Adrian Smith

Good thing about it tho, there are no metal riffs, which mean they're probably on IM17.

Sorry to be negative 7th and Jer, but you guys liked the songs did you not?
I am not impressed by these, how could the rest be different? Nice to read this about the Nicko song. I'll see it surface soon enough on YouTube.

Edit: o wait, the whole premiere is in that post, now.

The rest of the songs have a similar groove, but there are more guitar solos. Solar Fire is a rocker song, there is another in a Free style as Adrian said that he wanted that kind of vibe…Take a listen.

Sorry to be negative 7th and Jer, but you guys liked the songs did you not?
I am not impressed by these
Did you enjoy Adrian’s other more rock-leaning fare like Urchin, A.S.A.P., and Psycho Motel? This isn’t too far from that, it’s just bluesy and more refined than his earlier solo work, with more interplay between the vocals and instruments.

I could understand if someone was turned off by Kotzen’s voice, but it didn’t bother me.

I think it's pretty far from it. I do not like the more bluesy / Southern rock style.

What makes it more difficult are the vocals. I can't stand the higher Kotzen bleating (as if I hear some autotune as well, and if not then it's his own sound that irritates), and to be honest I am not fond of Adrian's constant loud forced bluesy singing as well (bending his voice a little too often on purpose), on this record. I do not think this is per se his only manner of singing. Instead I'm telling myself this is his choice to do it like this. I like him way better on A.S.a.P and Urchin.

Nicko's drumming on that song (which I do not like much) sounds like blunt hammering of a snare drum, with not the most attractive sound either.
Best songs for me are the calmer, more melancholic/brooding/threatening ones like "You Don't Know Me" and "'Til Tomorrow" (bit of a messy end this one though ;) ). And the chorus of "Running". :--)

I'll play it more often.

Last edited:
Nicko's drumming on that song (which I do not like much)
Have an additional listen, the kicks are great and some doubles are not in pattern that Maiden uses. On the first and only run of the song I thought to myself, this is what VXI intention should have sounded like.

Did you enjoy Adrian’s other more rock-leaning fare like Urchin, A.S.A.P., and Psycho Motel? This isn’t too far from that, it’s just bluesy and more refined than his earlier solo work, with more interplay between the vocals and instruments.

I could understand if someone was turned off by Kotzen’s voice, but it didn’t bother me.

Psycho Motel is hard rock and alt metal tho.

Have an additional listen, the kicks are great and some doubles are not in pattern that Maiden uses. On the first and only run of the song I thought to myself, this is what VXI intention should have sounded like.
Will do, cheers. I heard it through my phone which is not good, especially for bass drums indeed.

Well there's nothing quite heavy as the title track of that record, on the Smith/Kotzen stuff.

Reactions: Jer
There was brief unboxing video of the album, and while H opened the package he managed somehow accidently to show his home address. It was visible and no wonder, I suppose now the video has been pulled away. Atleast I couldn't find it anymore on the official Iron Maiden facebook-page.

Last edited:
There was brief unboxing video of the album, and while H opened the package he managed somehow accidently to show his home address. It was visible and no wonder, I suppose now the video has been pulled away. Atleast I couldn't find it anymore on the official Iron Maiden facebook-page.

As if where Adrian lives was such a secret... That being said, I completely understand them hiding that bit of information.

Yes it was.

Nope it wasn’t. The information is publicly available in the UK (dangerous, I know, considering how obsessed some Maiden fans can be).

misery.jpg

It's not a bad album, it's fun, melodic and with some nice choruses. I really like Adrian's voice.
(though I like A.S.A.P., The Untouchables and the Urchin stuff way more).

I enjoy some of the songs - the three singles released prior to the album are good, the end of the closing song with the long solo ('Til Tomorrow) is great and the best song on the album is ''Solar Fire'' (great performance from Nicko) IMO.

Great, looks like this is going to go on for another 10 years or so. Yippee.

*interest in non-Maiden Adrian Smith decreases to a bottom low*

Last edited:
Back