in Time ? Crowd could sing along with the chorus, especially. It's also a dynamic song. I'd like to hear CSiT as the first song of a Maiden concert if you ask me.

The Flash said:
Or Caught Somewhere in Time ? Crowd could sing along with the chorus, especially. It's also a dynamic song. I'd like to hear CSiT as the first song of a Maiden concert if you ask me.

If they're not going to play a song called "Caught Somewhere in Time" on a tour called "Somewhere Back in Time" it is very unlikely we'll get to see it live in the future. Playing CSiT would have been soooooo much better than Heaven Can Wait (again).

Habberdasher said:
If they're not going to play a song called "Caught Somewhere in Time" on a tour called "Somewhere Back in Time" it is very unlikely we'll get to see it live in the future. Playing CSiT would have been soooooo much better than Heaven Can Wait (again).
Absolutely this.

That song is a fucking rally, it's a perfect test for your band's rhythm section. However, your general band will play it with double bass drums and three fingers on bass guitar. To be honest, I don't think McBrain and Harris could sustain it anymore. It's a very demanding song. Slowing it down would kill it's magic.

Bruce never delivered this one live.

Somewhere In Time - it's sound spectrum is immense. To recreate that detail live, they'd need perfect attention, basically just stand there still and behave like Pink Floyd on stage. Operating that MIDI gear and stuff. Loneliness worked out live, that one time - it sounds closer to album performance than CSiT or SIASL, but I bet the band didn't get much fun while playing it. 

I don't think songs like Paschendale or Starblind would work well live, they just seem too calculated and perfect to recreate in a live setting. I think Isle of Avalon would be a better choice.

Paschendale worked fine in 2004. It was great then.
Wel'll never know about Starblind or Avalon. But I bet Avalon would be killer live.

Back