album review

Didn’t want to be picky but since there’s other people saying they cant see the smiles neither can I. And Maverick when will the real commentary be up cant wait to read it.

About the smilies: I wasn't able to see them either, but I fiddled with the settings in my profile and now they're there.

Well, I am a bit afraid of writing to this topic as I do not speak English very well :) (Is it english or English by the way?) I understand that Maverick is angry with those who misspell and destroy the language in many inventive ways - I face the same problem here in the Czech Republic, because I like my native language. There are those who say that this is not important, only the content is, but what is the content for when nobody can't read it? And this is most important when somebody tries to read texts in a language he (or she, I should add for some people :) has not grown with. And this is why I'm writing this post.

I have big difficulties reading A Matter of Life and Death commentary. Well, should I sit and waste my time trying to understand it? Is it that I am that lazy? Maybe. It was a good joke at the beginning, but I am returning every day with a hope that the author is satisfied with the laugh he had and have put there a correct version of the commentary finally. Well, maybe I should cease returning, I've already bought the album and in fact, I need no reviews, so why read the commentary?

But I think there are lots of people who'd like to read the correct commentary, and for those, it would be good to post the correct version as soon as possible. It was probably ment to learn people that they should try to write correctly, but as my experience tells me, it will not work, some things are hard to change :)

Don't worry, mate, your English is just fine.  Also, give the administrator a break, eh!  He has a long list of things he has to do.  If you are here only to read the commentary, that is fine.  Check periodically and maybe it'll be ready then.  Welcome aboard!

Anomica said:
About the smilies: I wasn't able to see them either, but I fiddled with the settings in my profile and now they're there.

I can't see the Smilies.  Could anybody offer any suggestions, please?  (Should this be another thread?).

Ow... Do I see well? Think so... Well, thank you, Mav :) I haven't finished reading (in fact, i've read the first two sentences or so), but I believe I wont be displeased :)

By the way, how many have actually tried to read Maverick's l33t speak all the way through?  :D That would be a bit crazy, I think.  :nuts2:  :bigsmile: I just glanced at it and it gave me a headache, just like it was supposed to.  So good job in that regard Maverick.  :ok:

Well, I gave it a try, but had to give up :) But I am afraid Maverick's effort will meet no success and people will continue to write the way they did before. I tried to talk some czech colleagues to write correctly their own language but with no good result :-/ They need to learn it themselves that correct typing is better for them :)

Belenor said:
I tried to talk some czech colleagues to write correctly their own language but with no good result.
Imagine that in my job, people who earn their money using their mother tongue have to rely on spellchecking...

Oh and Belenor, your English is, so to speak, víc než uspokojivá. ;) (More than satisfactory, for everyone else.)

Belenor said:
Oh well, thank you (but 'the/a/an' will continue to cause me a headache :)

It is funny that you mention that Belenor.  When I first started speaking English, I had the same problems.  My teachers always, always corrected me in this regard.  I no longer have this problem, unless I need to speak my native Croatian for an extended period of time and then switch to English.  People then point out to me that I'm dropping my articles.  It is funny that way.
I think (and Belenor you can correct me if I'm wrong) this difficulty arises from the fact that both the Czech and the Croatian language (among others) have a lot of conjugation where articles are thus not needed.
Belenor, if you want to alleviate your headache, I suggest you drop your school or job, leave your family and friends and move to an English speaking country (JK  :bigsmile:). 

Genghis Khan said:
I think (and Belenor you can correct me if I'm wrong) this difficulty arises from the fact that both the Czech and the Croatian language (among others) have a lot of conjugation where articles are thus not needed.
Belenor, if you want to alleviate your headache, I suggest you drop your school or job, leave your family and friends and move to an English speaking country (JK  :bigsmile:). 

Well, maybe you're right, I'm better in computer languages than human languages. It seems to me that the Czech does not use articles. I think the Czech language has something similar to 'the', but nothing for 'a/an'. And thanks for the suggestion :)

Belanor, I really don't think you should worry about your English as the sentence construction and the grammar is better than some folk where English is their Mother tongue.

Thanks :) I hope it is after those years of study. I am trying to help myself with reading books in English to get some feeling of grammar and to extend my vocabulary. Well, enough of a language spam, this topic was supposed to be on reviews :)

After listening to the new record for a million times I think it's time to make my review.

It is the best record since 1988. Easily. There are no filler tracks. Bruce has written his best ever lyrics with "Brighter" and especially with "The Longest Day". His story telling is thrilling, agonizing and accurate. You can feel the taste of the bloodied water and the beach sands covering you while bullets fly all over the place. It is the "Saving Private Ryan" of rock music!

The best tracks of the album imo are Lord of Light (the first verse could be Bruce's strongest singing in years) Brighter than thousand suns (could be written by Roy Z, for me the closest it gets to Bruce's solo stuff) The Legacy (the most diverse and peculiar song of Maiden's last decade, reminiscent of Priest in the part that follows the medieval intro) Longest Day (an amazing war thriller) and The Pilgrim (the song that has all Maiden trademarks in the perfect mix, fantastic bridge and chorus).

Different World is better than Wildest Dreams but not as good as The Wickerman.
Steve's track has a fantastic instrumental part and a good chorus. The lyrics are naively written (in comparison with Bruce's efforts) especially the "Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is, Well tell me now what war is, Again tell me what life is" part. Steve talked about his lyrics approach in the making of AMOLAD and his opinion was clearly that the music is far more important and that he doesn't hesitate changing the lyrics in order for the melody to be exactly as he wants it. Bottom line: Let's not have high expectations from Steve's lyrics. At least the music is good!

Benjy, These Colours and Out of the shadows are great songs. The first starts to be a little tiring since I've heard it twice as much as the rest of the songs (being released earlier) but every time I hear that riff ... it rocks! The power ballad sounds indeed as Bruce's solo material. Great stuff talking about birth and re-birth!

And the band plays on. The performance is amazing. The drums and bass are fantastic. Bruce's voice transforms the great songs into unparalleled hymns of epic proportions. The man is unbelievable. I really hope he can deliver those songs live flawless! He usually does!

Can't way to see them. I've checked the setlist and it was a huge surprise (that is ... a pleasant one)

Up the Irons!

Better question: Are we bumping dead threads to add something to the discussion or to spam?

Back