Adrian Smith Under Rated?!

A

Anonymous

I got the recent issue of Guitarist Magazine(UK) and it had a feature on 101 of the worlds most under rated guitarists. Some obvious ones were there like The Edge from U2 and C.C. DeVille of Poison but much to my surprise so was Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden!!!

They Said he was "Easily the most technically proficient guitarist to ever tread the boards with Maiden". Which I think is about right.

Under Rated????? They Obviously never been to this board then!! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think he is underrated. Amongst maiden fans, he is god but others, i know a few, dont rate him highly. He doesnt have enough respect in the 'metal community'.

IT IS TRUE THAT ADRIAN IS UNDER-RATED, BUT STILL, THE FACT REMAINS, HE IS THE LEAST SKILLED FROM THE 3 GUITARISTS, BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN HE IS NOT AMAZINGLY GOOD.

UP THE IRON! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Whoops! Caps-lock slipped again [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, Adrian and (IMO) Davey have both been under-rated by other communities, not necessarily Iron Maiden communities either. The 'Metal' world I think respects them, but those who have not listened closely will tend to under-rate them

all three of the maiden guitarists are underrated...hell everyone in the band is underrated...as is the band as a whole...

[!--QuoteBegin-Evilution+Oct 18 2004, 10:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Evilution @ Oct 18 2004, 10:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]all three of the maiden guitarists are underrated...hell everyone in the band is underrated...as is the band as a whole...
[snapback]89308[/snapback]​
[/quote]

yess!!!
personally i think adrian is most uderrated
and janick always seems to be a "new" member in a band

[!--QuoteBegin-BruceDickinson+Oct 17 2004, 11:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(BruceDickinson @ Oct 17 2004, 11:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]IT IS TRUE THAT ADRIAN IS UNDER-RATED, BUT STILL, THE FACT REMAINS, HE IS THE LEAST SKILLED FROM THE 3 GUITARISTS, BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN HE IS NOT AMAZINGLY GOOD.

UP THE IRON!   [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]89287[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Least skilled??! First of all, how do you define skilled? Fast playing or nice playing or intreresting playing? I would say H is the most intreresting guitarist in maiden, because his solos are soo varied!

Please don't feed the troll, Scream for me Stockholm [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Adrian Smith's solo on "Stranger In A Strange Land" is what the sun shone for all these years.
Adrian Smith outshines God.
Adrian Smith created the Universe so he would have a place to play guitar.
Adrian Smith will never die. The world will die around him.

Perun is right
Perun is absolutely 100% correct
Adrian Smith is The Almighty
Adrian Smith is lord (of the flies)

I think the three guitarists of Maiden are under rated because they're not 'guitar heroes' :

- They don't play on their own, but with the rest of the band.
- The music is more important for them than their Ego.
- They don't play a 3-minutes-long solo in the middle of each song.

They're 'Gods' in the Maiden community, ignored in the Rock-Metal community, and totally unknown in the rest of the world.

And I think it's good.

[!--QuoteBegin-dogigniter+Oct 18 2004, 11:22 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Oct 18 2004, 11:22 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Perun is right
Perun is absolutely 100% correct
Adrian Smith is The Almighty
Adrian Smith is lord (of the flies)
[snapback]89329[/snapback]​
[/quote]

agreed [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Oct 18 2004, 11:40 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Oct 18 2004, 11:40 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Please don't feed the troll, Scream for me Stockholm   [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]89320[/snapback]​
[/quote]sorry, but i cant take these insults!! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I don't see how Iron Maiden as a whole can be underrated... They have influenced dozens of new bands and spawned dozens of more clones... a band that is underrated simply doesn't do that (Helloween, anyone [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]).

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Oct 18 2004, 09:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Oct 18 2004, 09:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't see how Iron Maiden as a whole can be underrated... They have influenced dozens of new bands and spawned dozens of more clones... a band that is underrated simply doesn't do that (Helloween, anyone [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]).
[snapback]89402[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yes, but we're talking about the guitarists, and not the band : of course, Helloween is influenced by Maiden, but I don't think we can say that Kai Hansen or Michael Weikat (bad spelling, sorry...) are influenced by Dave Murray and Adrian Smith...

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Oct 18 2004, 07:28 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Oct 18 2004, 07:28 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think the three guitarists of Maiden are under rated because they're not 'guitar heroes' :

- They don't play on their own, but with the rest of the band.
- The music is more important for them than their Ego.
- They don't play a 3-minutes-long solo in the middle of each song.

They're 'Gods' in the Maiden community, ignored in the Rock-Metal community, and totally unknown in the rest of the world.

And I think it's good.
[snapback]89341[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Truth. There are guitarists out there who are better, however; I won't say that Iron Maiden are the best in the genre (in terms of absolute technical ability), because they simply aren't. However, they do have something that many other bands lack, and that is composition. They know what notes work, what riffs will bring out a song, and how to best create a guitar solo to express themselves. No matter how fast you can play (Metallica, anyone?), if you lack creativity and expression, then you have only fought half the battle.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Oct 18 2004, 04:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Oct 18 2004, 04:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't see how Iron Maiden as a whole can be underrated... They have influenced dozens of new bands and spawned dozens of more clones... a band that is underrated simply doesn't do that (Helloween, anyone [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]).
[snapback]89402[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Iron Maiden are not underrated, but they are underappreciated. Many people have never even heard of them, and yet Maiden is one of the key influences behind so much music out there even today, along with classics like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

I dont believe I've ever heard someone under-rate Adrian or Dave. Actually, many people over-rate them (but don't get me wrong, they're excellent players) It nearly always seems to be only Janick gets under-rated by people. Most under-rated guitarists are from under-rated or relatively unknown bands. Maiden certainly is not either of those.

I'm sure if the author(s) of that article had visited this board, they would've removed Adrian from that list. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-BruceDickinson+Oct 17 2004, 10:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(BruceDickinson @ Oct 17 2004, 10:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]IT IS TRUE THAT ADRIAN IS UNDER-RATED, BUT STILL, THE FACT REMAINS, HE IS THE LEAST SKILLED FROM THE 3 GUITARISTS, BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN HE IS NOT AMAZINGLY GOOD.

UP THE IRON!   [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]89287[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Least skilled? He not fast but pleeezzze!? Hes incredlibly skilled. The most skilled of the 3,(IMO). Very technical style. Alot of speed doesnt mean your a great guitar player. I am a guitar player and I gotta say, H`s parts are the hardest to play.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Oct 18 2004, 05:15 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Oct 18 2004, 05:15 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Adrian Smith's solo on "Stranger In A Strange Land" is what the sun shone for all these years.
Adrian Smith outshines God.
Adrian Smith created the Universe so he would have a place to play guitar.
Adrian Smith will never die. The world will die around him.
[snapback]89325[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Uh oh. Here we go again! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Adrian Smith is the King of the Beasts.
Adrian Smith's guitar playing makes young women smile and grown men cry.
Adrian Smith has seven college degrees, in subjects so advanced you've never heard of them.
Adrian Smith can write the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin.
Adrian Smith has a photographic memory and superb reflexes.
Adrian Smith is larger than life itself.

*sigh*
Afcourse Adrian Smith is underated. You are not workshiping him enough! You all should be ahamed of yourselves!

Back