Albums where every song is good.

Fight Fire With Fire is an awful song. One of their worst. It's really the only song that keeps me from listing it here myself.

I seriously don't understand the hatred for the song. I'm not saying it's unjustified but it's a great song to kick off the album, coupled with an insane solo at the three minute mark.

It's probably in my top 10 Metallica songs near the 7/8/9 mark.

I seriously don't understand the hatred for the song. I'm not saying it's unjustified but it's a great song to kick off the album, coupled with an insane solo at the three minute mark.
I like the little acoustic intro but after that the song completely falls apart. Awful muddy riffs coupled with James' annoying barking (I like him on the rest of the song) is enough to ruin the song for me. The whole song just sounds like one sloppy mess.

I like the little acoustic intro but after that the song completely falls apart. Awful muddy riffs coupled with James' annoying barking (I like him on the rest of the song) is enough to ruin the song for me. The whole song just sounds like one sloppy mess.

It's unrefined compared to the rest of the album, but that's part of the appeal of the song. I totally get where you're coming from and it's not a song for everyone.

The Beatles: sgt peper lonely heart club band
Accept: Blood of the nations
Iron Maiden: Powerslave
Motorhead: Ace of spades, Inferno
Led Zeppelin: IV, Physical Graffiti, Presence
Robert Plant: Mighty rearranger
Jethro Tull: Songs from the wood, Heavy horses
AC/DC: Highway to hell
Pink Floyd: Dark side of the moon, The wall
Ashra tempel: Inventions for electric guitar, New age of earth
Marillion: Script for a jester's tear
The Pogues: If I should fall from grace with god
The Police: Regatta de blanc
Justin Adams & Juldeh Camara: Tell no lies

What's wrong with that? I'd also include the album in my list. Same as the others, off the top of my head:

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind/The X Factor/ A Matter of Life and Death
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Alter Bridge - Fortress/Blackbird
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Pearl Jam - Ten
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
Blaze - Silicon Messiah
Sabaton - The Art of War

1. I did not realize you are such a fan of The X Factor! Let's talk more about that. I saw that tour and me and my friends were very impressed with Blaze's performance! Really enjoyed seeing The Aftermath and Blood On the World's Hands live.
2. Thanks for mentioning Accident of Birth...one of my favorite metal CDs of all time.
3. You mentioned AMOLAD, did you see the tour where they played the whole thing? It was the first tour promoting a new CD where Maiden skipped my part of the US and at the time I could not travel 16 hours away (will be next year however!)

Yes, The X Factor is definitely one of my favourite albums ever released. It's partly because I was a new Maiden fan when it got out and I never had a problem with Bruce's leaving, so I was less critical of it than most other fans who hated Blaze in the first place. I must have played that cassette thousands of times. The interesting thing is that my appreciation for the album over the years has only grown and I absolutely love every song on it, including the widely disregarded Look For the Truth, which happens to be among my favourites. However, the first time Maiden came to my country was in 1998 and I couldn't be there for various reasons but I listened to the gig outside the venue. :D

As for AMOLAD, I still think it's the most consistent Maiden album, without a single filler, and I love it. I saw the AMOLAD tour in 2007 (my first Maiden gig) but they played five AMOLAD songs then. I wish I had seen them all.

Alice in Chains - Dirt (if you don't consider Iron Gland a song, which you shouldn't)
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Beatles - Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, A Hard Day's Night. There was a time I would say The White Album too, but I'd have to re-listen to it to be sure.
Black Sabbath - Sabotage, Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven and Hell
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding, Accident of Birth (Toltec 7 Arrival is just an intro, right?)
Coldplay - Viva la Vida (yeah, I'm serious)
Death - Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance
Deep Purple - In Rock
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos, Train of Thought, Octavarium, BC&SL (though I'm very tempted to add Falling into Infinity to this list)
Genesis - Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Iron Maiden - AMOLAD, Powerslave, FotD, BNW, The X Factor, TFF
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien (Shockwave Supernova seems tobe slowly heading this way, too)
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Pink Floyd - Animals, Wish You Were Here
Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Roy Wood - Boulders
Rush - A Farewell to Kings, Clockwork Angels
Symphony X - Underworld
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Yes - Close to the Edge

(Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick and Passion Play :D )

Will edit later.

EDIT: Okay, I put TFF there.

EDIT #2: I've decided to redo the post in alphabetical order.

Last edited:
Yes, The X Factor is definitely one of my favourite albums ever released. It's partly because I was a new Maiden fan when it got out and I never had a problem with Bruce's leaving, so I was less critical of it than most other fans who hated Blaze in the first place. I must have played that cassette thousands of times. The interesting thing is that my appreciation for the album over the years has only grown and I absolutely love every song on it, including the widely disregarded Look For the Truth, which happens to be among my favourites. However, the first time Maiden came to my country was in 1998 and I couldn't be there for various reasons but I listened to the gig outside the venue. :D

As for AMOLAD, I still think it's the most consistent Maiden album, without a single filler, and I love it. I saw the AMOLAD tour in 2007 (my first Maiden gig) but they played five AMOLAD songs then. I wish I had seen them all.

A shame Maiden has never played Look For the Truth live. Cool that you heard the Virtual XI tour, I missed that one.

Because you did not include Powerslave or SIT on your list, what songs do you not care for on those LPs?

Iron Maiden - AMOLAD, Powerslave, FotD, BNW, The X Factor (TFF was nearly included, but I hate Satellite)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos, Train of Thought, Octavarium, BC&SL (though I'm very tempted to add Falling into Infinity to this list)
Black Sabbath - Sabotage, Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven and Hell
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding, Accident of Birth (Toltec 7 Arrival is just an intro, right?)
Pink Floyd - Animals, Wish You Were Here
Rush - A Farewell to Kings, Clockwork Angels
Death - Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien (Shockwave Supernova seems tobe slowly heading this way, too)
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Symphony X - Underworld
Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Alice in Chains - Dirt (if you don't consider Iron Gland a song, which you shouldn't)
Deep Purple - In Rock
Gentle Giant - Octopus

(Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick and Passion Play :D )

I consider Satellite an intro not a song to itself. The fact that it is the same track number as the title track (on the studio LP) shows Maiden might feel the same so IMO, go ahead and put TFF on that list.

Will edit later.

Because you did not include Powerslave or SIT on your list, what songs do you not care for on those LPs?
Actually, I'm not too keen on Powerslave at all. Apart from Aces High and Rime, I don't consider any of the rest among Maiden's best, even the universally acclaimed title track.
As for SIT, I would only consider Heaven Can Wait a mediocre song.

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Bathory
Blue Öyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin, Spectres, Imaginos, Secret Treaties
Candlemass - Nightfall
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Helstar - Nosferatu
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Iron Maiden - TBoS, Iron Maiden, Powerslave, 7th Son, Somewhere in Time, NotB, Killers
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Diamond - The Eye
KISS - Destroyer
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Motörhead - 1916, Iron Fist, Orgasmatron, Overkill
Nuclear Assault - Game Over
Omen - Battle Cry
Overkill - Feel the Fire, Under the Influence, The Years of Decay, The Electric Age
Rage - Lingua Mortis
Razor - Violent Restitution, Evil Invaders
Running Wild - Under Jolly Roger
Rush - Hemispheres, Moving Pictures
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
Satan - Atom By Atom, Court in the Act
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Sodom - M-16, In the Sign of Evil
Vader - Litany, Impressions in Blood, Welcome to the Morbid Reich
Venom - At War With Satan
Voivod - Nothingface

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt II
Electric Light Orchestra - Time
Firewind - Forged By Fire, The Premonition
Halestorm - Into The Wild Life
Iron Maiden - SiT, SSOASS, TBOS
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, Painkiller (Defenders of The Faith if ou remove Eat Me Alive)
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

I don't really understand the criteria here...
What albums are there where every song is at least good? It doesn't matter if there are no outstanding or brilliant songs on the album, as long as every song on the album is good.

To me, for a song to get a good rating it requires a 7/10. When you come and think about it, there's not that many albums where every song is consistently good. I can think of probably 30 or 40 albums where every song on the album except for 1 is good.
To me "good" is pretty middle-of-the-road in the description of anything. I don't use ratings out-of-ten for my music, I just use WMP's five-star system. Anything four or five star with this system pretty much equates to 7, 8, 9, or 10 out of ten i.e. "good" for the purposes of this thread. For artists I enjoy listening too, I don't really have a massive amount of three-star tracks (5-6/10; that's pretty "meh" for an artist I dig); even fewer two-star tracks (3-4/10; that's incredible disappointing &/or positively annoying); and one-star (1-2/10) is, for me, unlistenable (why would I even have this music?). So in this context, pretty much everything Maiden have recorded is near 7/10 or better; therefore nearly their entire discography would qualify here. Plus, I'm not going to sit here typing dozens of Buckethead album titles...

My rating system is 5= Great, 4= Good to Very Good, 3= Decent, 2= Weak but not offensive, 1= Bad to Awful. If I were to set the criteria at 4 & 5, there's a good chance no album would qualify. Don't think there's a single album where I find the consistent quality of the songs that high. I went to my iTunes and there are some that would qualify with a criteria of 3 and above with a good quantity of 4 & 5s on there.

In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Powerslave by Iron Maiden
...And Justice for All by Metallica
Images and Words by Dream Theater
Still Life by Opeth
Damnation by Opeth
Ghost Reveries by Opeth
The Fathomless Mastery by Bloodbath
Watershed by Opeth

Further proof that an album is not the sum or the par of its parts in my case. Many albums that I'd rate higher than these bunch are missing. Wish You Were Here, Powerslave and ...And Justice for All aren't my favorite albums from their respective bands. Opeth has four albums that fit the criteria but my favorite Opeth album isn't one of them.

Further proof that an album is not the sum or the par of its parts in my case. Many albums that I'd rate higher than these bunch are missing. Wish You Were Here, Powerslave and ...And Justice for All aren't my favorite albums from their respective bands. Opeth has four albums that fit the criteria but my favorite Opeth album isn't one of them.

This was the most interesting phenomenon resulting from this thread, as I (and Mosh) wrote about above.

Looking back at my list 18 months later, I'd have to second-guess Appetite for Destruction, as it is one of my favorite albums but it does have a clunker or two. I'd also put Rising on there; "Do You Close Your Eyes" probably kept it off before, but on reflection, it's a fine song for what it is, even though it doesn't fit in with the rest of the album at all. And I can't for the life of me recall or figure out what kept Back in Black off my list, every song is solid. If you don't count the weird 10-second outro track, the new Baroness album, Purple, probably qualifies too, but it's still too soon to tell. Ditto for Book of Souls, as I'm not sure whether "Death or Glory" keeps it off (or "Empire of the Clouds" :innocent:).

Back