Alestorm

I must have seen them at least three times now, and they're a whole bunch of fun. One Piratefest with 2 other piratey bands (plus an extreme chiptune pirate dance metal act), and once with Sabaton. They opened on the second stage at Sonisphere on the Saturday...breakfast then Alestorm....great day. Mind you, Gojira opened on the main stage on the Sunday, what a niche slot for such a strong band.

I’m not a fan of metalcore, but Alestorm have actually used that influence pretty well. Elliot has some fantastic harsh vocals that he puts to good use in their songs. He sounded even better in that live show than in studio.

I am genuinely confused at what the fuck the boys are doing here. At first I was more impressed than I was with “Treasure Chest Party Quest”, but then they turned the song on its head with some rap elements and now I don’t know what to think. Definitely trying to appeal to a different audience.

Pure, utter trash. I even went out of my way to downvote the Youtube video.
gray-wolf-howl.jpg

Yeah, I definitely didn't love it, but Treasure Chest Party Quest was good, so I'm still optimistic about the rest of the album.

I mean I like it, it still sounds like Alestorm. It's a lot of fun. I like they're trying new things, if they didn't, the whole pirate schtick would have gotten boring at Back Through Time.

It's not groundbreaking or anything, but it definitely sounds like something that would be a lot of fun in a live setting.
Yeah, I agree. Music kinda sounds like a throw back to Black Sails and Back Through Time while giving it a more modern gleam. Like you said, nothing groundbreaking but it’s fun and the best song from the album I’ve heard this far.

So who is this Fannybaws dude and why haven't we heard of him before? The stories of his adventures sound strangely familiar ...

I guess Captain Morgan wasn't interested in a merchandising deal then :D

Trust Alestorm to be completely shit yet still put a smile on my face. This video has a clip of a cat meowing over dubbed with a dog barking and someone giving the middle finger to Bono's wikipedia page.

"We are the Pirate Metal drinking crew; we do want we want, we think you all suck FUCK YOU!"

Finally got around to listen through the album. It’s not terrible, but it’s not very good. The musicianship is top notch as far as Alestorm goes but they’re clearly taking the piss here. The lyrics are dumb even for their standards. Some bits are good, Shit Boat (No Fans) is very fun but mostly because it’s short and to the point, Chomp Chomp has a cool riff, and Henry Martin is a neat cover. Then some songs are just pure nonsense, like Tortuga and the drivel that is Pirate Metal Drinking Crew, and others have a melodramatic approach that I don’t think suits them, like in Zombies Ate My Pirate Ship and Call Of The Waves, and it’s an approach I don’t think I’ve been particularly fond of before too. I mean, stuff like Magnetic North and Sunset On The Golden Age employed melodrama but it worked so much better there.

But the album does have one ace up its sleeve, and that’s the eight minute epic that seems to sail in from out of nowhere — Wooden Leg Pt. 2 (The Woodening). Is it ridiculous? Of course it is. Is it great? Hell yes. It opens with tinges of thrash and black metal and then launches into a direct sequel to their classic two minute rocker Wooden Leg. It takes aspects from 1741 and Sunset, from the same album, and incorporates them in, which is quite nice, and then really expands upon the silly story they created on that album. This time the narrator is off to seek revenge, but his curse lives on. First the take the original chorus and stretch it out, and then at the end they utilize the o.g. but flip it on its head (pun intended). The one song on here I will definitely be coming back to. The rest... eh, we’ll see. Could grow, but I doubt it. They really tried to be overly silly here in the wake of the popular Fucked With An Anchor, but they just couldn’t recapture the magic. Too bad.

I agree completely with just about everything you said, Diesel. Wooden Leg Pt. 2 is awesome, but other than that, the album was a big letdown to me. Honestly right now I'd rate it as my least favorite Alestorm album.

Back