A Metalhead's Confession

WOW thanks for the links guys! I knew about Metroid metal but not the other site, he did do a good job indeed.

As for Keane, I've only heard their single "somewhere only we know" and I liked it a lot VERY, EXTREMELY Paul McCartney.... which I liked hehe.

I love Dire Straits [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I extremly dislike keane, they succed in making me depressed, especially with their songs like bedshaped and such

[!--QuoteBegin-7th Death of a 7th Death+Apr 21 2005, 02:12 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(7th Death of a 7th Death @ Apr 21 2005, 02:12 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...Led Zappelin...
[snapback]102645[/snapback]​
[/quote]

In another thread, bocloc spelled it Zepellin.

This isn't hard, folks.

Z - E - P - P - E - L - I - N.

Next person who spells it wrong gets spanked! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:guns:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/guns[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'guns[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [img src=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/forum/uploads/av-1965.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

Take that, you savage! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The only metal band I listen to is Iron Maiden. I usually only listen to Country Music when IM is not in the cd player, and I never listen to IM while on a date.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Apr 21 2005, 06:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Apr 21 2005, 06:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I got you all beat for embarrassing ... I'm a fan of Hall & Oates.
[snapback]102637[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Man Eater is a great song! For myself, I listen The Offspring, Simple Plan, eXtério, Les pistolets Roses (who are 2 great hard-rock french canadian band) Nickelback, AC/DC, System Of A Down, Green Day, a lot of 70's music and a lot of dance-house music from the 90's!!!

To tell the truth, mainly Metal but, I do listen to some non metal stuff like Pink Floyd... I can't think of any... [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think most people in this board have very varied tastes in music (which is healthy) and agree heavy metal is a great (if not the greatest) genre of all or simply love Iron Maiden. Personally I listen to everything but only buy Metal (which isn't healthy). I need to expand my non-metal section of my music library but i'm still very proud of it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I also listen to a lot of "classical" music. Why do I put "classical" in "quotes"? Because what most people call "classical" music is actually divisible into several distinct styles...

Baroque (leading exponents: J.S. Bach, Vivaldi, Handel) ... not really my favorite, but good for relaxation.

Classical (leading exponents: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven) ... Great stuff. Beethoven is my favorite composer. You haven't heard real music until you've seen a live performance of his 3rd Symphony.

Romatic (leading exponents: Brahms, Wagner, Chopin, Schumann, many more) ... half of it is superb, half crap. I particularly dig Wagner and Mendelssohn.

20th-Century Orchestral (leading exponents: Stravinsky, Bartok) ... interesting, but a bit weird. Takes real concentration to enjoy. Schoenberg's "Transfigured Night" is my favorite from this period. To give you an idea how disturbing some of it is: Bartok's music was used as incidental music in some early Friday the 13th movies.

I personally have a very varied musical taste. I really can't list it all because that would take ages. I recently bought a new CD shelf and subdivided into Hard 'n' Heavy and non. Needless to say, the "non" part is more than three times as much and profiles in virtually everything from Beatles to Dvorak, from Jefferson Airplane to Carl Maria von Weber and from Pink Floyd to the Don Cossacs. I also dig people like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Joan Baez, not to mention Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors or Dire Straits. My favourites, however, are Queen and Led Zeppelin, and these are among the five artists I own the complete, or almost complete discographies of. There's only a few musical styles I really can't stand, among others baroque and hip hop (not that I think it's fair to list them both in the same sentence, I just don't like both).

I have the final fantasy piano collections on my pc. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+May 10 2005, 08:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ May 10 2005, 08:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I have the final fantasy piano collections on my pc. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]104082[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I have some Final Fantasy stuff also...and music from The Legend of Zelda games, and random Super Mario tunes... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Bruce Dickinson
Black Sabbath
Billy Idol
Crystal Empire
Crass
Chuck Berry
Dio
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dream Theather
Europe
Freedom Call
Foo Fighters
Guns n' Roses
Green Day
Helloween
Hammerfall
Hellacopters
HEAVY SNOWFALL!!!! my band,hehe
IRON MAIDEN
Iced Earth
Immortal Avenger
Jimi Hendrix
Judas Priest
Jørn Lande
Johnny Cash
Kiss
Korn
Led Zeppelin
Luca Turilli
Masterplan
Metallica
Motorhead
Mötley Crüe
Nirvana
Nazareth
Nightwish
Ozzy Osbourne
Offspring
Psycho Motel
Probot
Quiot Riot
Queen
Queens Of The Stoneage
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Ramones
Sons of Angels
Sex Pistols
Scorpions
Steve Vai
Sweet
Slade
Status Quo
T.N.T
Twisted Sister
U.F.O
Velvet Revolver
Van Halen
Whitesnake
Wishbone Ash
White Stripes
Wig Wam
X-Emoary
Yngwie Malmsteen
ZZ Top

And some other that i cant think of right now, [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+May 10 2005, 09:12 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ May 10 2005, 09:12 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I personally have a very varied musical taste. I really can't list it all because that would take ages. I recently bought a new CD shelf and subdivided into Hard 'n' Heavy and non. Needless to say, the "non" part is more than three times as much and profiles in virtually everything from Beatles to Dvorak, from Jefferson Airplane to Carl Maria von Weber and from Pink Floyd to the Don Cossacs. I also dig people like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Joan Baez, not to mention Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors or Dire Straits.
[snapback]104067[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Same here really. I listen to a bit of everything pretty much. I do find baroque music quite boring on the whole though, and I find R&B/garage to be extremely annoying. And all those artists you listed are amazing, and I have every Queen album apart from a couple that I didn't like (Hot Space & Flash Gordon)!

But there is one hip hop artist you might really like; DJ Shadow. I know a lot of people who hate hip hop with a passion but love his stuff. All his music is made using only old rare prog, jazz, blues, funk... vinyls and he turns it into a very heavy form of instrumental hip hop. I remember when he was on Radio 1 Essential Mix (the UK's main dance show) and loads of people tuned in not knowing what to expect and were treated to an hour mix of nothing but extremely obscure '60s psych garage and blues records!

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+May 10 2005, 04:05 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ May 10 2005, 04:05 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I also listen to a lot of "classical" music. Why do I put "classical" in "quotes"? Because what most people call "classical" music is actually divisible into several distinct styles...

Baroque (leading exponents: J.S. Bach, Vivaldi, Handel) ... not really my favorite, but good for relaxation.

Classical (leading exponents: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven) ... Great stuff. Beethoven is my favorite composer. You haven't heard real music until you've seen a live performance of his 3rd Symphony.

Romatic (leading exponents: Brahms, Wagner, Chopin, Schumann, many more) ... half of it is superb, half crap. I particularly dig Wagner and Mendelssohn.

20th-Century Orchestral (leading exponents: Stravinsky, Bartok) ... interesting, but a bit weird. Takes real concentration to enjoy. Schoenberg's "Transfigured Night" is my favorite from this period. To give you an idea how disturbing some of it is: Bartok's music was used as incidental music in some early Friday the 13th movies.
[snapback]104052[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I studied the history of modern and what led to the movement (basically the period 1880-present) in college, I covered in detail Wagner, Satie, Stravinsky, Cage, Stockhausen, Debussy and Bartok. Absolutely amazing stuff! But what other composers do you recommend other than these? It's a genre I really want to explore further.

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+May 12 2005, 08:10 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ May 12 2005, 08:10 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]But what other composers do you recommend other than these?  It's a genre I really want to explore further.
[snapback]104399[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Sorry AM, but in that particular genre it seems your knowledge matches mine. I haven't studied modern music all that deeply - I've always been more interested in the Classical/Romatic eras. This is because I was playing string bass in my college orchestra at the time of my studies, and that particular orchestra didn't play much modern music. I studied the older stuff because I had to know how to play it.

But it's possible that if I go through my CD collection, I might find some gems I've forgotten about ... so I'll do that sometime in the next few days and let you know what I find.

well my playlist has some of Mozart and Beethovens work [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Jackson 7 - Abc is there...
Forgot to mention Bach? And glass philip.
I am, a huge fan of classic music. No i am not joking -
Some of those symphonies are really brilliant, like, Beethoven - His fast paced symphonies are just great.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+May 10 2005, 03:05 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ May 10 2005, 03:05 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I also listen to a lot of "classical" music. Why do I put "classical" in "quotes"? Because what most people call "classical" music is actually divisible into several distinct styles...

[snapback]104052[/snapback]​
[/quote]

You mentioned Mozart, have you heard Piano Sonata No. 11 in A Major, Third movement? [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] also used as soundtrack for Truman Show, really brilliant piano/keyboard work, the composition that got me into classical music.

Back