A discussion about Maiden's name.

Mega

Ancient Mariner
As it turns out, some people like to call Maiden "Iron".
This annoyes the hell out of me. It's like calling Led Zeppelin "Led".
What do you think?

I've never heard anyone do that.

It makes no sense, because Maiden isn't the only band that starts with "Iron". Off the top of my head, there's also Iron Savior and Iron Butterfly.

I know, and i keep telling them that but they won't listen.
It's so annoying!

I can't imagine 50,000 fans chanting IRON, IRON, IRON, IRON...at a concert, that would nearly be as bad as fans chanting JUDAS at a Priest concert

Rikstewart said:
that would nearly be as bad as fans chanting JUDAS at a Priest concert

...which I have heard once. Not by the entire audience, but by a comparatively high percentage.

About Judas...
I really did call them judas. I considered them an exception to the rule but now i see that judas is used as an adjective and not a name, can't believe i didnt get that untill now.

megadeoxys said:
A It's like calling Led Zeppelin "Led".

They call them Zep  :p

Nevertheless, I have witnessed some people call Iron Maiden Maiden, Judas Priest Judas or Priest, and Black Sabbath Sabbath.
But Iron ?? Black ?? Never. There was an 80s artist called Black and this could be very misleading  :D

I've never heard anybody call them "Iron." I've always heard them called Maiden. "Hey Guys! I'm going to see Iron when they come to Philly next summer!" Does'nt sound as good, does it?

Quetzalcoatlus said:
They call them Zep  :p

Nevertheless, I have witnessed some people call Iron Maiden Maiden, Judas Priest Judas or Priest, and Black Sabbath Sabbath.
But Iron ?? Black ?? Never. There was an 80s artist called Black and this could be very misleading  :D

Not at a particular concert.  :D

Rikstewart said:
I can't imagine 50,000 fans chanting IRON, IRON, IRON, IRON...at a concert, that would nearly be as bad as fans chanting JUDAS at a Priest concert

A fan at a concert at Manchester's Free Trade Hall on May 17, 1966, once yelled "Judas," but it was intended for Bob Dylan, not Bob Halford. What's my point? Up the IRONs!!!

Habberdasher said:
A fan at a concert at Manchester's Free Trade Hall on May 17, 1966, once yelled "Judas," but it was intended for Bob Dylan [...]

He he good point  ;) The fan did so, was because Dylan had put some 'electricity' to his sound recently...
'I don't believe you, you're a liar' Dylan replied, and started playing 'Like A Rolling Stone'

Quetzalcoatlus said:
He he good point  ;) The fan did so, was because Dylan had put some 'electricity' to his sound recently...
'I don't believe you, you're a liar' Dylan replied, and started playing 'Like A Rolling Stone'

Is there anybody out there who doesn't know that? ;)

Habberdasher said:
A fan at a concert at Manchester's Free Trade Hall on May 17, 1966, once yelled "Judas," but it was intended for Bob Dylan, not Bob Halford. What's my point? Up the IRONs!!!
Wow. Rob Halford hasn't been kalled "Bob" publicly since Sin after Sin.  :D

Perun said:
Is there anybody out there who doesn't know that? ;)

:) You're right; anybody who calls himself a Rocker, should know that incident!
Yet I'm certain, that some people here they don't, so I threw it  ;)

Sounds odd for Iron Maiden fans chanting 'Iron' during concerts.  :blink:
If I attend one I won't be chanting that word.

It's a cultural thing. Here in Brasil, we don't call people by their surname. We call them by the first name. In Argentina, although on football you see the surname of the player on his back, people call a lot by the first name (I was watching a Judas Priest vhs from their 2001 gig and they were chanting 'Judas, Judas').

We use to refer to Iron Maiden with 'Iron' - hardly with Maiden. On the gigs I attended, we were chanting 'Maiden', although. The same goes to Judas Priest and Led Zeppelin. With Sabbath and Purple, we call them by the second name - Sabbath and Purple.

Back