5 Iron Maiden songs you wish to see before they retire.

My 5 songs can all be filed under the "won´t happen" category.
Alexander The Great
The Duellists
Judas Be My Guide
Caught Somewhere In Time
Still Life

My last post in this thread went slightly off-topic, as it was more about pointing out how I've been very fortunate and witnessed about 4/5 of the songs I wished to see before they retire... And despite missing a few candidates, due to being unable to attend 2017 London shows in the end, it's been a great ride for me so far, in terms of getting to hear my favourite songs.

But since I've been able to cross out a handful of songs on the "Maiden setlist bucket list", it's interesting to take a look at completely fresh set of candidates.

I might be bending the realm of possibility a little bit, but I try to keep this list somewhat "realistic." Not that I'd complain if one day, when the times are better, they return to the stage and blast out Infinite Dreams, Alexander the Great, Still Life, Judas be My Guide, Stranger in a Strange Land and To Tame a Land, but I think it adds another level to my wishlist if there's actually a small chance for some of these songs to get actually played and wonder which those would be etc.

Anyway, here we go!

1. Paschendale
One of the era-defining songs and one of the prime examples of works where the "post-reunion" sound and line-up is at it's best. Of the very same category, I might slightly prefer Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, but there's probably more live potential in this one.

2. Still Life
Well this one is definitely far from being realistic, but of the deep cuts from the 80's, maybe not the most unrealistic to resurface. Well it didn't do that for 2012-14 and I doubt it'll do it later either, but I believe it would sound great nowadays! They've successfully dusted off many older songs in slightly different format and Still Life is one of those songs that might really benefit from a heavier, more sinister live arrangement. That, along with Bruce's more mature delivery, would be amazing.

Alas! it won't happen, but as a wishful thinking and concert fantasy, it's great.

3. Brave New World
As an individual song, it's not quite as "era-defining" and modern classic as Paschendale or The Wicker Man, but I've always loved the majesty of it. Repetitive as the chorus is, I think there's some serious punch in it, after the intensively delivered verses. A bit like The Clansman, Blood Brothers and the mentioned The Wicker Man, I believe it would've been largely embraced as a crowd sing-along piece if it was played on a couple of more tours over the years. Maybe not to some extent as Blood Brothers, for example, but I believe it would have received a very warm welcome everywhere nonetheless. And personally, I could take it instead of, say, Fear of the Dark every now and then. Not going to say "any day", since I can get the significance FOTD has to many fellow fans attending those shows, but I'd be ready to shout and scream along that chorus.

I don't know, maybe it's just such a statement... I mean, yes, Maiden might have stepped to the "cabaret" territory over the years a bit more than I might have hoped and definitely more than their earlier comments around the matter from past years would suggest, but it's not like they're the only band whose gaps between releasing new music have stretched longer and longer. Nonetheless, Maiden has released six records with the current line-up and at least one is very likely still to come, and even with their most stubborn and hindering traits that come along, they're strong statements - for me anyway - of Iron Maiden still being relevant band that still has a lot of life left in it, and in a way, Brave New World gloriously emphasizes everything.

4. Stranger in a Strange Land
22 Acacia Avenue would have been a solid contender too, but just that solo alone would make this one a standout moment... I've never been the biggest Somewhere in Time fanatic - not that I'd dislike the record, quite the contrary, as I love it, but of all the songs and albums they've made, SiT stuff has never been quite on the top of the 1) BEST ALBUM EVER / 2) BEST SONG EVER / 3) THE SONGS YOU MOST WANT TO HEAR LIVE lists. It's great, but there's just stuff left and right that I slightly prefer more. And while I'd love to witness Sea of Madness - or Alexander - played live, I can understand that SiT songs, save the obvious, are tricky to throw into sets. And as I've often mentioned, I'm more than ok with the fact that I've heard Seventh Son and Sign of the Cross live but no ATG. If I could get it other way round, I'm not sure if I really wanted.

That all being said, I think Stranger in a Strange Land - a bit like Still Life - (or Icarus of the songs they actually have actually played recently) would work very well with heavy yet groovy live arrangement. The Ed-Huntour performances sound great, but I think what they'd now lack in the tempo would be made up with groove and weight. Of course, it's hard to say since it's not likely to be played, but I believe it could be turned to a very powerful live piece, with some appropriate stage effects. And mind you, how amazing the verses, or "what became of the man that started" with Bruce's current voice... I'd love it! Of course, tuning down a little bit would give it some different weight and depth, but I wonder if it's out of the question - even if they eventually decide to give this song one more go.

5. Infinite Dreams
Everything about this one has already been said. I very much wanted to leave this out, but apparently I can't.

Ok, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns would definitely be a worthy candidate too. As a song, I praise it over most of the songs I've listed, but... would it translate into live format quite as effectively as Paschendale, for example? Would it gain as much extra weight? Not sure! I would absolutely love it, no doubt, but I'm just trying to underline why I might prefer the songs mentioned earlier as live numbers.

But yeah, it's fairly good selection! Of course, not the most realistic around. Should I stick to actually realistic options, Powerslave would definitely be there, as I've managed to miss it and there's still relatively realistic chances for it to make an apperance, if we'll ever get new Maiden shows in the first place. And why not Children of the Damned, as the very same goes for it too. Songs like Die With Your Boots On, Heaven Can Wait, Be Quick or be Dead and whatnot are very cool, but hardly anything I'd really crave to witness live instead of other songs competing for the same setlist spots.

To Tame a Land
Caught Somewhere in Time
Sea of Madness
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Infinite Dreams

honorable mentions: Still Life, Purgatory, Charlotte the Harlot, Stranger in a Strange Land, Only the Good Die Young.

The Duellists (The most overlooked cut in their history, IMO)
The Red and The Black (Yea, I missed that tour)
The Great Unknown (Ditto)
Coming Home (Don't know if they did this one on that tour. Doesn't matter. I missed that one as well)
Phantom of the Opera ( Just the sheer balls out in your face attitude makes it a top5 )

Back