Adrian Smith

Some people just have a good memory for detail. I do - there are episodes from the '80s and even the '70s which I still remember as vividly as if they had happened yesterday. Not everything that happened then, just certain specific episodes. And more which I could recall with a bit of thought if provided with suitable triggers - like photographs for example. So I didn't have a problem with that aspect at all. You are more likely to remember stuff in the first place if you were engaged with it at the time (as Adrian clearly was), after that it's just a case of finding the right triggers to access it again.
I really have trouble with believing everything, for instance, the exact places where the fish appeared in the water, what kind of gear of technique he used (remember; he fished thousands of times probably). It's described well, but no.... His memory would be over the top. This goes further than things like smell. This is about way more exact things. He indeed tells it as if it was yesterday. It's not just reading someone's biography and/or stories from the past. This is stepping into someone's life with a time machine.

Last edited:
It is quite funny how on the chapter dedicated to fishing in Paris he talks about fishing stories while he was recording Brave New World in winter and The Book of Souls in winter. And then, he talks about going fishing in Suresnes (where Guillaume Tell studios can be found) between recording sessions in spring. Initially I thought it was a mistake, but the photo accompanying the story also mentions spring and looks quite recent. My bet is on spring of 2019... :)

I really have trouble with believing everything, for instance, the exact places where the fish appeared in the water, what kind of gear of technique he used (remember; he fished thousands of times probably). It's described well, but no.... His memory would be over the top. This goes further than things like smell. This is about way more exact things. He indeed tells it if it was yesterday. It's not just reading someone's biography and/or stories from the past. This is stepping into someone's life with a time machine.
I would not be surprised if he kept a journal.

It is quite funny how on the chapter dedicated to fishing in Paris he talks about fishing stories while he was recording Brave New World in winter and The Book of Souls in winter. And then, he talks about going fishing in Suresnes (where Guillaume Tell studios can be found) between recording sessions in spring. Initially I thought it was a mistake, but the photo accompanying the story also mentions spring and looks quite recent. My bet is on spring of 2019... :)
Adrian is a spoiler :D

What a coincidence, several of the other guys in Maiden where there as well. Wonder if they had a chance to catch up.

I have nearly finished reading the book and I am enjoying it more than I was expecting! I have no interest in fishing, but Adrian can write some nice stories and the Maiden-related bits are quite interesting and well interwoven with the narration.

That being said, I am not sure I would read the book again and, although this is not a competition, I found Bruce’s autobiography much more interesting.

Nevertheless, Adrian's book is well-written and the content flows really well (might be all the talk about waterways :lol:).

I wonder if the flow would be that good if Steve ever writes his own book. I mean, we might end up with something like this:

Chapter 1. The Early Days

Some bits about being born in the East End, his formative years and then some footie talk, followed by:

I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham

Woohoo Woohoohoo Woohoohoo

Last edited:
I have nearly finished reading the book and I am enjoying it more than I was expecting! I have no interest in fishing, but Adrian can write some nice stories and the Maiden-related bits are quite interesting and well interwoven with the narration.

That being said, I am not sure I would read the book again and, although this is not a competition, I found Bruce’s autobiography much more interesting.

Nevertheless, Adrian's book is well-written and the content flows really well (might be all the talk about waterways :lol:).

I wonder if the flow would be that good if Steve ever writes his own book. I mean, we might end up with something like this:

Chapter 1. The Early Days

Some bits about being born in the East End, his formative years and then some footie talk, followed by:

I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham
I trained for West Ham

Woohoo Woohoohoo Woohoohoo
I don't remember where Steve made an interview in January or February , before the coronavirus. He was touring and promoting the British Lion album. He talked about his likes for architecture and interior design. Although I remember his Essex house and he had a really bad taste for interior design to be honest.

Amazon finally updated and said I should get the book on Election Day, 11/3. Hopefully it won’t be a consolation prize.

Back