5 Iron Maiden songs you wish to see before they retire.

Both are perfect ways to close out their respective tours. WY is a nice sentiment for their album tour, a kind of proclamation of how they’re not wasting any of their time as they play their new songs live, and RTTH being as iconic as it is is a cool final classic to hear on LOTB.

Trying to be a bit serious here... :p

If we're talking about songs that are or were in the realm of realistic expectations, I've been very, very lucky. It's a bit hard to decide an "absolute Maiden bucket-list", but a couple of Seventh Son gems were definitely on that list... Looking back, say, ten years, I might have listed these:

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Infinite Dreams
For the Greater Good of God
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns/Moonchild
Sign of the Cross/Paschendale/dunno?

I'm a bit bummed that I couldn't get to those two O2 London shows in 2017 and therefore I missed the (possibly the last) chance to hear all those TBOS songs, along with Children of the Damned and Powerslave. It is also more or less justified to be a bit sad about the famous omission of Infinite Dreams for Maiden England cycle, but overall, that particular tour was a dream come true for me.

I saw, I heard, I witnessed

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son live. Opening with Moonchild and throwing The Prisoner, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Phantom of the Opera, Wasted Years and The Clairvoyant to the mix made that one hell of a gig, even without Infinite Dreams and whatnot.

So yeah, that's definitely one.

For the Greater Good of God might very well be another. I've always loved AMOLAD, it was one of the first albums I properly listened and discovered by them, and I've always loved the cheesy-yet-very-poignant lyrics and I'm a sucker for the main melody. I acknowledge the issues many fellow fans have with that particular songs, but nonetheless, it's a very special song for me and witnessing it live in 2018, and most likely again in 2020, is definitely sort of a "bucket list" thing for me.

Sign of the Cross. Thinking of all the longer songs they've played live, it's a song that I've always appreciated and loved both, the gloomy album version and more theatrical and dramatic live incarnations sung by Bruce. And oh boy, it was massive song to behold in The Legacy set. So yeah, another very potential "bucket list" moment.

Revelations is a song that I sort of expected to hear at some point, so it didn't came as quite as big "surprise" and "mind-blow" as Greater Good of God or Sign of the Cross, but nonetheless, it has always been song that I've deeply loved and wanted to hear live, so it's very appropriate to list it here.

As for the final pick, it's definitely a very challenging one.

Paschendale? Rime of the Ancient Mariner? Well, Infinite Dreams, but the chances are pretty non-existent.

So, I'm not able to provide the exact thing the title of this topic asks for. Instead, this became rather sentimental post about how lucky I have been when it comes to some of my very, very favourite songs. I mean, damn. I've seen like 4/5 of the songs that I've most wanted to see played live. That's fucking brilliant. Especially since I've only seen gigs from three tours (TFF, ME and LOTB - unfortunately missing out TBOS).

The point being, as sad as the case with Infinite Dreams indeed was and as much as I love to speculate and daydream about Maiden being just a tad bit too more adventurous with their setlist approach, my Maiden-ride has already been damn lucky one.

Below, a picture taken by me, capturing one of my most precious Maiden memories

.P7200126.JPG

Last edited:
Back