A Bit Of "Beyond Magnetic" From Maiden?

Hermod

Nomad
Just recently Metallica released the "Beyond Magnetic" EP which consisted of songs from the Death Magnetic recordings that were not used on the original album.

Now I was wondering, with Maiden having 3-4 year gaps between albums would you be in favour of them doing something similar i.e. releasing songs that have never been heard before in some shape or form however they were packaged?

I know inbetween albums there is invariably a Live DVD/CD issue which I absolutely love, but I do think it would be nice to hear a bit of new stuff from time to time.

I imagine they must write and record a lot more songs than those that actually make the album and it can't all be that bad as to never see the light of day. Or would you rather just wait for a new album, however long it takes to come out?

No right or wrong here folks, just interested to hear your thoughts?

Cheers

I don't get to granular with my Maiden purchases. If they release something, i'll probably buy it. I don't care if it's just a dvd of them grocery shopping.

It depends. Will it be the greatest grocery shopping video ever released?

I don't know how the Maiden recording process works now but I certainly remember thinking the same thing as the OP in the 80's / 90's only to have my hopes dashed by SH in an interview saying that they came into the studio with a minimal number of ideas and once they'd reached an album's worth they'd fine tune the songs to their final pre-production stage. Once that was cut and dried they'd record a few covers for potential b-sides but said there was rarely anything left over as if it wasn't good enough for the album cut there was no point in wasting time recording it. I'd like to think there's a dozen or so tracks that fans would really enjoy hearing some day though.

I know inbetween albums there is invariably a Live DVD/CD issue which I absolutely love, but I do think it would be nice to hear a bit of new stuff from time to time.
We do hear new stuff from time to time... when new albums get released.:p:D

Fans can be like hungry dogs sometimes, wanting to gobble up absolutely anything a band puts out even if it's nonsense (like a grocery shopping vid :D). I enjoy listening to Maiden music that hasn't been heard before, but as much as I love Maiden's work, I don't feel it absolutely necessary to hear every little idea that the band happens put to tape.

I know that in order to stay relevent these days many bands will often put out dvds and such in between album releases, but there's something I quite dig (even if it's old-fashoned) about a band that seldom does more than simply putting out records and touring.

I imagine they must write and record a lot more songs than those that actually make the album and it can't all be that bad as to never see the light of day.

No, they write and record just the songs that get released on the albums. They get together and share the song ideas, and it's basically Steve who calls the shots - when they have enough material, they compose the songs and go into the studio. The only time when they actually recorded more songs than can fit on an album was for The X-Factor - the three extra songs were released as B-sides to the singles.

Back