Adrian Smith

Hey nice! Thanks for the research! ;)

Still sounds good aye? Even if it's not the whole song, still an appropriate birthday present for Powergirl! :)

Forostar said:
Hey nice! Thanks for the research! ;)

Still sounds good aye? Even if it's not the whole song, still an appropriate birthday present for Powergirl! :)

Can we confirm who is singing in the song? It sounds like Dave to me, with H in the back......but then again, Im not too sure.

Well, its just listening to it and comparing it to the other songs, makes me think its Dave. He does sound similar to Adrian's original singing, but Id put that down to them being friends and assumedly coming from a similar area in childhood and this having perhaps similar accents.
Hmm, we need someone who's an expert on Adrian's voice, lol. I have a hard time distinguishing his voice from half of the Urchin recordings (as I believe they hired a singer for some of the time).

If it really is Adrian, then wow, his voice is far better than before. If hes willing to do this one track, maybe he might do something else again? I hope so.

Nah, I'd say that it's Dave because the voice and singing style is the same as the first song on the list (I haven't listened to the second one).

Wow, that's tough to make out! It sounds like H, but when I think about the Hackney show, well, this is a studio recording. I didn't know Dave and H sounded so similar!

...and I thought Bad Company was an American band too... :blush: I never knew! LOL

Ardius: On that Urchin stuff, wasn't David Hall the vocalist? *Going off of the wiki article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urchin_%28band%29

Powergirl81 said:
Wow, that's tough to make out! It sounds like H, but when I think about the Hackney show, well, this is a studio recording. I didn't know Dave and H sounded so similar!

...and I thought Bad Company was an American band too... :blush: I never knew! LOL

Ardius: On that Urchin stuff, wasn't David Hall the vocalist? *Going off of the wiki article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urchin_%28band%29

Im not sure about that. There wasnt a reference to a source or anything so I have no idea if its true or not.

Now ive obtained the Psycho Motel bootleg ive been looking for, ive uploaded a couple of songs at the traders permission!
www.myspace.com/psychomotel

Enjoy!
The setlist on the bootleg is as follows:
1. Killing Time (cut, its the end of the song)
2. World's On Fire
3. Psycho Motel
4. Rage
5. Time is a Hunter
6. (Can't) Wait (featured on the Japenese release of State of Mind)
7. Last Goodbye (featured on the Japenese release of State of Mind)

Its the same recording from the one listed on the commentary (Iron Maiden, X-Factour, Nottingham 2/2/1996). Ive been searching for at least 2 years now, ever since seeing it listed on the commentary, actually. Its fairly good quality, not the best, but good enough to hear everything and be a worthwhile rarity. However, because of its rarity, Im unable to share with anyone, so please dont ask! I asked the trader for permission and he only allowed me to upload to myspace only, I respect his decision and I will not break my promise to not share it. So, enjoy it while you can!

I should have posted this earlier but only just found it again after finally logging onto my myspace fanpages, I had asked Bob Richards (drummer, The Untouchables) about whether Adrian had recorded any albums or anything more live from the period and he replied:
"hi, i did an albums worth of studio recordings with Ade, i also think he has some live stuff as well, although i wasnt on it.Bernie Marsden co wrote some of the tracks with Ade,every time i see Bertnie he says that he wants to get the album out,who knows!!.
cheers
Bob"

Just throwing that out there ;)

Also, I've recently been asked to ask Richard Young about the "truth" around ASAP playing live, so I'll post here when he responds if anyone is interested. If anyone wants me to ask him or Bob or Andy Makin (singer, Psycho Motel) about anything, I will happily ask them.

Adrian is "Ade"?  That's interesting. :)  But sure, ask ahead.

On a slightly unrelated note, I played "Reach Out" by Maiden with Adrian on vocals to some of my friends, and they liked it, even the non-metal ones. :)

Invader said:
On a slightly unrelated note, I played "Reach Out" by Maiden with Adrian on vocals to some of my friends, and they liked it, even the non-metal ones. :)

It's logical because it sounds more poppy. I remember that my brother (also not a metalhead) liked it a lot as well.

But on the opposite side, I'm seem to find very people who like Psycho Motel.....which is a shame really, most that like Adrian's solo stuff prefer ASAP or Urchin. And everyone else either doesn't like it because they don't like grunge (or at least, that kind of sound) or don't like it because its not different enough to some of its clear influences.
I think its a shame really, because in my opinion its the strongest material Adrian wrote out of his solo stuff.

Sorry for the double post.
But heres Richard Young's response about ASAP playing live, quashing all that has been said about them never playing live...

"-We did sort of!!....I seem to remember a gig at The George Robey Pub in Finsbury Park LONDON & a couple of other places...We also played at some charity shows organized by Pat Cash & John Mcenroe, but I think we only did 2 or 3 songs from the ASAP album at these...it was, to quote the Beatles '20 years ago today'...."

Adrian Smith guests on Dave Colwell album - release in June

More than 2 and a half years since Ardius' post:

http://www.bucketandco.com/

Dave 'Bucket' Colwell To Release Long Awaited Album on Reality

AAO Music is proud to announce the release of Dave 'Bucket' Colwell's album Guitars, Beers & Tears on the REALITY label on June 8, 2010.

Not since his contributions on the Bad Company releases Company of Strangers and Tales Told and Untold has Colwell written and performed so extensively on an album.

Guitars, Beers & Tears  has been a labor of love for Colwell which has been over three years in the making.  Colwell wrote and produced the entire album which is a classic dedication to rock music.

In order to complete the album 'Bucket' enlisted the help of his  many friends and colleagues from his early years working with Iron Maiden through his 14 year tenure with  Bad Company. The culmination is a 12 song classic album performed by an amazing group of rock stars and showcases the ever growing talent of Dave 'Bucket' Colwell as a writer and guitarist.  

Peter G. Kuys, Chairman of AAO Music, has been personally involved in staring this project. When asked about Guitars, Beers & Tears, Kuys said "this is a great rock project for our REALITY label and a chance to revisit our rock roots in 2010. I feel this album has the ability to be one of the best rock albums of the 21st Century.  Dave is not only an exceptional rock guitarist but is also one of rock's greatest writers -- a true Rock God."

(Bragging starts here)
I met him! Back in 95 I bought a bear at a bar in my local small town in Norway. I looked to my left and there's Adrian Smith. THE Adrian Smith of my favourite band of all time was sitting two meters from me enjoying a beer at a bar in my local small town in Norway OF ALL PLACES! Really nice guy! Autographes got signed pictures were taken.
(End of Bragging)

Back