AC/DC

I'll be honest, I wasn't keeping up with AC/DC in 1995 and only got the album years later, and don't think I've listened to it more than twice. My memory is I didn't like how it sounded, maybe I'll give it another listen.

I had it on in the car this morning, only got about half way through.

Impressions:

The sound is fine, I'm not sure why I thought it was bad before, maybe I didn't play it loud enough, it's definitely way better sounding than Blow up your video or Fly on the Wall. I wouldn't want AC/DC to be sounding too different to this

Of the songs I heard it was very similar in standard to the albums that come after it, listenable yet not particularly great.

The sleazy lyrics were terrible, even allowing for it being AC/DC.

Burning Alive was starting to play when I got into the car park, and this sounded like it was going to be a good track.

I had it on in the car this morning, only got about half way through.

Impressions:

The sound is fine, I'm not sure why I thought it was bad before, maybe I didn't play it loud enough, it's definitely way better sounding than Blow up your video or Fly on the Wall. I wouldn't want AC/DC to be sounding too different to this

Of the songs I heard it was very similar in standard to the albums that come after it, listenable yet not particularly great.

I listened to Ballbreaker following our discussion the other day and I agree with you. It sounds much better than I remembered. I think the material is good AC/DC, but I might be biased as that was the album they were supporting when I saw them live for the first time.

The sleazy lyrics were terrible, even allowing for it being AC/DC.

Angus and Malcolm certainly are not good lyricists.

I think AC/DC last great album was For Those About to Rock.
After that they've had some good songs but there isn't any album that I would say "you must listen to this from start to finish" or that is essential to their carreer.

I didn't like Rock or Bust, for me it was one of their weakest albums, but everyone's entitled to their opinions.

IMO Razor's Edge deserves to be counted as a great album, even if it was a bit top-heavy

Agreed. I might overrate it a bit as it was the album that was out when I was getting into music, but most of the tracks are good, and even the ridiculous sleazy songs like Mistress for Christmas and Got you by the Balls are intersting musically.

Shot of Love is AC/DC''s Judas be my Guide.

33/365
Acdc_Powerage.JPG

Powerage – AC/DC

Rock N Roll Damnation - A quick opener kicks off the album, Bon Scotts vocals are charismatic and vicious as ever. The Youngs handle their guitars greatly and the rhythm section puts in its work. A strong start to the album - 8.5/10

Down Payment Blues - A slower intro leads into a mid tempo track, lyrics and vocals for me aren't pulling me in, but the band sounds wonderful on this track. This track shows just how strong the entire Rhythm section of this band was in their prime. -7/10

Gimme a Bullet - A stomping beat opens up with a fairly upbeat track about killing ones self. A more enjoyable song than the previous one but it isn't an outstanding track - 7.5/10

Riff Raff - A kick ass track, I love the guitar riff that introduces the song; Vicious vocals from Bon, face paced and raw rocking. - 9/10

Sin City - This track has grown on me over the past few years. I used to not enjoy it at all now I quite enjoy it (Which was the case with ALL AC/DC at one point). Excellent musicianship by the band on this mid paced rocker - 9/10

What’s Next To The Moon - Call and answer style guitar with the band but to a lesser extent than in Rosie from the previous album. More subdued in general. Song is overall fairly enjoyable - 8/10

Gone Shootin’ - A slow groove kicks off another more subdued track; Midtempo throughout, Angus is fairly restrained for the majority of this track, every so often getting more elaborate with his solos. - 8/10

Up To My Neck In You - Returning to a faster paced style, Bon's vocals are really suited to a faster and raw track like this one - 8.5/10

Kicked In The Teeth - A vocal intro leads into a fast paced track which reminds me a little of Go Down from LTBR, but this song is a strong way to end off the album - 8.5/10

Overall 82%

Sounds exactly like what you thought it was going to sound like:edmetal:

Opening riff sounds like a real slow version of Motorhead's Bomber

Not bad. but it doesn't up their standards. It just a little flat. Anyway, good news that AC/DC came back.
(is the radio version or the album version, I mean…where's the solo? )

Back