Adrian Smith

Yeah

Adrian used a technique in a live version of Wickerman that he also used in Bruce's Road to Hell, the article claims this is a "rip off". Imagine how little music there would be if individual techniques could only be used once :facepalm:

The same lick is used in the outro solo in Psycho Motel's Something Real.
A lot of the solos on Welcome to the World have licks that were used in solos on Accident of Birth.

Maybe the author can dedicate a complete Youtube channel to the topic.

Yeah

The same lick is used in the outro solo in Psycho Motel's Something Real.
A lot of the solos on Welcome to the World have licks that were used in solos on Accident of Birth.

Maybe the author can dedicate a complete Youtube channel to the topic.
I'd suggest the author to listen to some AC/DC or Motörhead and find some comparisons there.

Welcome to the Pit solo is straight of one of those albums as well, maybe sins of your father?

Good catch.

Both Pit and Cain sound like they could've been on the Psycho Motel's 1st album. Remove "classic metal" drum groove and you're 85% there even with Bruce on vocals.

The impact of Accident of Birth (and Roy Z) on Smith's playing is very transparent when you compare State of Mind to Welcome to the World.

Dark side of Aquarius in the solo. The last few notes of the solo, the descending lick, for a second very similar to a solo on PRR's White Sheet Robes.

And locations such as these:
On an autumn afternoon in 1980 Adrian crossed the Lea Bridge Roundabout, heading towards Upper Clapton. Then by chance, he suddenly saw two familiar figures walking towards him. Dave and Steve. The rest is history.

1599334082643.png
1599334347851.png

1599386491005.png1599386512780.png1599386491005.png

Last edited:
One has to laugh after reading moronic interpretations like this of what a musician has said:

:lol: :lol:
As the person who conducted this interview, yeah, I find this headline a little infuriating. I've studied Adrian's style, and taught his solos on my YouTube channel, and that's why I asked the question. It was a fantastic interaction, and his response when I pointed out that he was using the same lick was brilliant, and quite funny! What you can read in the whole interview is the flow of a conversation, and not an accusation about 'ripping off Bruce Dickinson'. Blimey. Ok, now where's my San Dimas SDX...

Adrian was interviewed early today at Times Radio. You can listen again (at least in the UK) here:

You can listen to Adrian 1 hour and 35 minutes into the show.

Roughly 1 hour and 49 minutes into the show, when asked about how democratic the songwriting is, Adrian says that is pretty democratic now. He mentions that Steve used to be the main songwriter, but now he is more a producer/arranger and into lyrics. He then says, and I quote, “Quite a lot of the time Janick and I will come up with the music”. Then he says, thinking twice, “On this last err... couple of albums I’ve gone back to writing with Bruce a little bit”.

1 hour and 59 minutes into the interview Adrian talks a bit more about how he writes with Bruce, playing him lots of things and Bruce reacting to them if he feels inspired. Bruce carries with him a book full of lyrics and song-titles and would open the book and find something that would fit with what Adrian had played.

I would not be surprised to see some Smith/Dickinson songs on Maiden’s next album, whenever they decide to release it.

Last edited:
Yep works for me too.
We're in for a streak of boring Smith interviews, like we had boring Dickinson interviews where it's all the same talk. About Wasted Years, getting into the band, fishing, etc.

Back