4th October 2006 - Hartford, Connecticut – USA

A

Anonymous

In order to keep things organised, only one thread should be opened for each concert date, containing gig reviews and pictures (when available). Please use these to post your impressions of the gigs and don't forget to use the spoiler tags (think of those who don't want to know until they attend a gig themselves!).

Thanks!  :)

I just got back from this show...and to say the least it was amazing. I'm not going to go into any specifics, but i'll just say that if you are an Iron Maiden fan, you must catch this tour. The band was in top form, the stage set was incredible, and setlist was pretty much exactly what i had hoped for. Of course, with maiden's vast catalogue of great music, you'll never get to hear every last song you'd like to...but i was thoroughly pleased. If this tour is coming anywhere near you, do not miss it!

Setlist:

Different World
These Colours Don't Run
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
The Pilgrim
The Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
Benjamin Breeg
Greater Good of God
Lord of Light
The Legacy
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
(encore)
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Evil that Men Do
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Very nice setlist! Of course there are dozens of my favourite songs missing from there, but it doesn't matter. I love all the songs on this setlist, and it's so different from the ones before. I don't mind at all that songs like
The Number of the Beast, Run To The Hills, Wrathchild and The Trooper
are left out. I really like 'em alot, but those are also heard like a million times before.

A Matter of Life and Death is the best album I have heard in ages.

Belenor said:
Hehe, looking at the setlist, I hope they will come to the Czech Republic next year :) Or release a live album.
I can't believe they did it... Hats off guys!
Concerning Belenor's hope for a live album, no worries, they'll do it. Maiden is going to release a live album after each new studio LP. No doubt about that.

Here's an email I received of someone who really enjoyed the show, but who was somehow surprised by the audience's response...

[tt]I would like to first say I was familiar with the recent album so I was very
pleased with the show. I have seen over 100 concerts in my life (36 years
old) with Maiden being a couple of them and never seen so many disappointed
hard core fans than this show? The sound, performances, stage and everything
else was flawless and incredible. Like you would expect in such an
incredible group. What people were not pleased about was after the third
song Bruce said we will be playing Benjamin in its entirety. That really
pissed people off! The local radio station 106.9 WCCC (awesome station, one
of the best in the country) had one of it's d.j.'s their and he said once
Bruce mentioned that a LOT of people left, got in their cars and left the
show. The lobby was jam packed with people until the last 5 songs and then
the lobby was empty, he stated. I thought it was one awesome show.
While leaving the show and walking to the car I heard a lot of people saying
they were not happy!
Still, when the show ended, the crowd was going wild and loud.[/tt]

Heh, it is sad that those who call themselves "hard core" Maiden fans have problems facing the fact that the setlist is what it is. I even did a mistake and visited IM official forum and, well, thanks God for IMC forum :) hehe. Well, I am not the hard core fan, I think, so maybe that's why I have no problem accepting the setlist.

It's been already revealed that the whole album is played. That's the problem, I think, because most of the songs are not that fast or do not have a simple chorus to be sung by an audience as some older material, and some people would like to scream their vocal chords off their throats, but this is not the case. As I recall viewing Death on the Road DVD bonuses, Bruce said something like people should start to listen for that is what the new pieces require. And I'm waiting to have that chance, to listen and then walk away with the feeling "Yeah! That've been a night to be remembered for a long time!"

(Well, the only thing I remember from my attendance at Death on the Road is that I was crushed from everyone around me and The Early Days - hehe sweat everywhere - these are my memories. Hopefully, the next time I see Maiden my memories will be better :)

Excellent setlist!

I'm 100% backing their decision to play the whole new record. I'm also very glad they left out The Number of the Beast, The Trooper and especially Wrathchild. I was waiting for this move for years. They cleverly picked the 5 classic songs. With the exception of Hallowed and IM (which are impossible to leave out) the other songs are from the after PoM period that was extensively covered in the last tour. The return of 2 minutes was obvious since it fits the war atmosphere of the new album. "The Evil" also returns.

It is a nice strategy not to play some of the classics for a couple of tours. That way the fans will miss them and happilly see them return in the setlist. For example I was bored with listening to "2 minutes" and "The evil" tour after tour. Now -after they were omitted for a couple of tours- I think they will sound less tiring, more fresh and I actually feel the need to listen to them. For sure it will be the same with "The Number" when it returns to the set in the (I hope not so near) future. I think that "Fear" is the song that will need to have some rest in the next tours...

I hope that some negative comments that will be heard across the globe about Maiden not playing the classics and so on, will not discourage them and make them change the setlist mid-tour. I think they will not, cause they are stubborn (and although sometimes it is not a good thing, I think this time will be for the Greater Good :)

P.S. The new album is <easily> the best since 1988 !
Can't wait to see them in Milan on December!
Up the Irons!

Maverick said:
Here's an email I received of someone who really enjoyed the show, but who was somehow surprised by the audience's response...
The show took place in the USA, perhaps the audience reaction would be different in Europe or other places in USA.

JackKnife said:
The show took place in the USA, perhaps the audience reaction would be different in Europe or other places in USA.

Yes, I think so too. Especially in Scandinavia where it will be a perfectly happy reaction... I think.

what a brave move..... I was thinking that they'll maybe play the whole album in Europe, but they wouldn't dare to do it in States......Let's hope that the recording of the live album will take place in Finland, I would like to see'em in Scandinavia before they split....Meanwhile I'm curious to see what will be the reaction by the French audience, I bet it will be a warm one considering that set-list after Hartford is not a surprise anymore

I am happy they did that, and lets hope they 'll continue doing it until December at least 

Maybe they decided to play the entire album to bully the Americans, I don't believe they are to fond of new Maiden material.

Belenor said:
Thanks! I like Bruce t-shirt on pic 81. What does it mean?
Picture098-vi.jpg
Some work for Maverick in the Commentary... :bigsmile:

Well,
I think "resistance is futile" is used in Star Trek as a sentence said by evil alien beings known as Borg, but I do not believe it is where Bruce's shirt came from :) The image reminds me more of X-Files than Star Trek

The show was bloody excellent!!! I was on the floor (Row P) and nobody left anywhere near me until the house lights came on. AMOLAD is much better live then the studio version IMHO. There was a higher energy level from the fans once they went into the older stuff, but I would venture that may be due to familiarity of the materials as opposed to contempt for the newer stuff. The median age of the attendees was probably 35+. Lot's of going grey (like myself) slightly overweight guys with the ears still ringing this morning :yey:

No "Trooper" or "Phantom..." :huh:  Disappointing, especially after how great "PotO" was on the last tour but the other songs should be enough to satisfy us.  I know one Kraut that'll be happy with TETMD :yey:
I would have preferred "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" or "Fortunes of War" to "2 Minutes" but the majority of the fans wouldn't be too happy I suppose.

Expect changes, it's early days yet ;)

Jeebus…I’m soooooooooo jealous of those who are going to get to see this show, my friends.
I mean Maiden’s got balls the size of church bells to do a set list like that. Especially in America where, well let’s face it, the general concert going public is a tad, shall we say, fickle. LOL…

And as far as people leaving during the show my guess is, and it’s only a guess, that they were probably fringe fans to begin with, so no big loss.

Besides, if you think about it, if say 1,000 fans leave a gig pretty much at the same time with 15,000 people in the arena to begin with then yes…it is gonna look like mass exodus of fans, but in reality, it is pretty much an insignificant number of people overall.

Well, I’ll be anticipating every pic and review that is posted here for this tour, and will be anticipating with every once of who I am for the inevitable DVD/CD release

JackKnife said:
Thanks! I like Bruce t-shirt on pic 81. What does it mean?
Not a Trekkie then? Belanor is correct that it was used in Star Trek by the Borg. Although it has also been used in many other Sci-fi stuff. The Daleks in "Doctor Who" had a few catchphrases ("You will obey", "Exterminate", etc.) and one of the was something like that.

Well, isn't that what the stupid robots from Krikkit say to Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect, as well?

Back