A Father at 13 years of age

OH, yes, that is the type of thing that can and does take place.  But, as far as I know, it isn't easy, and there is a lot of red tape involved.  Honestly, IMO, it is a very grey area.

Onhell said:
Tell China that...

Well, China gives you the right...they just charge you more $$$$ if you have too many.  You can have as many as you want if you want to pay.  Which, honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing here.  If you live in the city and have too many kids, it costs you, instead of giving you a tax break (rural China isn't as affected as urban China by that law).

Onhell said:
Tell China that...

I did, but Premier Wen doesn't seem too interested to listen.  Unfortunately, the Chinese have different opinions than the west on what a fundamental human right is.  For instance, we don't practise eugenics, nor do we allow child labour.  We also don't grease our tanks with students.

See, exactly.  This is the problem - China, like the rest of the Eastern World, has different standards than us.  Now, if I were a politician, I'd pressure China to alter its policies, but we don't have much sway....because EVERYTHING is made in China.

I was reading somewhere recently, that because of our recession, many chinese products aren't being purchased, and China is now feeling it.

Yes.  The Chinese system requires much larger growth than the North American economic system.  For instance, the USA/Canada can survive and thrive on growth rates of 1.5% and higher.  Anything lower than that is considered stagnant.  Anything higher than 3% is a boom year.

China requires 6-12%.  This is all according to an interview I saw on CNN with Fareed Zakaria with Premier Wen.  A large part of China's economy is based on feeding supplies and expansion-materiel to China's expanding economy.  If growth drops below 6%, then it'll bottom out and possibly recess instantly.  So, with us buying less, we're hurting.

LooseCannon said:
I did, but Premier Wen doesn't seem too interested to listen.  Unfortunately, the Chinese have different opinions than the west on what a fundamental human right is.  For instance, we don't practise eugenics, nor do we allow child labour.  We also don't grease our tanks with students.

Wasted CLV said:
Nor do we paint our children's toys with lead-based paint.

We used to do all that. Just a matter a time until China catches up. I mean, you still find metal playgrounds in mexico and "choking hazards" in toys and we're "western." You can't blame it on ignorance since they (China) have brilliant philosophers of their own...

I love metal playgrounds. We had a tall metal slide, with no siderails. Best of all, when you landed, it was on asphalt. One summer we poured Wesson Oil on that motherfucker. I hate the way my kids are being brought up. But my middle daughter did me proud. My front yard and driveway is a very steep hill. I can't even make it up to the top when it snows, even with 4wd. My daughter rode her disney princess bike down it and hit the ditch so hard she bent the fron rim, flew over the handle bars , broker her collar bone and dislocated her shoulder. :yey: I was kinda glad that they wear helmets these days.

Awesome.  I think we worry a little too much about children's safety - children need to hurt.  Though, I am more likely to be upset with many parents' attitude towards their kids getting sick.  Kids getting sick is a good thing.

Dear god, I could go on and on about that.  My son broke his arm 3 times, youngest daughter once (tho that one cost me $10k).  Kids should be kids, otherwise they grow up to have no real understanding of the real world (I have some nieces and nephews that are like that).  The sick thing, 100% with you-- my ex will take my kids to the dr at the drop of a sniffle and get anti-biotics for them.  I hate that-- get sick, lay around watching tv, eating chicken soup, and get over it.  that way, at the age of 25, you won't be immune to medicine.

Yeah.  You know, I'm not really all that opposed to a 'mandatory temporary sterilization' for people under the age of, say 18.  Granted, a really difficult thing to do, and could open some really bad doors.  However, there isn't any reason that anyone under the age of 18 should be needing to have kids.  OK, I know that most temp-sterile set-ups are full of hormones, but, damn, this is going from a bad joke to a tragedy. 

There used to be a thing called shame. If you were a high school age girl and you got pregnant, it was very serious. You embarassed not only your self, but also your entire family. As our western civillization stops stigmatizing certain behaviors, we are legitimizing them and therefore condoning said behaviors. This leads to the perpetuation of these things that used to be very bad. My older brother knocked up his girlfriend when she was a junior. It was such a horrifying experience, because she almost dropped out of school. She had to actually pay a serious consequence and rearrange HER LIFE around HER BABY.  But you fast foward 22 years and the same school system  now has on site daycare for high school students who have children <_<

Whoa there.

It wasn't too long ago that women were expected to marry at 13 or 14 and start having children right away.  The concept of shame is a poor one, in this case - the thought should be that teenagers having sex should have *protected* sex.  This is where the emphasis is lacking.  Many areas in the United States and Canada that have incredibly high teen pregnancy rates are also the areas that teach abstinence as a form of sexual education - to me, teaching abstinence is fine, but teaching abstinence alone is retarded.  There is a reason why the South of the USA leads the country in teen pregnancy, teen abortions, teen STIs - because kids aren't told what to do when he puts his pee-pee in her hoo-hoo.

Teens need to be given support around sex, and people need to be open about all aspects of it.  Telling children not to have sex is not helping - it only helps to warn them that "if you have sex, you can get pregnant.  You can get diseases.  Don't feel you have to have sex - but if you as a young adult makes that decision...wear a condom.  Use contraception."

I'd go with that-- its about education, that is the key.  Make kids be sure they know what they are really getting into. 

I am just saying a little shame can go along way. I am  not saying bring back the homes for unwed mothers or anything like that. There needs to be education and support for teenagers that think they are more grown than they are. I mentioned earlier that my wife has a cousin who has 7 kids....she got pregnant at 14. She has a mother only, and the mother did'nt really say anything about her other daughter who was also 14 and getting pregnant ( she has 4 kids). but the older daughter managed to go back to school, went to college and has gotten herself on track.
Wasted CLV said:
I'd go with that-- its about education, that is the key.  Make kids be sure they know what they are really getting into. 
Kids don't know. Kids are idealistic and have'nt had the reality of having to live with the consequences of making bad decisions. Unless they are forced to put their life on hold which means no parties, Friday night dates, having to get up at 3 am with a collicky infant, not being able to buy themselves clothes because the baby needs diapers, formula and clothes, they will cling to the ideas or even if they know a peer who has had a baby, and only see the bright side. I know I sound old fashioned, but I have two daughters and if one of them came home with a bun in the oven, I know I would flip the fuck out. I know one day they will have **gasp** intercourse, but if you guys ever saw Meet the Fockers, well lets just say I am Jack Burns when it comes to my girls. Ignorance in that case is bliss.

Wasted CLV said:
However, there isn't any reason that anyone under the age of 18 should be needing to have kids.

I hate to say it, but some people already have nothing to live for at 17. Having a child prevents them for becoming fucked up for good, and the care and responsibility for a child can give them a meaning and an opportunity to become a good person after all.

Back