2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing

Norway is having an incredible Olympics, that's for sure. Canada not so much, although we won that lovely women's hockey gold last night. It's always better when you have to beat the Americans (twice) to win.
At least the USA men's team got a win vs Canada...

At least the USA men's team got a win vs Canada...
Yeah, the Canadians didn't even send a bunch of young kids, it was all washed up has-beens and one top prospect. It was a stinky team. If it was best on best, USA would have been steamrollered by Canada.

Rubbish! They have shortened the men's 50 km cross-country to 28,4 km due to weather conditions. Why couldn't they postpone it until tomorrow and have it before the women's 30 km? That one starts in the afternoon local time, so plenty of time to do both races the same day.

Rubbish! They have shortened the men's 50 km cross-country to 28,4 km due to weather conditions. Why couldn't they postpone it until tomorrow and have it before the women's 30 km? That one starts in the afternoon local time, so plenty of time to do both races the same day.
Ridiculous.

And what exactly does the russians have under their skis?

Gold number 14 for Norway today and we are heading towards a new record. Expecting us to end with at least 16! The olympics are turning out decent after all.
And we did end up with 16. Therese Johaug completely crushed the field in the women's 30km cross country skiing. Possibly her last olympic race ever.

She has now won 10 individual gold medals in championships in a row. What an amazing, amazing athlete.

In all honestly, the olympics have felt quite underwhelming. No audience, horrible conditions, covid looming and quite frankly a shitty place. Hoping for something special in four years.

In all honestly, the olympics have felt quite underwhelming. No audience, horrible conditions, covid looming and quite frankly a shitty place. Hoping for something special in four years.
Despite the Norwegian success, I tend to agree. If someone were not that into winter sports before these games, I don't think this would have them see the light.

As for the Norwegian success. We have a few athletes to thank for the majority of the medals: Johaug, as you mentioned - and biathletes Johannes Thingnes Bø and Marte Røiseland. And of these three, I think Bø is the only one we'll see in four years. I don't think the other two will retire now, but certainly before the next Olympics.

The future looks good with promising athletes in alpine skiing and ski jumping, I'm a bit worried for women's cross country though. Johaug has been a clear number 1 among female cross country skiers since the day Bjørgen and Kowalczyk retired, The rest of the Norwegian team is nowhere near her level and those who are closest are not the youngest either. I think the next Olympics will not see much success for the Norwegian cross country women. The men's team however, should be in good shape. It's hard to predict if any of them can take that step up where they consistently can challenge Bolshunov, though. He is a machine.

Happy that Finland won the ice hockey final :) just hope Putin doesn't launch the invasion of Ukraine just out of disappointment after losing.

Overall it was a disappointing Olympics for these reasons (that have nothing to do with results)

1) Anytime the games are in Asia, the time difference means a lot of replay events .. which is never as fun
2) US coverage had no on sight announcers, just a few people doing interviews
3) The Covid policy eliminated a lot of the coverage we would normally get (around the city, more with the athletes) .. and zero Covid policy being stupid in general at this point
4) The scenery was nothing impressive, no snow-covered peaks
5) Just general disgust with China
6) All the stuff around the Russian figure skaters (asshole coach and more Russian doping)

Probably more, but probably the least enjoyable Winter Olympics I have seen. I ave much higher hopes for the next one

Back